Looking for advise for AE program for NMF

Good advice on both accounts. Thanks, trying to be proactive. I will not undermine the achievement of a 3.75 (I have never pushed or asked for grades anyway), but I cannot help but think is a certain gpa is required for admission into an aerospace program, it must be obtainable, no?

Sure, and a 3.75 at Cal Poly or Mudd isn’t the same as a 3.75 at Brown (where everyone seems to be an A-student).

As an interesting anecdote though, I remember our son telling us about his first college test. It was in Honors Calc III. I asked him what the range was. He said “OH, there were scores in the 30’s!” There was no curve. Every student in the class score 5 on the BC test.

3 Likes

If he has an idea of where he’d like to work, have him contact them to get college suggestions. Many of our high schoolers do this as it can be part of a project our school has them do figuring out their pathway in life. Not all know where they want to work, but for those who do - even just a field they want to be in - it can be very helpful to know what those in the field consider good programs. Where do they hire from? Or do they care?

Most people working don’t mind at all helping those who come behind them find a good path. It’s worth some e-mails to see what results he gets if he knows a field.

Just chiming in. Check the requirements but many ways to get into AE field at least. Most top schools want over a 3.0 to get good internships and over 3.3-3.5 for selective ones but they also look at what your kid did at college not just grades. When your kid gets his first C ever don’t be surprised
 As my son told me “that was the good grade for that class”
 "lol

4 Likes

3.75 college GPA would be the kind of target GPA that stressed-out pre-meds chase (and most pre-meds do not get into any medical school).

Remember that a relatively selective college may get mostly students with 3.5 to 4.0 HS GPA and then spread them across the range of 2.0 to 4.0 college GPA. For most students, earning a 3.75 college GPA will be much harder than earning a 3.75 HS GPA.

The 3.0 college GPA that is a common cutoff for preferential recruiting by employers is much more attainable. But it means that if the student is shut out of the desired majors with a college GPA in the 3.0 to 3.74 range, the student may not have a chance at all for the desired kind of employment associated with those majors.

3 Likes

At my daughter’s engineering school, the gpa required to keep academic scholarships was 2.8, and some students did lose them. To retain the Bright Futures award, the student needed a 3.2 for the top award and a 3.0 for the second level. BF didn’t care if the student was in engineering or basket weaving, didn’t care if they were at UF or at an ‘easy’ college, that was the required gpa. Engineers complained that their classes were harder than art or Spanish, but BF didn’t care.

Daughter worried about it for 2-3 semesters, until she’d built up a good base gpa. One bad class could have doomed her.

2 Likes

Is the SAT 1500? Any insight into what he will include in his application besides stats?

USC may check off several of his boxes with the exception of climate. If he is NMSF and is accepted, he will automatically receive a Presidential half-tuition scholarship.

Once a student is accepted into Viterbi, they are accepted into all Viterbi majors so they can change their mind and majors with ease.

1 Like

USC? as in Southern California? I was not aware they gave anything to NMF. His sat was 1550 (790 math) and 36 act. He was very interested in Berkeley for a while, but we thought, without major scholarship funds, a Purdue would be cheaper with arguable a better AE reputation.
does the Presidential half-tuition scholarship apply to all uc schools? how about oos ?

USC (University of Southern California) is not a UC school, it is a private school and NMF’s do get 1/2 tuition. California UC’s offer no merit scholarships for NMF’s.

1 Like

U of South Carolina, at least used to give money for NMF.

thank you for the clarification. my bad

All schools have strengths and weaknesses. No school, I mean NO school is without its warts, often only found after a student begins matriculating. So, don’t take this as an aspersion to any school. I would not pay more money to attend UCB.

There is something to be said about picking a school ultimately near where the student wants to live. You can find jobs anywhere, but much of the recruiting is local, and makes exposure to companies in that area easier.

1 Like