Looking for insights on CC!

Hello~My youngest is entering her senior year and is narrowing her college choices/has started several applications. CC has recently sent some emails and she’s considering adding it to her “list”. We’re OOS/east coast and would appreciate any insight as we’re not familiar with the college. It looks like a very competitive school, so we’re trying to decide if applying/visiting, etc. would be worthwhile. She’s undecided but leaning toward business.

3.7 GPA (UW)
31 ACT
Top 25% of class
Will graduate with 7 AP classes (no AP math; all are history, english, psych, and environ scieince classes)
Solid ECs/very involved: SCA President this coming year; SCA VP junior year; several Honor Societies (National, English, Journalism); Managing Editor for school paper; sits on school advisory council with Superintendent; golf team; basketball team manager; volunteers outside of school as a mentor for students with special considerations; works PT (15 hrs per week).

She is a well-rounded and solid student who contributes a lot to her classes and clubs but has Bs in math and foreign language. She only took 3 years of foreign language. She doesn’t take every AP class offered at her school, but has done very well in all of the AP classes she has completed (As in class and 4s & 5s on AP exams). No hooks.

It is all about the essay. The stats which you mention put the student toward the bottom of the ‘middle fifty’ of accepted students. The number of AP classes is actually below average, if you can believe it. ECs seem on target. But again, the main thing is the essay. If an essay demonstrates that a student understands what CC is about, it is pretty easy to get admitted. The CC essays are not like other schools, where a generic essay could be submitted to a dozen good schools. The CC essay invites a student to establish why they belong. That goes a long way toward admission

One thing to consider is that they are on what is called the “Block Plan”. A friend with a high stats kid, transferred out after the first year and said it was too much for her.
See this post by someone who taught there:
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/15787923/#Comment_15787923

As with any school, it doesn’t come down to what someone else did, but what is right for you/your kid and that part of the country makes for a beautiful college road trip. Be sure to include CU Boulder and DU while in Colorado.

You may find this class profile interesting:
https://www.coloradocollege.edu/basics/welcome/overview/classprofile/

My son will begin his Second Year at CC in a few weeks. Based on his grades, I am surprised that he got accepted to CC. So why was he accepted? As one of the posters above says, the essays seem to matter a great deal to CC, They are looking for a good fit with the school and the curriculum. Another thing that I think helped my son was “demonstrated interest” in CC. He visited for the first time during Spring Break of his JR year and then went back for an overnight during the Fall of his SR year. Also, he applied Early Action which as the stats also makes a huge difference as opposed to regular Decision. Finally, he was not requesting any financial aid which like it or not matters a lot at CC. .

My son loves the school and did well academically his first year. He worked very hard- there is not much chance to slack off with the Block System. As a parent, I loved the fact that he and everyone else needed to be in class 5 days a week from 9-12. He also developed some really nice relationships with professors and got involved in some clubs and activities. He loves the outdoors which helps.

I have heard the student body described as “smart, quirky” kids. My son used the phrase “rich hippies”.

All in all, I think its a great undergrad school in a pretty area of the country. I would encourage you and your child to visit.

DD just started in August, but is deliriously happy. Talked to her tonight: she had 3hours of class in Mandarin, followed by working at the gym, followed by an adjunct class in dance, followed by 2 hours in tutoring in Mandarin, followed by a half hour on the climbing wall, followed by a new girl’s club for skateboarding and homework. She says the food is excellent (vegan), the people are amazing, and she has forged excellent friendships already.