Non-traditional International Student

HI. I ma international student who moved to the United States 2yrs ago. So, my English is not good, but I think not that bad,neither. I’d never taken AP class. However, I am taking AP European History, biology, and calculus this senior year. My gap is 95%, approximately 3.8~3.9. I really want to get into CC, so I will apply ED 2. I know my ACT is obviously is much lower than average test scores. But, I moved 2 yrs ago and my ACT score does not quietly show myself and my academic ability. My question is how much chance I can get in to CC if my common app essay and supplement essay are great.

Another question! does college visiting affect on my application strongly?
Thx

Hi! I’m applying ED1 this year.

I’ve read in several places that CC loves seeing a hard course load, so the fact that you are taking AP classes is a step in the right direction. I was born in the US to a family who doesn’t speak any English, so my English scores aren’t that great either. My essays were okay – a little subpar – but other people have stressed that essays are very important to CC! I would put a lot of effort into making my essays perfect and individualistic to showcase your strengths, how you fit in with CC, and how you are different from the rest of the applicants.

If you get the chance, I highly recommend scheduling an interview and possibly doing a college visit. I haven’t done a visit yet as I live on the east coast, but I have done an interview with a college rep. I feel like my interview definitely helped, but the major stress here is on the essay. I wish I made mine stronger and more personable.

Good luck!

I did not visit until after I got accepted ED for the Class of 2019. They say that an interview is not necessary, but from what I know about CC now, it can definitely be an advantage for someone right on the line. I did interview at Duke, Vanderbilt, Rice and Penn. None of those meetings seemed all that important to the interviewer. At CC, I can state that the people in Admissions really want to learn and are interested in what the applicant has to say.

Can you tell your general academic information like ACT and GPA

Weighted GPA - 4.65 / 4
Unweighted GPA - 3.96 / 4
ACT Composite - 32
Class Rank - 1 / 590
No sports but decent honor society ECs
3 Standard classes, 7 Honors classes, 8 AP classes, 8 college classes

My State allows students to take college classes instead of traditional HS classes. So I spent my last year of HS as a full time college student.

Getting into CC is all about 2 things: rigor and essays. The admissions people want to see that we challenge ourselves (rigor of classes in HS) and that we understand CC and its educational mission ( essays.) It is just my opinion, but it seems like GPA and standardized test scores don’t matter as much as proving that you want to dive into learning head first.

I decide to visit CC in next 3 weeks. Thank you so much!!