Looking for interesting Engineering/CS programs similar to [University of Mississippi] CME

So much great info on here and hoping to gather the wisdom of this knowledgeable crowd. TIA.

Second time through the college search, but this time with a science/math student looking for interesting Engineering/CS programs. We are from Chicago, DS is a Junior - has a 4.0 (W) and 3.8 (UW), lots of AP’s, two sport athlete all 4 years and a 33 ACT.

Looking for larger E/CS school + rah-rah school spirit and sports, so smaller tech schools are out. Will apply to (Reaches) UIUC and Purdue and (Safeties) Iowa and Ole Miss.

DS very intrigued by Ole Miss CME program and wondering if anyone knows of other similar programs - this is where we need help. Even with CME, you really have to know about it or dig through their website. Hoping to get a start on a list of similar interesting programs from this seasoned crowd.

Restrictions would be 10 to 12 hour drive from Chicago and >$45k total tuition/R&B.

By CME, do you mean https://cme.olemiss.edu/ ?

I suppose you meant “less than” $45k total COA?

Do you qualify for financial aid? Or are you only looking at schools that provide merit aid to bring the COA within that budget?

I don’t know if this is similar to the CME program you are talking about (I have a hard time finding the actual curriculum in the link posted by @ucbalumnus), but my son thought this program was interesting: UCONN Management and Engineering for Manufacturing

He applied this year and was accepted with a sizable automatic merit scholarship that would have made the COA approximately $33K for us (OOS from CA).

1 Like

Yes COA, but I don’t want books, transportation, etc. Apples to apples is tuition and R/B. Merit only, as we found with child #1 no Fin Aid coming our way.

1 Like

Yes, the Ole Miss Center for Manufacturing Excellence.

I would learn more. If you can combine with mechanical - yes. But this seems to be tied to general engineering with a manufacturing focus. Their mechanical is abet accredited. General is not and that would be a deal breaker.

I’d ask for outcomes if you still decide to do this.

But there are abet accredited manuf engineering programs. My son will work in manuf engineering but with a mech e degreee from Bama.

Abet programs are Northwestern, UConn, Miami Ohio and Wichita State that meet your time challenge. ND State too.

30 in all.

Go to search programs and category and disciplines.

https://www.abet.org/accreditation/find-programs/

1 Like

According to Ole Miss’ website, it’s the only program of its kind in the nation:

What part of the program is appealing to your son?

When it says, “Learn About Their Experience” it leads to this article which includes this passage:

A week before the fall semester officially began, the 44 Ole Miss students in the class fanned out across Mississippi manufacturing sites, with 15 students visiting Ingalls Shipbuilding in Pascagoula, 14 students going to Viking Range in Greenwood and 15 students spending time at VIP Cinema Seating in New Albany.

At each plant, students were divided into three groups and tasked with solving a specific problem on the respective factory floors.

From the Interim Executive Director’s welcome letter it says:

CME students are engaged in one of the most unique undergraduate programs in the nation. The philosophical foundation of the coursework rests upon the lean manufacturing approach which places a focus on respect for people and continuous improvement. Our innovative instructional designs rely upon an interdisciplinary, experiential methodology. This is accomplished by bringing together a select group of diverse students in a collaborative learning environment designed to replicate the practical challenges of modern manufacturing. CME members take both academic and hands-on courses that teach the principles of accountancy, engineering, business, communication, and continuous improvement through the lens of manufacturing. Upon completion of the program, CME students are awarded a minor or emphasis in manufacturing in addition to their major degree of study.

If he’s interested in manufacturing engineering, there are 26 schools that offer an ABET-accredited bachelor’s in manufacturing engineering. The ones that might be within an 11ish hour drive of Chicago are:

• Bradley (IL)
  • Central State (OH)
  • Grand Valley State (MI)
  • Miami (OH)
  • U. of Michigan – Dearborn
  • North Dakota State
  • Northwestern (IL)
  • Robert Morris (PA )
  • U. of Southern Indiana
  • St. Cloud State (MN)
  • Virginia State

If he’s looking for a lot of hands-on work, I’ve heard that U. of Louisville (KY) is a good program, modeled after Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo. Your son would almost certainly receive good merit at Louisville.

UNH has the John Olson Advanced Manufacturing Center as part of their college of engineering:

First year students can dive in as an Innovation Scholar. Innovation Scholars | College of Engineering and Physical Sciences

Merit would likely be triggered.

The drive is a bit out of range, but lots of direct flights to Boston and Amtrak stops is on campus from Boston along with buses and other options.

1 Like

Thanks for all the tips and resources. Will definitely look more into that Louisville program.

What is interesting to him about CME is the experience of working with a cohort of mixed majors, like business and accounting to take on projects with manufacturers to solve some problems.

1 Like

What I would see is - can the student major in mechanical or something ABET accredited and still work with CME? Or you might see industrial engineering at other schools.

The general engineering with manufacturing focus is not ABET accredited and many many job apps require this to get hired.

Sounds like a fine program overall. And Ole Miss (and Miss State) are both inexpensive so you’ll save on your budget.

Best of luck.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.