Major in Nursing for Physical Therapy Grad School?

<p>I wanna know if thats possible: Major in nursing and then take other prerequisites in order to get accepted in to PT school. It would be nice to be both a nurse and PT (say if I was to open my own business or work part time in both). I also actually DO have the passion to work in both unlike other people. Has anyone ever heard of this?</p>

<p>Please give me a counter reason so that I don't ruin myself. Thanks.</p>

<p>Great question. I’m actually wondering this myself. It’s quite a unique background in my opinion.</p>

<p>Very progressive idea. I think you would have to compare the two curriculums to see where they overlap and what is missing. There are different routes to being an R.N. but I think now you must go all the way to a doctorate level to be a PT.</p>

<p>I intend to earn a doctorate in PT, I don’t think the curricula overlap but maybe I could take extra prerequisites.</p>

<p>You might want to just get an AA in nursing then since your end goal is PT. Then you will have only spent 2 years but you will have acquired patient care experience and essentially have a broader view of what is going on with the patient.</p>

<p>I think I’ll get a B.S. at a CSU in nursing or UC Irvine and then go to physical therapy grad school. I really want the best of both worlds. But I’ll take your suggestion into consideration.</p>

<p>I think having a BSN degree is a better way to go too. Gives you even more options.</p>

<p>Funny I’m considering majoring in Nursing (BSN) and possibly continuing to MPT or DPT. In order to be accepted in an accredited PT program, you must first have a Bachelors degree. Then 3+ years in PT program. I have the passion for both because of my brother with CP. I assume BSN covers some prerequisites.</p>

I’m so glad to have found this post! I also want to get my BSN and apply for DPT school?". Just incase PT doesn’t work out and I have something to fall back on. How did it work out for you? :slight_smile: