Major Was Changed in the AIS

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I am applying as a in-state first time freshman. I have a 4.0 GPA, 29 ACT Composite and I'm valedictorian of my class. I applied on October 16th, and got all my transcripts in on October 30th. I still haven't heard ANY word, it's been on step 3 for over 4 months. </p>

<p>Today I logged in and notice my major was changed from Aerospace Engineering to General Studies. Why is this? I researched it online and some say that you'd need to take summer school classes if this happens? There's no way I'm doing that with my stats..</p>

<p>if you are valedictorian, wouldn’t you be auto admit?</p>

<p>It looks like you are going to be admitted but you are not going to be in Aerosspace Engineering. A&M has rolling admissions, you applied late and most likely your first choice aero was full. Even as a valedictorian, you have to apply early to get the major you want, the only thing that is guranteed is your admission. You can do freshman year in General Studies and transfer into Aero if you do the right courses, I wouldn’t be terribly concerned.</p>

<p>Hmm I didn’t think applying in October would be late… Seeing as some people got admitted already when they applied in December.</p>

<p>Looks like I’m going to UT then.</p>

<p>Application period is August 1 - January 15. October 16th isn’t early when you are trying to get into a very competitive program.</p>

<p>I applied on November the 20th-25th (when everything was in) and was accepted into aerospace a couple of days later. I think it was around December 4th-ish. I don’t know why you didn’t get in, especially since you applied earlier than me and are a valedictorian. You should definitely call and see what’s up, but it’s probably too late. Don’t worry though. Once May 1st comes around, a few spots may open up–perhaps even mine if I end up at UT. Don’t fret.</p>

<p>Sent from my Desire HD using CC App</p>

<p>Being validictorian gives you a tuition waiver and automatic admission to A&M. There is no where stated it is a guarantee for first choice major. I would be interested if our validictorian had the sat/act test scores to support admission to aero. You stated a 29 on the ACT. What was your math component DariusBieber?</p>

<p>It was a 26, and also still haven’t received any word yet - not even on an inquiry I sent to them last week.</p>

<p>My oldest son is a sophomore aerospace major at A&M. There is in fact a minimum SAT/ACT math score required for admission to the engineering school. I can’t remember what it was when my son was applying (and can’t find anything in his admissions papers now), but he had a 27 on the math section, 30 overall. All engineering students have to take an online math placement exam before their freshman year (unless exempted due to high AP exams, etc). The score of that, along with your SAT/ACT score, will determine where you will be placed in your first math class. My son ended up having to take Math 150 first (instead of jumping directly into Math 151). He was right on the border, and we were originally tempted to appeal that he be placed directly into Math 151, so he wouldn’t be “behind”. As it ends up, he was MUCH BETTER OFF taking Math 150 first. He is doing well in his classes as a sophomore. As he said, “I now have a better foundation in Maroon Math” (whatever that is!!)</p>

<p>The math placement website has practice tests, etc. Start practicing now, DariusBieber. My son did NO advance preparation. Maybe you can ask them if you can take their placement exam now, and if you do well enough, it will show you are ready for engineering. Good Luck! (BTW, do not be too discouraged not hearing from them too promptly. It seems to be much slower this year (I have another son who’s a senior with a 2200 SAT, and things are moving VERY SLOWLY for him with A&M and UT as well!)</p>

<p>Math placement exam info from A&M website:
[ESSAP</a> - Math Placement Exam Explanation](<a href=“http://essap.tamu.edu/math-placement.htm]ESSAP”>http://essap.tamu.edu/math-placement.htm)
[Math</a> Placement Exam Requirements and Exemptions for 2012 | New Aggie](<a href=“http://newaggie.tamu.edu/nsc/testing/math]Math”>http://newaggie.tamu.edu/nsc/testing/math)
<a href=“https://mathplacement.tamu.edu/precal-cas/[/url]”>https://mathplacement.tamu.edu/precal-cas/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>One more thing - my son recently explored the idea of switching to another engineering major and most, if not all of them, have a waiting list. So choose carefully. Aero and Nuclear are considered among A&M students to be the most difficult engineering majors.</p>

<p>DariusBieber CALL admissions. They get tons of email. The engineering college has a minimum scores for math, for ACT it is 24. I wonder if at a 26 there are simply better candidates for Engineering? No way to know until you call. I do know that Dewight Engineering College is very competitive and only the best candidates for engineering are selected. This year’s candidates may just have surpassed you in your math scores which is a major factor in acceptance.
My next questions is about the interest you have shown in A&M. There are specific questions on A&M’s application about these things and they are very important.
Have you made an official Campus visit?
Did you make an official visit with Dwight Engineering College?
Did you attend any of the activities A&M does for high school Jr/Sr’s?
You made a statement about your stats - however, your ACT score isn’t even at auto admit level. What stats are you talking about?</p>

<p>Thank you for all the information, as an immigrant I do not know much of the American College Ways, especially since my parents don’t know either. Any help is very much appreciated and I will certainly take the preliminary exams seriously.</p>

<p>The stats I was referring to is that I’ve taken all Honors classes possible, and I have maintained a 4.0 in my dual credit college courses, both high A’s. I have a 4.0+ if it’s weighted for those Honors Classes. In addition, all my math courses (Algebra I and II, Trig, Calculus) have high A’s (95 or above).</p>

<p>I have not made an “official” campus visit, so I answered no to those questions.</p>

<p>Are you an international student?</p>

<p>Sorry, just read you are an in-state student.</p>

<p>No problem, yes I went to a Texas High School.</p>

<p>October is certainly not too late in the application process. Engineering is competitive but not THAT competitive (with maybe a couple of disciplines being an exception). There’s got to be a detail we are missing.</p>

<p>I know for a fact that there were still spots open in Aerospace Engineering right around November 30th. DS changed his major into Engineering at that point. Here is a way to check to see if you missed anything. Go into AIS and look at the bottom of the page. Look to see if you got any “Alerts”. Any information missing from the application package would be listed there. You will also find when TAMU received each component of the application. You should be able to make some assessment from that information.</p>