majoring in journalism?

<p>I have always wanted to be a news anchor and i am planning on majoring in some type of journalism but i know it is a very competitive field.. if i want to be succesful and make decent money is it worth pursuing a career in journalism or should i major in nursing and minor in journalism even though they do not correlate at all... and if journalism was my minor would i ever be able to get a job in that field? or if i majored in journalism and minored in nursing how would that affect my chances of getting a job in either field?</p>

<p>You can get a job in that field without a journalism degree. In journalism, everything is about how much experience you have, so make sure you get involved with student media at your school. Have you thought about majoring in Communications, English, or something else that might help you as a journalist?</p>

<p>What you could do is double major in journalism and biology. There are medical correspondent jobs for broadcast stations. For example, Sanjay Gupta of CNN is extremely successful juggling his medical practice and his reporting duties. However, I believe Gupta has not had any “formal” journalism/broadcast education. Many journalists, for that matter, do not major in journalism in their undergrad years but somehow become journalists down the road.</p>