Marketing Major or Human Resources Management

<p>My daughter needs to decide between Marketing and Human Resources Management within the School of Business. She is taking the introductory courses in both majors this semester and likes them equally.</p>

<p>Any input into the advantages/disadvantages of the two options?</p>

<p>Former L&S major with cert. from School of Business. If she likes both equally she should be able to choose both or do a certificate in the other. I’d look at it as an opportunity to compliment her degree in one of them with an internship in the other. I’ve found, both in my own life and the same has been true for many of my peers, with the current job market, the major “matters,” but not nearly as much as hands-on experience obtained from outside opportunities and internships. If she’s truly interested in both, flip a coin, or hold of on a formal decision until some real experience comes in the form of an internship. That’s all I did–it was painfully clear how much I hated pharmacy after a summer internship, which prompted my change to business in the first place. </p>

<p>The major is only so important, especially between HR and Marketing (where you see a lot of “flow” between once in the professional world).</p>

<p>Thanks very much, MNBadger, for your insight. It makes alot of sense and I will try and impart that upon my daughter (who is concerned about choosing classes for next semester in a couple of weeks). She also is planning on studying in Seville second semester next year which complicates the course scheduling a bit since we want her to graduate in 4 years - not much space in her schedule to take extra classes when she has to worry about what her limited course options are abroad.
At any rate I like your idea about the internships and actual experience…working on that for this summer right now!</p>