Match Me; Florida Senior looking for out of state school [3.3 GPA, 1280 SAT; math + pre-med]

Demographics

• US Citizen
  • Florida; Hialeah (I will prefer East Coast Universities but this is not a requirement, just a preference)
  • Charter School:
  • Male, White, Hispanic:

Intended Major(s)
Considering Mathematics, but I will be taking electives to fulfill my pre-med requirements because medicine is something I’m interested in and am will to pursue so it might be possible that I would switch to a more related major if I end up liking it more than mathematics.

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 3.3
  • Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): 4.5
  • Class Rank: 73 out of 456
  • SAT Score: 1280

Coursework
AP World History: 4
AP Psychology: 3
AP Human Geography: 5
AP European History: 3
AP United States History: 3
AP Physics: 1
AP English Language & Composition: 4
AP Art History: 4
17 Dual Classes

Awards
AP Scholar with Honors

Extracurriculars
3-4 Years Learning and Using 3D Modeling Program Blender
1 Year Accounting Internship
America on Tech Program
1 Year SECME Club Historian

Essays/LORs/Other
My current essay is outdated, this was back when I was considering doing Economics, and it is slightly above average, maybe 5.5-7 out of 10, it was done fairly rushed however. It was about Legos, Hurricanes, and is honestly too pessimistic for my taste
I am working on a new essay about my interest in alchemy and maybe my grandmother opening up the world of science and physics to me

Cost Constraints / Budget
Thankfully, my mom has told me that budget is not my concern, she is willingly to pay it; that being said, I will not consider those public schools that discourage out of state by raising their prices ridiculously high.

Schools
Applied ED to UVA
Applied to UF

• Safety FIU

Have you used the NPC for UVA? Do you qualify for FA? Is your mother ok with the cost (without FA) which is at least $75,000 a year for OOS students?

Did you apply to any other Florida schools, and did you hear back from your safety? The SUNY schools are reasonable (compared to others) for OOS students, and SUNY Oneonta gives an automatic $8000 scholarship to all OOS students, bringing the cost down to under $30,000 a year.

That being said, adjusting to a school in upstate NY might be hard (or maybe not), and I would try and remain instate.

1 Like

Look into St Olaf! It’s in MN, so it’s far away&cold but it means they have few applicants from FL and they’re nationally known for math. Don’t forget to run the NPC.
https://wp.stolaf.edu/admissions/

3 Likes

So UVA is very expensive and exactly what you said you are looking to avoid. but alas you’re unlikely as you are to UF. If you want East Coast, look at U of SC, U Del, U Maine, College of Charleston, UNC Wilmington, SUNY Schools, URI. UVA does meet need at least and maybe that’s why it’s on your list ?

Are you a senior. For some schools it’s too late.

Pre med can be done most anywhere. You needn’t spend the big bucks. There’s little advantage.

You will have to do well on MCATs so your testing and grades will have to get better.

Best of luck.

1 Like

Seconding UMaine, UDel!

Get a definite budget # from your mom though, run NPCs with her for St Olaf, UMaine, Dickinson, UDel, Marist, Ithaca, ConnCollege, WheatonMA, Muhlenberg…

In FL, why not USF?
Have you applied to FIU Honors?

To increase your odds, you could choose ED2 where he NPC shows the lowest cost.

1 Like

If you are serious about pre-med, then you should try to find an affordable university for your bachelor’s degree. Medical school is insanely expensive and you do not want to start with a debt. If you can keep some $$ in the college fund for medical school (or other graduate programs) that might be a good plan also.

Both mathematics and pre-med are subjects that are well taught at a very wide range of universities.

I agree with other answers, both in terms of seriously considering in-state public universities, and in considering U.Maine as an option. Up here in the northeast UNH is also a possible option for you, as might be U.Mass Lowell.

Pre-med classes are tough. You are going to need to put in a very strong effort to maintain a
“medical school worthy” GPA in the tough premed classes. Whether math is tough or not might depend upon how well you take to math. If you ever wanted to get back to economics, having a solid grounding in math can be useful.

I have not checked the application deadlines, but I know that some are either coming up or already past. The last time that I checked U.Mass Lowell had a slightly later deadline than some other schools in this area.

2 Likes

Lowell deadline is Jan 5 and once the app is in, apply to the honors college:

2 Likes

Some of the small liberal arts colleges would love a student like you and many offer merit and aid. Run the net price calculator to get an idea but some might award merit that doesn’t show on the NPC or your family finances might not translate well for an accurate assessment like if there’s a business or own property besides your main home. Elizabethtown College, Juniata, Allegheny, Ursinus, and Susquehanna are all in Pennsylvania. They have good academics and are known to be supportive.

4 Likes

all excellent and known for premed support! Look into them :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For an example of an LAC that offers notable breadth in mathematical disciplines, look into St. Lawrence, which offers majors in math, statistics and data science.

1 Like

We really need to know whether you qualify for need-based aid or not, as that will strongly influence the advice given. Your choice of UVA ED - one of the rare public flagships that gives need-based aid to OOS students - hints that you might qualify for aid; but your statement about your mom paying doesn’t make clear whether she can pay the balance after aid, or the full “sticker price.”

Math is a great premed major. What kind of math interests you? An applied math/stats type major is very useful for research, public health, etc. Would that interest you, or do you more enjoy pure/theoretical math?

3 Likes

There’s a student whose mom posts on cc. They are at Rhodes. It’s one of many schools with a tie in to LECOM. You might look at the LECOM early admission program. Most on the list are easier admits than UVA and UF and will be more affordable than UVA.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your reply! I just did the NPC and it estimated around $12,000 in price for UVA, and I used the info I used for questbridge so I know it is accurate.

I haven’t heard yet from any Florida schools :frowning:

I will check out the SUNY schools, thank you :smile:

3 Likes

Good luck! We will be rooting for you.

1 Like

I understand; UVA was certainly a rushed and impulsive decision, although, thankfully it is unlikely I will have to pay that much due to my financials. It was not incredibly well thought-out, I just applied ED as it was decent and applying ED somewhere potentially bad was better than not applying ED anywhere in my mind (and my mother’s :sob: ) This is maybe why it looks out of place

I am a senior in High School!

Thank you for everything and for the recommendations, I will check all of these out :raised_hands:

Not sure why FIU Honors went over my head; just searched it up and I qualify, this is why you guys are amazing :sob: :raised_hands:

Thank you for those suggestions as well, always appreciated!!

3 Likes

Please tell me what is “bad” about UVA? It’s. Great university.

2 Likes

Not that is bad, it is great, but that for me it is not what I need or is what I should avoid :frowning:

I guess I’m a bit thrown off because you said:

Cost Constraints / Budget
Thankfully, my mom has told me that budget is not my concern, she is willingly to pay it; that being said, I will not consider those public schools that discourage out of state by raising their prices ridiculously high.

But you feel UVA could work because it’s $12K a year.

So this tells me you do have budget constraints - which will make things tougher.

Your best bet might be staying in state - or a college like Berea if you wanted smaller.

Unless FIU is preferred, you might add other Florida publics as well. FAU Wilkes is small and focused but your GPA isn’t close - but your test is - so you never know. Or I know the U (Miami) has a program with a community college - it might be another option.

I do suggest you really discuss budget with mom before applying to out of state or private schools we might have suggested because your most recent posting changes the overall calculation of what OOS schools might be good for you - assuming a $12K or even $20K budget, none of those listed above.

Best of luck.

I do generally qualify for need-based aid; I ran the NPC for UVA in another comment and it listed the amount my mother would have to pay at around $11,000-$12,000 (from the $75,000 it would normally cost, so quite a reduction :grin:). I’m not sure what more info I could give although I would be happy to share if something is missing

Honestly, this is a tough question about theoretical vs applied mathematics as I can enjoy both but I might lean to theoretical math, however, in all honestly, I have not even considered applied mathematics as a potential option, thank you! :raised_hands: :grin:

1 Like