Math 222

<p>So, maybe you've heard, but I was wondering if there's a truth to the rumor: Is Math 222 actually the most failed class on campus? I've only heard it by word of mouth, and I haven't found anything even mildly official suggesting that it is indeed the most failed class, so I was wondering if anyone 'round here knew. ;] Maybe I'm better off knowing, but it's kinda making me nervous.</p>

<p>If it's true, that could be why my advisor was insanely insistent upon me taking Math 221 instead... :P</p>

<p>Most. Don't know but some for sure. Scroll down.</p>

<p><a href="http://apa.wisc.edu/grades/Fall2007GradeDistributions.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://apa.wisc.edu/grades/Fall2007GradeDistributions.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Find out why your advisor recommends that you start calc over (email them). Did you get the lowest AP score possible to get 221 credit? How easy was AP calc for you? College level calc is much more rigorous than HS AP calc, especially at schools of UW's caliber. If you didn't "sail through" AP calc you may not have learned the material very well and may benefit from the UW course (college courses usually cover more material than the AP courses that can replace them). Do not worry about losing AP credits, it is better to get a firm foundation in math for the subsequent courses you take.</p>

<p>Ooh, thanks for the link, barrons.</p>

<p>I already know some reasons why she suggested it; she said that it would be easier for me to repeat 221 so I'd be more likely to get a better grade (because a strong gpa that first semester is important), and to transition better into college mathematics. Personally, I don't want to waste my time with a class in which I already know the material. I had a pretty easy time in my AP Calc class, and I do like math. I'm even reviewing this month to make sure I haven't forgotten any key concepts. However, that may be why it is failed a decent amount; because of AP kids that skipped, and it turned out their knowledge of math wasn't that great.</p>

<p>Another thing I'm worried about is that I took the TU/TR section, instead of a MWF, which adds on the rigor. Now I'm thinking about switching that, but I'd wind up with a professor that apparently isn't as good (according to ratemyprofessors.com, anyway).</p>

<p>Having 3 versus 2 lectures per week doesn't change the material covered/rigor, it merely means doing 1 or 1 1/2 class hours of lecture at a time- presuming the course number is the same. This format is new since my eons ago time- it is great in offering more flexibilty for scheduling other classes. Choose the format that best fits your schedule and gives you the best professor, you will spend the same number of hours in class each week regardless of which you go with. You will get the same amount of time for discussions, that is where you will interact and ask your questions. Since you are reviewing the 221 material and had no trouble with AP calculus you probably will do well in 222. Hint- remember to make use of TA and Professor office hours when you have questions not handled with lectures or discussions, that's why they have them.</p>

<p>Hey Pathetique (interesting choice of username..),
I took Calc 222 the spring semester of 06-07, my freshman year. Like you, I also took AP Calc AB in high school and was nervous about the infamous 'most failed class'. However, I would say that your success in the class depends on how regularly you practice (and by regular, I do mean everyday for an hour), and how willing you are to ask questions when you don't understand material. Common sense, right?</p>

<p>First of all, don't let the phrase 'most failed class' intimidate you. Even my prof at the time, Malekpour, mentioned it as such but I think more as a joke. It's not the life-or-death class it's made out to be, as long as you keep up with it and get a firm grasp on the book's examples and your TA's methods. The prof will give you a pretty good idea of what will show up on the exam based on what's presented and emphasized more in class. So, pay attention and don't fall asleep, even if it's an 8am class!</p>

<p>However, I do know that my high school's strong math class junior year (Analytic Geometry and Discrete Math) prepared me really well for Calc 2. We looked at 3D geometry, did some proofs, even worked with some series. This is where a strong or weak high school math background could help or hurt you.</p>

<p>A week before I started the spring semester I saw flyers up for a quick review course in Calc I major concepts who were continuing to Calc 2 in college, but hadn't dealt with Calc I in a while. You should keep an eye out for something like this. I think it's offered by the math dept, so check out Van Vleck.</p>

<p>And lastly, while you may think re-taking Calc I to get used to the college pace won't be too hard, the story could turn out quite different. I know of a few pre-med students who basically erased their AP Calc scores to take Calc 221 (this is what you would have to do), and ended up with a equally, if not more challenging, class than Calc 2. Remember, Calc 1 and 2 are probably the two most frequently taken freshman math courses. From what I heard, they were required to do long proofs on some exams and ended up with grades less satisfactory than expected. Of course, take this with a grain of salt, because they could have been expecting an easy course and just not put the necessary amount of time into it.</p>

<p>If AP Calc AB was pretty smooth for you, and you think you'd get bored retaking the class, you probably will. Plus, what's wrong with a little challenge?</p>

<p>Hope this helps!</p>

<p>Thank you on behalf of all UW calc hopefuls, oranda! Nice to hear from a student and to have that student tell others to do what we parents tell them- go to class, do the work and challenge yourself.</p>

<p>My counselor is telling me to not take Chem 109 and Calc 222 together. Is she right or is she just being too careful to make sure I don't fail?</p>

<p>Do you want to do the work? If so, go for it. If you have problems with Chem 109 they can move you to 103. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.</p>