Meal plan choice

<p>Any advice on which meal plan for a freshman guy with a hearty appetite? Should I go with the premium plan?</p>

<p>My son did his freshman year and used all of it plus a little extra I put on…</p>

<p>You did premium for him? The one with the most meals? that’s what I’m thinking</p>

<p>Yes. He did not have trouble using all of htem, nor did he “over eat”. He is 6" 2’ and a pig. You can always do the middle one and then add to if if needed.</p>

<p>yup, my son is 6’4" and will not skip meals. I think at least the middle one. thanks for your help!</p>

<p>You can always add cash to the purchased plan so no need to stress over the decision. If your son likes to eat a lot then the “all you care to eat” dining venues (e.g., Dietrich) are a good place to visit.</p>

<p>We did the middle plan for my son last year… You can ALWAYS add money, but at the end of the year they lose what they haven’t eaten. After a big lobster feast with friends at the Chop House their last night of spring semester, I think he ended up with about $3 left. Ha!</p>

<p>Just get the smallest one and add as necessary. You can always add, but you lose what you have left on your account at the end of the year.</p>

<p>just curious to know what sort of breakfast do students make in dorms? I mean I don’t think I will taking a fridge or a microwave with me? Is there a common kitchen for every floor or something? I will be doing Galileo (so, Lee Hall).</p>

<p>I don’t think there is a kitchen in Galileo. When we toured it, they didn’t mention one. but speaking from my older daughter at george mason, she keeps cereal and milk in her dorm room along with granola bars and such.</p>

<p>There is a kitchen in Lee Hall (per the VT website), just not sure which floor(s). However, this is not a place where you store / keep refrigerator items.</p>

<p>@bboop42‌ The kitchen is going to have a microwave right?</p>

<p>I’m thinking way more convenient to have a small microwave, fridge in room. can split cost with roommate, that’s what my daughter did. any thoughts from people in Galileo on convenience of kitchen?</p>

<p>Normally yes and a stove/oven. Atleast that is the set up in various dorms my son used during his freshman year. I agree with jhoelshcer though a small microwave and fridge is way more convenient to have in your room and not too expensive if each roommate brings one or the other. (under $50) My son said the kitchens were always kind of messy given people tended to not clean up after thermselves and sometimes located out of the way.</p>

<p>Most people have a mini fridge and microwave in their room and I highly recommend it. I usually ate cereal for breakfast or a sandwich and banana. Most dorms have a kitchen but only one per floor or one per several floors, so it isn’t very convenient. </p>

<p>Where to store milk? Milk expires in a week or so. Do I have to go for grocery shopping every week? </p>

<p>It might be a good time to look for a refrigerator on craigslist. I know that the rental fridges are crazy expensive at college, but about $40 can get you a working fridge that will last through your 4 years and protect your milk. That is to say, “protect your milk from spoiling.” I can’t vouch for your roommate.</p>

<p>Well yes, if you want milk all the time you’ll have to go shopping every week. Same with many foods. There’s an on campus convenience store although Kroger is cheaper. </p>

<p>In your room fridge. Yes, you go to a store as often as needed. There is a Kroger by the Math Emporium which is like 1 mile away. Either walk or take the bus. Very easy. Or, you can buy on campus, but is is more expensive (kind of like buying at a 7-11)</p>

<p>We bought a fridge with freezer from a yard sale - $40. He used it freshman year and now is in his bedroom at his townhouse (lazy doesn’t want to go downstairs to the kitchen).</p>