med scholars?

<p>did anyone else apply for med scholars? and does anyone know when we'll find out? because i thought it said sometime in march</p>

<p>My son applied for Med Scholars. I talked to the coordinator of the program a few weeks ago. She told me decisions would be made in April.</p>

<p>so did anyone actually get in? I, sadly, was rejected from it</p>

<p>My son was rejected also!</p>

<p>Don't worry at all about this rejection. There is still a good future as a physician with the 90+ % of the future medical school class that does things the usual way...</p>

<p>Read below. I've heard rumors they only accepted 20 kids this year (and don't know anyone who got in) and from their -site - it looks like it was discontinued for the next few years.</p>

<p>But I also know kids who were rejected form Med Scholars 4 years ago and are now at U of Chicago Med School, Northwestern Med School etc. The reality is - if you go to Madison - and score high on grades, med cats, do summer research (yes - take advantage of these on campus opptys) - you will get into Med School after Madison.</p>

<p>HOnestly - it sounds like the school just lost their way w/ the program for now - and it's a matter of timing. But in the long run - it really won't imapct anyone who is passionate about becoming a doctor. </p>

<p>Medical Scholars Program</p>

<p>Thank you for coming to this site to seek information about the Medical Scholars program. The application and selection process for future Medical Scholar classes has been discontinued for University of Wisconsin freshman entering in the fall of 2008 and following. </p>

<p>We are pleased to have supported so many future medical students throughout the history of the Medical Scholars program. Look for a new recruitment program beginning in 2009.</p>

<p>One more point - Madiosn only hurt themself by discontinuing this program as stdents will now look outside the state - and that is what the program was supposed to prevent.</p>

<p>I agree, galwain626. Specialized programs like MedScholars are what make UW-Madison small and personal. I will keep my eyes open for the reasons of cancellation and any new programs in the pipeline. </p>

<p>I did find what seem like an excellent student-for-student guide for those intend to pre-med in Madison. See <a href="http://aed.rso.wisc.edu/mcat/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://aed.rso.wisc.edu/mcat/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I am surprised the program was ended with little notice. I could find nothing about the reasons.</p>

<p>As posted above, not getting into, or discontinuing the Medical Scholars program, will not prevent anyone from becoming a physician in a timely manner. You can still join the Honors program, take good courses, study hard, do research and apply to medical school. I looked at the premed guide, as a physician I would recommend taking the hardest, not the easiest courses you can handle; as it "will look good on the record", challenge you more, prepare you to work harder and save you from the masses in intro courses such as chemistry. Also remember to take as many "fun" courses, ie courses that interest you but have nothing to do with getting into medical school as you can- you will not have time for these in medical school, you should take as many credits as you can handle (again, get used to a more difficult work load and max out on your experience) and avoid courses you will see in medical school- they will teach you everything you need when you get there. One big difference from my generation is the use of time outside of coursework, now volunteer work is the norm- do it. Always remember that premed is an intention, there are many majors used to get to your goal- choose the one that interests you, not one you think will give you an edge. You will do better and enjoy college more, and have no regrets years later (yes, music is an appropriate major, you just have to find time for all those required science courses).</p>

<p>I completely agree.. i can't imagine why Madison would want to end such a seemingly perfect opportunity for goal-oriented high school students.. i sadly was also rejected this year...</p>

<p>Don't take the rejection personally. Obviously, the the program itself is having problems, but it doesn't reflect on the applicants. Now - you will have more choices when It is time to apply to medical school. Stay true to your dreams and it will work out. However, I agree Madison will lose some of its top applicants in the meantime. I know someone who turned down Harvard to go to U-Madison Undergrad because they were accepted into of Med Scholars a few years ago.</p>

<p>I know a lot of kids who had interest in the med scholars program, looking into everything and consequently got hooked on the university in the process. What a shame it's no longer available...</p>

<p>Do you think Madison will give a good shot at the top medical schools? Are it's courses / reputation enough to get accepted at places like johns hopkins, harvard, etc. ?</p>

<p>I poked a few UW contacts and came out nothing so far. </p>

<p>wis75, are you UW Med School alum? I am just wondering if alums and parents out there are interested to send a petition to Bascom Hill.</p>

<p>Look at it this way - by not having med scholars - 40 more spots just opened up at UW-Madison medical school formerly reserved for med scholars.</p>

<p>Madison is an excellent school. If you get high grades (try for the 3.7 -3.8); high med cats; and do research (there are tons of opportunities at Madison) - you will get into a top medical school. The only difference is - by not being a med scholar - you may have to work full time a year after you graduate in a research lab - and use the year to bolster your med cats, apply, and interview. It is not uncommon to work a year in research before going to med school even if you attend an ivy undergrad. </p>

<p>If you are worried about a 3.7 GPA- take summer classes. They have a nice pace and that way, you aren't overloaded during the school year. Go to school year round - and work in a lab. The experience you get in a lab will give you an edge in science classes - because you will already have learned practical skills, plus cover your room and board.</p>

<p>No- it didn't exist, I wasn't premed when I started college and I went elsewhere for medical school after working on my Chemistry Honors thesis with a UW med school prof. I can understand why students want this program, but there may be a silver lining in that they may end up with a more diverse and better undergrad education. Don't worry about getting into a prestigious medical school, just getting into any beats the odds and trains you to be a physician. Also, if you wanted to be a med scholar, I presume you planned on staying in Wisconsin... I wonder if their yield justified the program?</p>

<p>Don't approach college/premed with a focus on grades. Take the courses, learn the material, do the work, and you will get the grades. If you don't, you may need to rethink your ability to process large amounts of material in a short time; which is required in medical school. Try to get the most out of your undergrad experience, you will be most successful and have no regrets years later. Find a major that interests you and immerse yourself in it, medical school follows undergaduate life and shouldn't dominate your thinking preceeding it. College isn't a placeholder until you reach your professional school, it is an experience in its own right. The ability to be passionate about a subject and immerse yourself in it is a quality that you will utilize in medical school and as a physician as well. Anyone who worries about being "overloaded " doesn't sound like they could survive the medical school pace to me; if you need to pace yourself to do well rethink your career aspirations.</p>

<p>Hey! I take offense at that. I was speaking to the transition from high school to college - nothing more - precisely because of what you said: it is important to take a breadth of courses, extracurriculars and make the most of your undergrad experience. But the reality is grades do count - and I was making a suggestion - which you misinterpreted as a freshman when the whole college xperience is new - to stretch yourslef as an undergrad - but don't be obsessive about grades - because there are ways to raise them - such as taking courses year round - and supplemeting them with valuable research opptys. In fact - you should take honors classes and classes with
j substance. My advice is not to shy away fro them - but also to realize learning also takes place out of the classroom - so participate and use these 4 years to grow. The reality is grades do count and it is naive to think otherwise. But - one reason people like med scholars is because you can get away with a significantly lower GPA - around a 3.4 or 3.3 - and still get accepted into Madion's medical school - so I was addressing the very real situation - that now - without medical schoilars as a security blanket - go for the 3.8. Things have gotten a lot more competitive since you were in school. The class of 2011 is the largest ever- baby boomers baby boom - plus are also competing w/ international students as incoming frshmen.</p>

<p>galwin and wis75, all great and informative posts. Take it easy guy and gal. :)</p>

<p>I know individual departments (e.g. biochem) and student orgs (e.g. AED) would continue to advise and assist those who intend to pre-med. </p>

<p>The perennial problem in Madison is never the lack of resources and opportunities. That's why I see that a more formal and cross-college program will not only help recruiting top students to UW but, more importantly, tie in separate efforts and provide a more consistent and personalized "pre-med" experience. I am hoping that through better advising and guidance, UW grads will have all the extra edges (e.g. superb research experience etc). Do y'all think so? </p>

<p>On a side note, I didn't know MedScholar is a guarantee admission to UW Med School. While I don't see that as an issue, but anyone who fails to maintain a certain level of excellence (e.g. ~ 3.3 GPA) should be asked to leave. Just my 2c.</p>

<p>I agree. Thx. I promise this will be my last post. The reason med scholars allowed a lower GPA - was because they wanted students to take full advantage of their undergrad experience - perhaps even taking 5 years and going abroad - instead of having a narrow focus and being grade obsessed. Based on those I know who have been med scholars - they usually achieved well, well above the 3.3 - and were often top students in their class - but they LOVED not having the pressure of HAVING to get high grades - because sometimes a lower grade is just because of a bad test, bad teacher, or illness - or other temporary situation that no one can anticipate. They had the best of all worlds - learning to learn and not just to pass a test. It freed them to tak ethe hardest classes - and they still excelled. To me - these is one of the unsung values of med scholars - making it a greater shame it is being eliminated. </p>

<p>Many med schools realize the value of such a system and more and more are eliminating grades - and moving towards high pass, pass,and fail.</p>

<p>By the way - I know studnts who did their undergrad at Madison and are now in Madison's med school - and love it. If you haven't walked thru it - visit. It is magnificent - plus many of the teaching docs have international reknown. Finally - they also have ALL their lectures available to be downloaded to your IPod. It is a state-of-the-art facility and currculum.</p>