"Media and Commmunication Studies" vs. Journalism

<p>I know you've probably received this question many times before, but is there a real difference? The idea of receiving film education through a communication studies degree appeals to me, however the career I want is as a print journalist. Many schools that I've researched with a Media/communications degree only have a few classes focusing on print journalism (most of it is more a societal analysis of media). Do employers know the difference? Is it better to get a more holistic education in media or to focus on the are which you want to pursue?</p>

<p>Hello! I’m new to the boards; and I am a broadcast journalism at the moment. Although I do not want to be a journalist, the University that I attend right now (university of illinois at urbana-champaign) has a J. school with a media studies major. I don’t know much about media studies VS journalism VS communications; but communications allows you to think more critically, and is less about the journalism side… I’d say go for a degree in print journalism. As for me, I am majoring in broadcast journalism, and I’ve been hearing that I’m not at the right school for BJ, is that right? i’ve been hearing that U of I at champaign does not prepare their students for the real world, and the people who are in the program said that their camera equipment is old and out-of-date. Not only that, but the technology even at the campus station is out of date. Someone told me that UIUC was not the school for broadcast journalism a few years ago, but I didn’t believe him… but now I do because people who are ceniors in the program are telling me this. (I don’t even have an internship, because they refuse to get back to me) and I am strictly looking to go into radio. Are there any good broadcasting schools? (that are actually reputible?) I’m out-of-state, and had a family friend go here in the 90’s, and they did the same program as me… I don’t want to be a journalist- so I’m not looking for broadcast journalism schools- I’m just looking for good broadcasting schools. or should I go with broadcast communications? I was thinking of getting a degree in broadcasting at my community college- but I don’t know. I mean for broadcasting, does it really matter where you get your education? (because I’m not going to grad school or anything) any help/advice is appreciated!
Thanks everyone!
CountryMusicFan</p>

<p>“I know you’ve probably received this question many times before, but is there a real difference? The idea of receiving film education through a communication studies degree appeals to me, however the career I want is as a print journalist. Many schools that I’ve researched with a Media/communications degree only have a few classes focusing on print journalism (most of it is more a societal analysis of media). Do employers know the difference? Is it better to get a more holistic education in media or to focus on the are which you want to pursue?”</p>

<p>I will first admit to you that I’m not 100% sure because I have not done much research on this. But I am a j-student and have taken a few theory classes in the past two years. I think that you need to consider what YOU WANT to do. Would you rather spend most of your time learning about what scholars have written about the field, or would you rather spend only some of your time doing that and doing a lot of practical work? Either way, you’d probably be OK as long as you make sure you get internships in the field and work for the student newspaper; strive to get a management position of some sort. I personally chose the straight-up j route because I get bored reading scholars’ commentary on media’s dilemmas. If I were you, I would closely examine the information the school offers you about each major and decide which interests you more. You can probably take courses in both/change your mind later. Good luck!</p>

<p>If you want to be a reporter or an editor, you should take a few ethics/theory classes as a a part of your major, but most of your program should be built around practical classes–news writing, feature writing, copy editing, online journalism, investigative journalism, etc. Depending on the program, you’ll be able to specialize a bit more and choose a focus. But you’ll be grateful for the practical aspects of a solid journalism major once you get into the field.</p>

<p>I definitely agree with URichmond2010. Journalism is fun to study in it’s theoretical and purely academic forms, but EXPERIENCE gets you internships and jobs. Sometimes “communications” schools offer less classes that give you practical experience that “journalism” schools do. Ultimately, it depends on the individual school and your goals. Also, another distinction to look for is how many classes you are required to take outside your major. I know my school (U of Montana) requires a fairly large number of credits be taken outside the journalism department, the idea being that we will be better reporters by having a strong liberal arts background or a second major. Just take a little more time to think about your long-term and short-term goals and I think you can sort this all out in a jiffy!</p>