Meh GPA, but IB Diploma Candidate and Solid Scores

Hoo boy. I am currently a junior at a New York City private school and an IB Diploma Candidate, and needless to say I am feel the stress of the college process. My GPA at the end of sophomore was rather mediocre at 3.2/4.0, but my test scores are solid (ACT full length practice: 29 SAT:1900).

Has anyone been in a similar situation? How did it affect your admissions decision? Will IB and my scores soften the blow of my bad GPA?

Don’t mean to burst your bubble, but I applied EA with a 4.2 weighted IB Diploma Candidate with a 28 ACT and tons of extracurriculars. Needless to say I was deferred to the RD pool. But everyone is different so im not sure

Unfortunately both your GPA and also your test scores are below average for Miami. I’m an international IB student, and I know how tough and well regarded the IB program is, but you need to raise both of these up. You won’t be able to change your overall GPA that much, so study hard for the SAT/ACT, and also consider SAT subject tests and aim for above 700s on those.

Oy. I definitely need to bring my GPA up, and aim higher when I take my ACT in April. I have relatively strong extracurriculars (200+ hours of hospital volunteer work, 75 hours physician shadowing, varsity volleyball, 5 years on the student admissions board) but I know that won’t make up for a poor GPA or struggly ACT score.

@Nroether Sorry to hear about your deferment. I wish you the best with your regular decision, though! :slight_smile:

@trobersts I wish you the same! :slight_smile:

"Has anyone been in a similar situation? ? Nah, you’re the first ever! Seriously, of course, Work hard, learn well, Focus on the things you think are most important. Get rid of distractions. You can do this!

@lostaccount I’ve been spending more time studying and I’m trying to bring up by grades in all my classes. Thanks for the advice!