Chance me please?

<p>Hey guys! I've applied for EA admissions and as the date draws closer, I'm just concerned if I have a chance of getting in. </p>

<p>My stats are:
SAT I- 1820 -low, I know
540 CR, 630 Math, 650 Writing with 11 on essay
SAT II: Lit - 650, World History 510
GPA: I do IB and I have around a 5.1 on a scale of 7
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): top 10%
IB (place score in parenthesis): HL English A1 (predicted 7), HL Economics (predicted 6), HL History (predicted 6), SL French (predicted 6), SL Biology (predicted 5), SL Math Studies (predicted 6)
Senior Year Course Load: I'm doing the IB diploma... so yeah.</p>

<p>ECs: lots of sports, community service and organizing events. 250 hours in total.
International student. Asian.</p>

<p>Essays: Pretty okay.
I'm applying to CAS.</p>

<p>I haven't applied for any scholarships or anything.</p>

<p>...Anything else? Idk.
Thanks guys!</p>

<p>Your SATs are really low, and so unfortunately is your GPA. The 5.1/7 is less than a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Your ECs and course load might be able to save you, but, depending on the strength of the rest of the applicant pool I’d say you don’t have a very good chance at getting in.</p>

<p>Why on earth do schools have so many GPA scales?</p>

<p>Like, who founds a school and says to themselves, I had a 4.0 scale in high school and in college, and nearly every other high school or college student in the country has a 4.0 scale, so, let’s go and make our scale a 7.0 scale! </p>

<p>Suzzyx, unfortunately UM doesn’t look at your writing score, and you CR and M scores are less than ideal. I think your GPA might be better than its conversion to a 4.0 scale would indicate because of your top 10% ranking. If you try to directly convert it to a 4.0 scale, it’s a 2.2 which is really bad, but most schools would probably have the bottom 10% of their class with that GPA, so your GPA will, probably, largely be thrown out the window because the admissions office will have no clue what it means. And 10% is just fine :)</p>

<p>So, as Marinebio mentioed, your SAT scores are the concern. According to Miami’s Common Data Set, here is where you stand:</p>

<p>top 10%: 68% of UM students
CR: 540 - bottom 25th percent: 590
Math: 630 - bottom 25th percent: 620</p>

<p>Again, I don’t think the GPA is worth looking at here. Unfortunately, your CR score is 50 points below the 25th percentile and your math score is only 10 points above it. When you have something below the 25th percentile for a school, in order to have a good chance at admission you really want to have something else in which you’re above the 75th percentile. Your class rank helps you out a little bit there, but I’m afraid not very much.</p>

<p>How are your letters of recommendation? Did you have strong relationships with your recommenders? I think that if I were in the office of admission, your application would be on the lower end of the borderline applications, but a really good essay and a really good recommendation combined could change that.</p>

<p>Best of luck to you!</p>

<p>So did you get in?</p>

<p>I did get in :)</p>

<p>Thank you for all your responses!</p>