Merced, Riverside & Santa Cruz to close?

<p>BAHAHAHAHA!!! UCSD would! In other words they are proposing to “Throw in the weakling UC’s as BAIT!!” I could see the prof thinking they are the flagship. Alot of them are pretty cocky. </p>

<p>I don’t know if our chancellor (Brown) is being a drama queen by claiming that SD gets affected the most from the crisis…</p>

<p>The ‘crisis’ is that some people lose their jobs, some take small paycuts (we’re talking <10%), some services and unpopular classes are ditched, and freshmen have a harder time getting in. </p>

<p>We don’t need to close down three major Universities, two of which are ranked higher than most states’ flagships, to solve this problem. Start with the CSUs if you really want to be cruel, but the UCs are all (except arguably one) very established and are very into research.</p>

<p>agreed with Cali Trumpet</p>

<p>but like i stated before : i am against closing down of ANY University, be it a UC or a CSU</p>

<p>I doubt any of you guys have been to Merced…it is the armpit of California. Literally nothing to do in the “city” (more like a town full of farmers) and the school is tiny, so it wouldn’t cost much to close it. Just convert UCM to UCD + Cal’s satellite campus or bathroom.</p>

<p>"BAHAHAHAHA!!! UCSD would! In other words they are proposing to “Throw in the weakling UC’s as BAIT!!” I could see the prof thinking they are the flagship. Alot of them are pretty cocky.</p>

<p>I don’t know if our chancellor (Brown) is being a drama queen by claiming that SD gets affected the most from the crisis…"</p>

<p>seriously. You UCR just stop construction on our new material science building. I actually surprised that we are still going with the school of med. But at the same time we are 3/4 of the way there. All we need is a teaching hospital</p>

<p>“We note that in fall 2008 only 5.9% of our undergraduates were non‐resident, compared to 9.7% at Berkeley and 9.5% at UCLA.” </p>

<p>"We also note that in fall 2008 at the well‐regarded University of Michigan, 35% of undergraduates were non‐resident. "</p>

<p>from the second article : Chris’s Blog Archives: UC San Diego Faculty Statement on Budget Crisis</p>

<p>The difference between UCSD and the 3 other Universities mentioned is that UCSD does not have a D1 sports team, while the others do. Having a D1 team is a trade mark for a lot of the flagships</p>

<p>lol @ ucsd profs. soooo stuck up XD
I’ve seen on princeton review rankings before too that UCSD ranks pretty high for horrible professors XD
didnt understand why until now.</p>

<p>You know, after reading this article, I feel much more supportive of UC Merced. Seriously f*** these pretentious professors who backstab to try to avoid small paycuts. I’m now feeling worse about the $60 in application fees for UCSD and better about my decision to go to Berkeley instead. </p>

<p>I’m feeling pretty bad for the UCM professors and students who constantly have to deal with this type of BS. I feel like donating them $20 or something.</p>

<p>Wow…</p>

<p>You have to laugh when it’s a professor of SOCIOLOGY claiming to know anything about money.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I feel bad for UCSD, especially the students and faculty in the signers’ departments. The rest of the system is laughing at them and rallying around UCM, UCR, and UCSC.</p>

<p>Stop lingering over the flagship comment. Proclaiming one’s own educational institution as a flagship is shamefully pretentious, but the point of the letter is still valid-- cuts across the board simply won’t work. If anything, these cuts will make private school recruitment for the best UC faculty easier.</p>

<p>lol @ UCSD… sigh… it’s not even that reputable of a school to begin with.</p>

<p>The only thing UCSD ever becomes famous for is either April Fool mistakes and being a$$e$ with messes like these-- other than that nothing else.</p>

<p>uh, UCSD is one of the best public schools in the country.</p>

<p>but even harvard shouldn’t get to say whether other schools should close.</p>

<p>UCSD has a rep as one of the best science and biotech schools in the world. In those areas it may be better than UCLA and UCB or at least equal.</p>

<p>What is interesting is that high school students matriculating into UCSB, UCSC, UCR, UCD, UCM are the ones who are protesting loudly against the thoughtful, provocative ideas provided by senior faculty at UCSD. In short, these students who in the case of many posters here got REJECTED by UCSD are the ones “dumping” on UCSD. </p>

<p>But where are the faculty at UCM, UCR, UCSC? Have you heard from them? Are they outraged? Where are their counter-publications/ideas/advice to UC President? At least, one could argue these faculties are equipped to make their case. They are not shy, retiring people. The way I read the UCSD letter, is one major campus pushing back at the notion of “equal sacrifice”. Mediocrity is the result when leaders refuse to differentiate between the excellent, the good, the necessary and all others. So, the UCSD letter is a contribution to this ongoing debate at the top of UC leadership – debate that is healthy and good.</p>

<p>And to all the UCSD bashers, nothing you say can take anything away from what UCSD has achieved.</p>

<p>But where are the faculty at UCM, UCR, UCSC? Have you heard from them? Are they outraged?</p>

<p>[Proposal</a> to shutter some UCs hits nerve](<a href=“http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jul/19/1n19uccuts221810-ucsd-profs-say-some-campuses-can-/?education&zIndex=134486]Proposal”>http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jul/19/1n19uccuts221810-ucsd-profs-say-some-campuses-can-/?education&zIndex=134486)</p>

<p>I think the ultimate point is that the UCSD sociology professor is basically an idiot and doesn’t really have the qualifications to suggest such far reaching proposals, made worse by the fact that he has to prop up his school with questionable comments.</p>

<p>I think the ultimate point is that someone high up at the UC Regents needs to make some tough decisions rather than the usual cuts and furloughs. The UCs should have been better prepared for this and far more clever in their approach to closing the budget gap.</p>

<p>Calling Card, I was accepted to both SC and SD, and I chose SC for good reason. Others have as well. Which goes to show UCSD students don’t have any more of a divine right to funding for their educations as students at SC,M, or R.</p>