Miami University Early Decision and Early Action 2024

@momzilla2D @sb12345 @Etienne_72772 @PhotogDad

Congratulations!

Illinois (OOS)

4.0 UW / 4.7 W
35 ACT
800 Math II, 780 Bio E

36,000/year

@Succ55 Wonderful award! Congratulations!

@succ55

Congrats for your award .

Very similar to my son’s
35 ACT , 1560 SAT ( just one sitting )
SAT MATH II - 800 , SAT CHEMISTRY - 800 , Biology - 780
UW GPA - 4.0 , W GPA - 4.81
8 AP’s - all 5 National Scholar
National Merit commended scholar

Wonder why my S20, got only 24k.

Congrats for your award, and thanks for sharing.

midwest OOS here - will share just for others to see.

34 ACT/ 3.95/4.0 25/500 rank. (I think this hurts?)
AP Distinction
No school leadership; National EC award; varsity sports
didn’t take SAT2s; didn’t apply for any honors
$23K

MU is not even an option now. But good luck to all!

My son, OOS, got his scholarship letter today in the mail. They awarded him $19k/year but that was based on his first SAT score of 1440. He retook it on 12/7 and got 1470 (1480 superscore) so that, I believe, should bring him up to $26k/yr according to their chart. MU told me that they will see his SAT score when it arrives from College Board and will make the adjustment – nothing else that we need to or should do. I hope this is correct!

My son’s letter came today. Stats: 1480 SAT, 4.6 wgpa, ranked 1 of 300, 10 APs, varsity athlete, president of MUN, lots of other ECs. We live in NJ.

Accepted into mechanical engineering major and UASP engineering cohort. Received scholarship of 23K, which I assume includes the UASP scholarship. We are grateful for the scholarship offer and this will keep Miami in the mix.

@jdcollegedad Congratulations! Glad this keeps Miami on the table.

@jdcollegedad

Wondering if you applied to Rutgers or NJIT . I think your son would have got free tuition as that is instate for you . My close friends son got it at 1500 SAT , including 1st year free lodging / boarding for 1st year in 2018 .

I think the 23k is deceptive really if you consdider the OOS tuition in this case the out of state tuition is 36k , so you are paying 13k for tuition and 15k about for lodging boarding .

Even if you don’t get a penny from rutgers , or NJIT , because of instate tuition the fees would be lesser .

I am in the same situation from illinois . Even if illinois urbana/ champagin doesn’t give me a penney it may be the same as going to urbana . And urbana is a much better engineering school than Miami.

Got a lot more than expected-
(OOS) $17,000/year
1380 SAT, 101W GPA
chemical engineering

@buckeyeinbama Thanks. I think it would be a good fit for him, but waiting until all offers are on the table before deciding.

@illinoisdad1729 This puts Miami comfortably within our budget. This is our 4th child going to college. For us, the goal is to find the right balance between cost, fit, quality, job preparedness, research opportunities, personal growth and other factors.

Our first went to Rutgers (30 minutes from home) for about $12k per year after scholarships. Although she graduated in four years with a respectable gpa, Rutgers is really impersonal and did a poor job in preparing her for the job search. Take a drive through Newark where NJIT is located and let me know if that is the environment you want your kid to spend 4 years in. Not me.

After the Rutgers experience, we have done a much better job understanding what our children wanted from college. #2 will be graduating summa in May from a top 50 liberal arts college where he has formed close relationships with faculty members who are actively helping him with his grad school search. #3 attends UVM for nursing and couldn’t be happier with the experience and vibe of Burlington. #4 is interested in a large (but not too large) college with good engineering or statistics programs with decent sports, good outdoor activities and a fun social scene (think UNC CH, CU Boulder, Clemson, VA Tech, UConn, Pitt, Purdue).

I would be completely comfortable if my son decided to attend MU.

@buckeyeinbama Good to know that you have heard of a handful of people with early graduation plans. When I toured, one of our guides said she was graduating early, which made me feel like it is possibly a more realistic or less stressful process at Miami compared to other schools. The Three-Year Political Science program is definitely a huge draw for me, so it’s cool to hear about people actually pursuing these programs.

Son received his award today. He was accepted into the honors program.

OOS
SAT 1560
Non ranking school
4.0 UW GPA
Lots of ecs, with leadership and state level/national level awards

$32,000/year

It definitely puts Miami in the mix as a strong contender. Awaiting news on the presidential competition. Best wishes to all!

@buckeyeinbama - Interesting take and it certainly makes economic sense saving tuition dollars where you can. Thanks for sharing your anecdotal evidence.

It would be really interesting to be a fly on the wall at these admissions discussions.

@jdcollegedad A couple years ago when our daughter was accepted to Miami, she got her initial merit offer and then a couple months later, she received an additional Scholars offer. So keep that in mind yet! :wink:

1 Like

Letter reaching Colorado today.

@ohiomomof3 More scholarships are always welcome. We will be waiting until late April to make a deposit to ensure all information is on the table.

OOS (IL)
ACT 34
UW GPA 3.82 / W 4.2
7 APs

I thought it might be more - the merit chart on the website is somewhat misleading as you expect that if you fall within a range you’d expect a corresponding amount of merit. Good luck all!

@inktopaper Nice offer! Congratulations to your son.

OOS

GPA 4 uw
School does not Rank
ACT 36
SAT Math2 -800/ Bio -800/Chem -800
National Level Awards in music
NMSF highly likely to become Finalist
lots of Research /ECS/Volunteering

Excellent Rec letters
Accepted to UHP and UASP -premedical scholars

$29000