OOS
36 ACT/1530 SAT
GPA: 3.97 UW/4.71 W

Farmer School of Business/UHP/UASP

$29,000/year and invitation to Presidential Open House

Waiting to hear about Presidential Fellows Program

Has received full-tuition, plus additional, merit at two home-state schools

Good luck to all

Great news @ohiomomof3 Congratulations to your son!

@Etienne_72772

S19 had not accepted Miami when they revised his offer. In fact, when he wasn’t selected for the PFP (Pres Fellow Program), Miami was out of the running.

After the PFP competition, son was accepted to Kenyon, then Miami pulled a Godfather and made him an offer he couldn’t refuse. It’s our understanding that this revised offer was made to a handful of students who just missed the cut for receiving the PFP.

$39k was RedHawk scholarship, and $2k was UASP scholarship.

Based on the students who were accepted into the first cohort of the PFP, we now know Intended major DOES matter for who gets it.

Miami invited 75 students to compete for the PFP and 15 received it. The only non-STEM student who received the PFP that we’re aware of is an Architecture major. So, not STEM, but close.

@73743666 Congratulations! You can’t go wrong with FSB, and that’s a nice scholarship. Well done!

@hereuses Your love of languages sounds fascinating. Keep me posted if you’re invited to compete for the PFP. The waiting game is a nail biter lol. Congrats on your merit scholarship offer! $26k will certainly be helpful.

@buckeyeinbama Thank you for your very insightful posts! With regard to PFP, from your experience last year, it seems unlikely that non-STEM students would get PFP? It’s helpful in determining how much more Miami may possibly offer in merit for weighing out the options.

Finally see a letter in my USPS Informed Delivery today. Postmarked 12/23.

A little disappointed in my son’s offer. Not trying to sound unappreciative, but

In-State
Accepted Honors/A&S
35 ACT (36, 36, 35, 34)
3.98 UW/4.35 W
9 AP classes
National Merit Semifinalist
Buckeye Boys State
Highly competitive private school does not class rank

Offered $11,000 year/$44,000 total. My niece with a 33 ACT and a similar GPA at an in-state public high school was actually offered more money. With his stats we were hoping for closer to the $16,000 year/$64,000 total. Miami was one of his top choices, but this may push him in another direction. Honest question - were our expectations unreasonable?

Hi @DadInTheCLE – welcome to this amazing forum.

we are out of state and haven’t heard yet from the school; and from reading this thread and others from the past, we are not expecting as much as we’d like.

here’s a thread from last year; starting around late December with the posts you can see many kids’ aid offers. http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/miami-university-ohio/2112827-miami-university-class-of-2023-admissions-decisions-p7.html (of course tuition was a little less last year).

from what I can tell, not many kids are getting full tuition; looks like you got 2/3 or so. That’s really quite good! But - your kid’s stats are really quite good; and it makes me wonder: who is getting full tuition? Perhaps they will add something smaller to it?

Really, Well Done to your kid.

Class of 2024 data points are still limited, but after looking at the 2023 thread, it feels like the in-state scholarship award amounts are trending a bit lower this year.

@2suns02 I had the same thought. Agree limited data points, but they seem a little lower this year and you would hope they would go up if anything since tuition, room and board go up every year. (I know it’s locked in for 4 years, which is great — I just mean the class of 2024’s rate will be higher than last year’s.) Still, I have to say, I think Miami is relatively generous compared to schools I understand it typically overlaps with in terms of applicant pool.

Got student’s letter today.

OOS

UHP and Scholars accepted

4.3 32 superscore. Lots of activities, activities, leadership.

@73743666 I know there was a lot of chatter in a group chat the PFP hopefuls started, and my son was part of that group. The non-STEM kids were upset there didn’t seem to be a better representation of them in the selection. We didn’t plan on receiving more than our original offer, and were quite surprised at the about-face after the competition. But I’m not sure Miami is going to do that again this year
 and here’s why

@DadInTheCLE You don’t mention your son’s intended major, but Miami is hungry for STEM kids. When we compared offers with S19’s friends at the PFP competition, we noticed the STEM kids received markedly higher merit awards.

Additionally, there was an article in The Miamian (campus newspaper) recently where Miami said they’re concerned about students graduating early (kids coming in with a lot of qualifying AP scores), and that’s affecting their bottom-line, and would certainly factor into future financial planning. I wonder if the lower merit awards we’re seeing for c/o 2024 is a reflection of that. Simply speculation, but this would make sense. Early days and all as @pandorasbox1 and @2suns02 aptly stated.

It would be helpful to many if people can share their state when posting their merit offers. It will really help those of us far from Ohio to get an idea on when we might receive the merit letters.

New York came today. it was pretty much what we expected based on Miami’s online Merit Scholarship chart.

D20 received scholarship letter today, in Massachusetts.
$26,000/year

OOS New York
Received $27,000/yr

OOS Illinois
35 ACT not superscore
1550 SAT superscore
3.9uw/4.5w GPA
$27,000/yr

OOS Massachusetts
1340 SAT
4.2 W Gpa
Direct admit Farmer
$12,000

Pretty much what we expected based on the chart.

@buckeyeinbama My son would be coming as an undecided Arts & Sciences major. His intent (at least as much as a 17 year old can intend) is to go to law school post-grad.

Would be interesting to see if that many kids are really graduating early because of HS AP credits. Sounds more like an unsubstantiated concern coming from some committee. Unfortunately little danger of my son graduating early, even with all of his AP credits. He will probably minor in something additional or potentially have a second major.

@DadInTheCLE While anecdotal, my S19 is in an Honors dorm, and his roommate and another friend have enough AP credit to graduate in 2 years. Both are actively planning to do that: the one is going into a field where he says grad school doesn’t matter, and the roommate is definitely headed to grad school, so wants to save money by not hanging out too long in undergrad.

My S19 is actively preparing to graduate in 3 years. AP credits will allow all of these students to do this.

And these are just the freshmen we’re aware of, so you’d have to think there are more.

I’ve made friends with a couple of upperclassmen’s parents, and both of their children are graduating a semester early.

Hunt up The Miamian online and try to find the article about Miami administration quoted as saying the financial concern is directly related to students graduating early. The only way that happens is AP credits. The piece ran in the last couple of months. We can beg to differ, but I’m calling the issue substantiated. Now, whether that issue is tied to lower merit offers for c/o 2024
 no telling.

ACT 35, SAT 1560
SAT subject Math 800 , CHEMISTRY 800 , BIOLOGY 780 .
National AP scholar ( 8 AP all 5’s )
Many Science olympiad prizes
OOS - Illinois

24k a year is scholarship as we have to pay almost the same as much as going to UI Urbana , which he is accepted in his choice chemical engineering .

Unless the aid improves, he will go to UI Urbana Champaign