Miami University - Ohio Class of 2025 EA & RD

I got into both Honors College and Prodesse Scholar. I’m not sure how many others did.

2 Likes

Perhaps one of the reasons is that this is the first year of the residential Honors College. So students in the Honors College must live in the Honors dorms. Similarly, Prodesse Scholars would live with their cohort in an LLC. Students admitted to both Prodesse and Honors College would be required to live in the Honors College and would therefore miss out on the LLC piece of the Prodesse experience. I’m wondering if they only have a small number of students that are accepted to both because of that particular wrinkle this year.

Here’s a ton of info on all of the Honors Programs that was just posted. I think a lot of people had similar questions…https://www.facebook.com/groups/miamiuniversityclassof2025families/?multi_permalinks=267681748106973&notif_id=1613175932084839&notif_t=group_highlights&ref=notif

I agree since they were one application with a check box - but this was the response to the email by my daughter from Honors.

Congratulations on your admission to the Honors College! I would reach out to the Office of Admission for an answer to that question but I believe that students are either admitted to one or the other. I don’t believe you can be in both.

Sorry. I should have used the Miami weighted GPA, not his school’s. I edited to reflect.

Those Honors dorms are very nice and new. LEED-certified too.

Has anyone found good videos of the inside of the dorms?

There is a pinterest board that has photos: https://www.pinterest.com/MiamiOHParents/beechwoods-hall-photos/

3 Likes

My daughters just received emails with their financial aid (merit) packages.

Me too

Thanks! Very nice!

I don’t know why schools take credit for the $5500 loans they legally have to offer. That’s not aid. They take it out of the cost.

A lot said Miami later raised the scholarships. I hope it’s true this year too although I don’t see my daughter choosing the school. I just know - everything everyone says about it is very very positive - they’ve got a fantastic reputation.

2 Likes

$2000/y has been added into the final package, which makes $33000/year out-of-pocket. So definitely no go as we will pay less if choosing Richmond.

I wonder if it’s the Podesse.

I wish I got $2k more. $33K a year is “reasonable” by college standards but U Richmond is a fantastic school - different but highly rated. Congrats.

2 Likes

Did that financial aid offer include fafsa / federal grants?

@ohiogirl3207 - My student’s financial aid had everything - scholarships, federal loans, etc.

My daughter also. The out of pocket cost is about $10K over our EFC. No work study or other aid offered beyond Redhawk - just Federal loans. I doubt they would bump my daughter up from the $21K scholarship enough to make this a realistic financial choice. We were planning to tour in a couple weeks. Thinking of cancelling…

Miami absolutely raised scholarship offers this year. For example, currently a student regardless of test score (optional in 21) with a GPA of 3.95 and above was eligible for a merti award of $13K to full tuition. Last year that would have been 3.95 with an ACT of 30 $8k-$12k for an instate student…OOS awards were different of course to reflect the higher cost of tuition. In any event, the awards are higher and they are giving out more money. Miami has nothing to do with what FAFSA financial aid awards come up with. They don’t influence or have any say over what is awarded, their only role is to use your FAFSA to lay it all out for your student. People getting upset over lack of Federal "free money " and grants is not Miami’s responsibility or any other school for that matter. Private schools often offer grants which come from various private sources, but Public Universities do not typically do so.

1 Like

I’m not sure if you think I am upset. I’m not. My daughter has several other options for schools that will cost less than Miami, including a much higher ranked school in her major. However, she liked Miami’s size, vibe and the option to study at MUDEC. Some schools offered her more scholarships, some offered more aid (such as work study). We are not expecting a full ride or a bunch of handouts. I do think the ranges they offer (such as 21K to 31K) may lead people to apply (like my daughter), thinking or hoping that if their stats are much higher than the minimum for that “level” that they may be offered more than the minimum. It appears they offered either 21K OR 31K - no posts that I recall show any amounts in between, though maybe they exist and those people don’t post here? Ultimately, if a school really wants a student, they will make it financially feasible for that family. Maybe we will go ahead with out tour and meet with financial aid? I’ll leave it up to my daughter to decide.

1 Like

I agree! It’s weird how most received 21k and a few got the highest in that bracket. I don’t understand the logic of it. Maybe they think raising it later will attract more students? Idk I just wish these schools would be more transparent especially during this difficult year