Miami University - Ohio Class of 2025 EA & RD

https://miamioh.edu/academics/honors-programs/prodesse/index.html

My student is in honors, a PF, and in the UASP which is the predecessor to the Prodesse Scholar. She is involved with honors leadership so I reached out to her. This link has info and it says the Prodesse is renewable all four years. I really think being a Prodesse makes you part of the honors college all four years. What you rank is your top 3 areas of interest for the Prodesse. If it is like UASP, you can do an area outside your major. You could be an accounting major, but do the creative arts cohort. Confirm this with someone in the honors college to find out for sure. This program is in transition so I imagine that is why there is confusion. They are usually very clear on things, but with COViD and the transition it is understandable.

Actually I wrote to Honors about Prodesse - and they said they think itā€™s one or the other but you need to ask admissions. I assumed it was an Honors program since the application was in the same placeā€¦but itā€™s not.

First batch of Honors Program acceptances came out yesterday evening.

1 Like

OOS (IL) son accepted into honors. Filed in early December.
3.96 UW; 4.42 W (per Miami)
Ranked 13 out of 550+
34 ACT
1550 SAT (1560 super)
2 varsity sports
worked (until COVID) and some extras

Fingerā€™s crossed for those still waiting.

1 Like

That just doesnā€™t make sense. On the website, it is listed as one of the honors programs. It is the revamped UASP which was part of honors. I guess they know though.

Will this Honor program provide extra money?

Is this ā€œ4.96Wā€ a re-calculated GPA by Miami U? If so, how many APā€™s could make this high?

Does anyone know if they are still accepting applications for the Honors Program particularly Prodesse Scholars? On my applicant portal I see the Honors Program Application but I donā€™t know if they will accept it.

Acceptance to the Honors College does not come with an additional scholarship. Most of the students accepted into the Honors College have already received the Red Hawk Scholarship, which is about 76% of tuition for in state students.

Prodesse is $1 k to 2k annually

https://miamioh.edu/academics/honors-programs/prodesse/index.html

No, the Honors application window is closed.

My son was also accepted to honors! He is a little worried about the all honors dorm being boring. He is very social, athletic and academic. Anyoneā€™s kids have the same concerns?

@3xPink , thanks so much for post, very helpful to have insight from a current student. I spoke with Admissions and received the following feedback:

• Acceptance to both the Honors and Prodesse programs is decided by the Honors College (not Admissions)
  • Prodesse is a one year program (although the Prodesse scholarship money is renewable for up to four years)
  • She wasnā€™t sure as to whether acceptance to Prodesse and the Honors Program is mutually exclusive in year one and referred me to the Honors College for that question. She also was not sure if Prodesse participants are able to participate in Honors College benefits (primarily research, faculty mentorship and experiential learning) after the first year.

My guess is that with everything else going on and the new programs, Admissions and the Honors College either havenā€™t figured all of this out or have not fully coordinated on their messaging, which I completely understand.

Given that both Prodesse and the Honors College Residential College offer living communities in year one, it makes sense that this could be an either / or proposition.

What Iā€™m not clear on, and Iā€™ll follow up with the Honors College on this, is the idea that Prodesse Scholars are not part of the Honors Program or any other program after year one. (Unless the Prodesse Recipients were actually rejected for the Honors Program and not explicitly told so, which I donā€™t believe is the case).

1 Like

maybe our sons can connect!

1 Like

They are accepting applications still. Admissions confirmed this. There is no deadline, but the sooner the better. March15 is the last round of decisions.

Honors students do get a nice chunk (75% off) tuition for summer/winter term study abroad. They call it a waiver, but you can look at it like a study abroad scholarship.

I would think that thereā€™d be a good mix, including scholar-athletes, in those dorms.

There is a huge mix of students in honors dorms. There is definitely not just one kind of smart kid. The good thing is at their core they are all good students who are serious about their education.

3 Likes

I got into both Honors and Prodesse so itā€™s not impossible to be accepted into both. Honors just take some time to come out. Keep checking your email for news!

2 Likes

I just got admitted to honors. My stats are above average, but not perfect so donā€™t doubt yourself. I was also admitted to Prodesse. I made the priority deadline.
GPA- 3.98 Miami GPA
ACT- 25 (I applied test-optional though)
AP- 5 (all passing)
College classes- 2 (passing)
A mix of Aā€™s and Bā€™s
Archery (JV/V) 4 yrs., science olympiad 3 yrs, Girl Up 3 yrs., enrolled in federally recognized American Indian tribe.
Out of state
Amazing essay
Summer job for 4 yrs
Great recommendations
I also participated in the Bridges Program at Miami last fall.

3 Likes