Miami University - Ohio Class of 2025 EA & RD

That was Green Beer Day…a once a year tradition.

1 Like

@TMDuo28 , out of curiosity what are your daughters planning to study?

I ask because D21 (4.4 gpa, 35 ACT) asked the question of Admissions and the Honors College as to why she was assigned to Prodesse early in the process and was told that the Honors College made the decision based on her expressed interest in cross disciplinary studies, which is a focus of Prodesse (she was not admitted to both programs).

BTW, both Admissions and Honors College were adamant that after the Presidential Scholars program there is not a hierarchy between Prodesse and Honors. An applicant who knows that they’re a business or nursing major is likely to be assigned to Honors, applicants who are uncertain or have cross disciplinary interests are more likely to be assigned to Prodesse. Miami uses both programs as a recruiting tool so they typically avoid offering acceptance to both programs to a candidate as that would take up two slots out of a limited number available.

My D has denied the acceptance and good luck to whoever on the waitlist !

Where will she end up? We are a no to Miami too - down to C of C, FSU, U of SC and Arizona - with an outside Washington & Lee if she’s gets moved up from an alternate on a scholarship.

That’s interesting. I don’t think it applies for my D’s as they both applied for Engineering (Bio and Chemical), both made selections for the different Prodesse variations, and both applied for Honors. I’m not sure what their essays were about but one D does have a creative, artistic side so if she referenced that in the essay maybe that could be the lean towards cross-disciplinary studies even though she doesn’t plan to major in any fine arts. Thanks for sharing the perspective!

1 Like

I, too found it interesting - because while what was said makes sense, one provides funding and one doesn’t - so I would think it would be rewarded to deserving, not just based on a selected subject.

1 Like

Tulane has awarded my D 5 year scholarships for a master degree, which no any other college offers even Ives.

1 Like

Wow - so a 5, not four year scholarship?

Outstanding.

I think some schools let you use a four year for Masters…if you have enough credits going in to pull that off.

Tulane is a wonderful school - most would choose it over Miami all things being equal to begin with.

Great for her.

1 Like

@tsbna44, from my perspective the whole setup is somewhat confusing. Yes, Prodesse comes with $2k a year in additional merit, but there are also benefits with the Honors program that you don’t get with Prodesse.

My guess, and this is pure speculation on my part, is that they try to make the net benefit fairly even in an effort to maximize their yield for their 200 Prodesse Scholars and 400 Honors program participants.

Anyone have any thoughts or insight on the ET (Emerging Technologies) Leadership Honors program? D2 was accepted into it this week (she had not applied to it, but it sounds very interesting). I believe it was formerly under a different name.

I smell money freeing up at Miami! LOL D21 hasn’t decided yet. JMU offered surprise money last week, so it’s back on the table. Doing one last round of visits next week on our break, then it’s time to make a decision!
Good luck to everyone!

I hope - Miami is out for us (too rural) but I hope others schools give. Charleston gave us $4K more. But that’s it. It’s the leader in the clubhouse - not near the cheapest, just perhaps the best fit.

We’re visiting CoC next week! We haven’t been there yet - D is in with Honors College and they gave us an extra $2k last week also! You getting $4k makes me think maybe we can ask for more if she loves it! LOL I’m thinking it’s going to come down to Miami and JMU, but CoC is the wildcard. I can see her loving Charleston as well. It will be coming down to the wire!

trying to email you privately but it’s not working - as your profile is hidden. hit me up if you’d like - can give you a little insight if it might help. thx

Weird- I don’t know how i did that! I think it fixed it, but i’ll PM you. Would love any input you have!

So did anyone just receive an email tonight saying their financial aid offer had been revised? We received it and went into my daughter’s offer, and it has not changed one bit. OOS, 21K, plus a Stafford loan. What did we miss? Because if there’s new money, we aren’t seeing it!

3 Likes

I got the same email but when I checked, I received nothing as well.

1 Like

Same situation here with the email and no changes. Did they just add the $5,500 loan in the “package” and report that as new information, or did they already show us that previously?

2 Likes

The loan should have been there previously at least for me. I originally had a screenshot back in January of the entire financial aid offer and used it to compare this “revised offer” but saw no changes. I even looked for slight changes such as tuition, room and board, and other expenses increase/decreases, but saw no change in that either. Strange.

2 Likes

The Stafford loan was in our offer in January so I am totally flummoxed as to why they issued this email. It seems as though it’s just the “finalized” financial aid offer, not a revised one. Hey, maybe the new date at the top constitutes as a “revised” letter, lol.

1 Like