Miami University vs University of Dayton?

My DS’23 was accepted to both University of Miami and University of Dayton (with merit scholarship) as an undeclared major in Arts and Sciences. We are from New England and visited both campuses over the summer, when the campuses were virtually empty. Wondering if anyone could provide any feedback/opinion on both/either school’s - reputation, student body, career and internship placement… any information about either or both would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

1 Like

If you’re talking about U of Miami in Florida (as opposed to Miami of Ohio), I’d say, hands down, U of Miami in FL. It is a far, far more selective school (30% vs 80%), so the other students at U of Miami are likely to be much more highly qualified. A huge part of college is the students you meet there, so barring other significant factors, I’d say U of Miami.

I suspect OP is referring to Miami University in OH based on the title, but perhaps @Ozzysmum can clarify? With respect to Dayton, paging @EconPop. In the meantime, this post from yesterday was more engineering focused, but is still good info: Engineering programs at UML, URI, NJIT, Dayton - #6 by EconPop)

1 Like

Hi, thanks both! Yes, I was referring to Miami University, Ohio.

1 Like

Both are very good schools, with generally happy students.

Miami is quite a bit larger (17K students) than Dayton (8.5K), and Miami also has a higher proportion of affluent students. Miami is more remote, while Dayton is more urban.

Both have excellent career centers and outcomes…please go to those websites and pull up their recent placement results. Your S can also contact the career centers for more detail.

Are finances a consideration/How do the net costs compare?

What majors is your S most considering?

3 Likes

University of Dayton is a Catholic college. Miami is a public university with no religious affiliation. Does that matter to you?

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.