Miami vs Purdue Engineering

<p>Now I know this question seems like a no brainier. Purdue all the way. But let me give you some background on my college situation. Today I got a call and an email that I would receive the Hammond scholarship which covers tuition for all four years. I've also gotten into schools like Purdue, Wisconsin-Madison, UCSD, Case Western and Lehigh for engineering, however they have given me little to no money. Here's the breakdown of what these schools have given me in aid. </p>

<p>Miami: $45,000
Purdue: $0
Wisconsin: $0
UCSD: $0
Case: $23,000
Lehigh: $5,000</p>

<p>Let's face it. Miami does not have the prestige for engineering as these other schools. But with 3/4 of my tuition basically paid for, how can I turn it down. Simply put, my question is "Should I pay more money for a more prestigious engineering school?" I'm positive I know the answer to this, I just want to hear what you guys think.</p>

<p>The question isn’t so much how much aid you have been awarded, but what the net cost will be at each school. For instance, are you in-state at Purdue?</p>

<p>I’m from Illinois. And I forgot to add UIUC to the list for engineering and they gave me a $20,000 Presidential Scholarship, but its over 4 years ($5000 per year).</p>

<p>Am parent of U Miami engineering student. Solid program. Small size enables personal attention from faculty. Great all around school. Plus weather is perfection.</p>

<p>Shouldn’t the decision be between Miami and Illinois, then? Not only would Illinois be more affordable, but also ranked higher than Purdue.</p>

<p>Just ruled out Purdue. So, in context with the question, Miami or UIUC. </p>

<p>Sent from my ADR6425LVW using CC</p>

<p>As a UIUC alum with a son currently at Miami, I understand your dilemma. Clearly, UIUC is a much better school for engineering. No question here. Depending on your specialization, it’s as high as #2 engineering school in the country. It’s also a very fun place, with Big Ten sports and every type of activity you’d wish to join.</p>

<p>For my son, going to a warmer climate was a high priority. Two years in, he certainly would choose the same again. It appears as though Miami would be cheaper for you - is that a factor? UIUC is also a much bigger school - is that a pro or con for you? I use to have to scratch and claw to find a class and revise my schedule at Illinois - I don’t know if that’s still an issue, but it’s part of a large school. I can almost guarantee you that switching majors is much tougher at Illinois. Do you care?</p>

<p>Just my $.02 - not worth much more.</p>

<p>Cost is most important at this time which is probably why I’m going to go with Miami. I would be paying $20,000 less at Miami. </p>

<p>I see all the schools you got in (forget the merit) and I see that you are a bright kid. I ask you. How prestigious was your HS? Was a top 10 school in the country? If it was not and you made it to too schools I guarantee you you will make it anywhere you go.</p>

<p>My school has fluctuated from being the #1 to number 2 in the state. Top 50 in the country. </p>

<p>I did civil engineering at UM for 2 years and really was disappointed. UM really isn’t known for engineering. Most of my professors weren’t very good at teaching in my opinion however sometimes there were a few that were okay. After switching majors and graduating last December all I can say is don’t do engineering at UM. I love UM as a school but my experience in the school of engineering is something I’d rather try to forget.</p>