Michigan State Class of 2027 Official Thread

Yep, I feel the exact same way. I felt like a bit of a monster even thinking these thoughts, and I am quite relieved to know that others share my concerns. I am so worried, and I feel that I owe it to my daughter to express my concerns and spell it out for her in a very stark, real way.

I want her to make her final college choice with her eyes wide open, and in order to do that, we must talk about this openly and honestly.

2 Likes

Right?! It breaks my heart as MSU may have been the perfect place for him and they have offered him such incredible opportunities. But I worry… Not for his safety - that does not seem any different to me there as opposed to anywhere else - but for these other reasons.

1 Like

I actually think it will make the community even stronger and more cohesive - valuing the contributions each person brings despite the huge student body. My DC still has it at/near the top of the list (hard to turn away from the merit $/honors opportunities/paid research position) and hasn’t flinched since the events this week.

3 Likes

I absolutely love this perspective! My son also got incredible merit/honors/professorial assistantship and it has the specific program he is looking for (which is hard to find). He’s not an “emotions guy” and has not talked about it in terms of concerns for himself in any way. But the idea that through this tragedy the community may become even stronger and more cohesive puts some of my biggest concerns to rest. Thank you for that!

2 Likes

I am a current MSU parent - my daughter is a sophomore. She is home this week because they closed down classes, but will return Sunday with classes starting back up Monday (that varies).

I will say, I thought I loved MSU. I was wrong. I absolutely ADORE that school after this. The support and love shown to our students by the administration, faculty and the surrounding East Lansing community has been nothing short of amazing. There will of course be discussions about what to do differently now on campus, but I will say as an OOS parent listening to the scanner as my daughter sat behind her barricaded dorm room for 4.5 hours … the emergency responders were heroes. It is hard to overstate how important MSU is to the local community - Sparrow Hospital, which took the casualties, had to turn away medical staff who showed up that night to help because they were overwhelmed with volunteers.

There is a lot of processing left to do, and for many the trauma will always stay. But Spartans are true, and if anything this has brought the campus together even more. Please don’t be afraid of Michigan State for this reason. We unfortunately joined a club no one wants to belong to, but by and large the campus and surrounding community are lovely.

6 Likes

Your words are so inspiring! Thank heavens (or really, thank the heroes!) that your daughter is alright. Your post moved me to tears and it is so generous of you to write given how challenging I’m sure this time is. Sending support your way!

2 Likes

Thank you to those still saying positives about MSU. My daughter just found out she is a finalist for the ADS competition. Since the tragedy, I have had my reservations, while I have sobbed along side all the current families reading every word on the parent groups. But reading the optimism coming out of the tragedy has been helpful.

3 Likes

ADS notification via email?

We haven’t seen anything from ADS

1 Like

Last day to send addl info is 2/19. I have 2 grads from this school. You should (meaning your kid) have contacted the honors college at the beginning of Jan. They are only really looking at applicants from the 11/1 applicants for honors. They send you what needs to be sent.

Didn’t the ADS competitions already happen in late January and early February? (My son did the one in late January and had a great time!)

The ADS exam was end of January and first Sat in February. We are just waiting to hear if they made it to the next stage - interviews. Haven’t seen anything yet. They said around the last week of February.

Same. I wonder if things will be significantly delayed as they navigate work and tragedy.

1 Like

I asked because @eastwestmom posted her daughter was notified of ADS finalist.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for putting my thoughts into words. I couldn’t have said it better. I too have an OOS student there and feel nothing but admiration for MSU. :heart:

The support has been amazing - the community, emails from professors and advisors, parents checking on my son who decided to stay there this week and grief with the rest of them.

And for those hesitant about academics, we have been beyond impressed by the opportunities he has been offered. He’s currently working on two research projects. MSU accepted all his AP and DE credits leaving him with hardly any core requirements. He will likely take at least one graduate class in his major next semester.

3 Likes

yes

We heard on Friday. Semi finalist out of 900, fingers crossed for finalist!!!

4 Likes

Best wishes!!

Congrats! My son hasn’t heard one way or the other and the waiting game in all of this is driving me nuts. They told us decisions would be out by Feb 24th, and I haven’t heard of anyone receiving a “no, you’re not moving on” email yet. He has another result at a different college due March 1. Once he has all that, he can make a final decision. So much waiting!

1 Like

Hello! Who told you decisions for ADS would be out by Feb. 24th? I’ve wondered if their recent tragedy might result in delays. Good luck!

1 Like