Middlebury Class of 2027 Official Thread

This is the official discussion thread for Middlebury Class of 2027 RD applicants. Ask your questions and connect with fellow applicants.

RD Application Deadline is: January 3

Did anyone apply ED 2?

The CC announcement countdown says 3/26 for Midd but Midd’s own portal says 3/18.

Yes, portal says 3/18 at 8am ET so sounds like CC has it wrong.

It looks like CC also has Ivy Day wrong so I’m not sure I would trust their dates.

Per the Middlebury website -
The overall class will include 630 students for fall enrollment and 105 who will start in February 2024.

Decisions for regular admissions will be sent to students on March 18.

2 Likes

That’s crazy that 516 of the 735 total members of the class of 2027 were chosen through early decision (unless I read that wrong?). That’s over 70% of the class!

I understand that because they will only get 25-30% yield for regular decision, they are admitting more than 200 students in March, but it’s still such a small group! And such an advantage to be able to go ED :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I was shocked when I read it as well. Typically the recruited athletes are in the ED round so I’m sure that factors into the ED acceptance rate. Still crazy though.

1 Like

They will, more than likely, overenroll again this year, and end up with 760-780 students. Also, yield from ED is not 100%.

Still, that’s a jump from last year’s 438.

As well as 30 Posse Scholars, and now an unknown number of QB admits. There will be very roughly 150-180 recruited athletes.

Absolutely.

QB is difficult to factor in, since we do not know how many there are, and, while around 28% of all QB finalists are matched, it’s impossible to figure out acceptance rate, since finalists list up to 13 choices, and this differs between individuals. So it’s not 100% certain what the acceptance rates for ED applicants who are neither recruited athletes nor Posse or QB is. However, it’s likely no lower than 35%.

If Midd just needs another 220 students, they’re unlikely to accept more than 1,100 students, if they assume the same yield for RD as last year.

There are almost 12,000 RD applicants this year.

Acceptance rates for ED applicants will be around 3x those of ED applicants.

When I saw their stats this year my first thought is that Middlebury will over enroll (again). It doesn’t seem like they are trying to correct the over enrollment issue unfortunately, which is surprising since it does seem to be materially impacting student’s experience (forced to live off campus, impossible to get classes, and crowded dining).

It almost certainly won’t get to that again. That happened because so many students took a semester off, and graduated later, the overseas students were all on campus, and they were unsure about yield for 2021. It’s probably going to look like it did for the class of 2022.

1 Like

Hope you’re right. Our son was admitted ED for class of 2027.5 and it does seem (at least from the comments from other parents on the Midd Parents FB page) that Midd is struggling with capacity issues on various fronts. Thanks for your thoughts!

Good luck! My Daughter is a senior at Midd, so we’ve gone through COVID, The Great Population Explosion, and more. She was a Junior when students were placed in the Breadloaf (amazingly beautiful, but they can get cut off). Her entire group of friends ended up being accepted to the “Artsy” House (there are a few of those houses for different interest groups), and are still there.

2 Likes

well this is looking pretty grim for my RD applicant S23. Same story everywhere too. Too many applicants…can’t accept all… He would love to attend, but right now we are very glad both our twins have solid EA acceptance in case everything goes south come RD decisions. Good luck everyone.

5 Likes

This is looking rough for my daughter as well. Gosh, that’s a lot to accept ED.

2 Likes

anyone know what time they will release tomorrow?

I believe 8am EST.

1 Like

Based on its CDS for last fall’s entering students, it seems Middlebury’s accepted RD applicants enrolled at a rate of 19.8% (with the assumption of 100% ED yield).

Results up a little early if anyone is anxious.

waitlisted. anyone have an estimate of what waitlist percentage will be this year?
it was surprisingly high last year and i wonder if that will stay the same