Minor setback for a major comeback

I’m sorry I am not very familiar with greek life, but wouldn’t it be very time consuming to rush and also be a member of a sorority? Also higher chance of getting involved in activities with other houses or fraternities that might cause a blemish on a future med school application?

Would it be advisable for the OP to focus on her studies the first year and bring GPA up and then decide if she still wants to rush sophomore year?

And I agree with others to see what can be done about the community college grades as far as a medical withdrawal.

Just got a copy of my transcript and I passed two college classes with a C and two with an F, my high school weighted gpa is 3.17 and my college gpa is a 2.36. According to the greek-chic published last year, the minimum gpa requirement is 3.0 for all but 2 sororities unless it has changed this year I should be fine. I will be taking college classes this summer so my college GPA will increase but my high school GPA will not, not sure if that affects rushing or not. Thank you all for your advice, it’s greatly appreciated.

Your college class GPA shouldn’t impact recruitment. However, I do think you should be very realistic about recruitment for this Fall. A 3.0 is the bare minimum that some sororities will accept from a potential new member. With 2500 girls rushing, there are a lot that have greater than a 3.0. Therefore, you will need to keep a very open mind about which sorority you would like to join, as many may have to choose between you and another new member that has a higher GPA. The higher GPA indicates less risk of having academic problems in college. The overall GPA of a sorority is a big area of pride for the organizations, so they take it very seriously. If you go through recruitment in the fall, make sure to be open to joining any and all sororities.

brooke4998, I would still try to contact the CC and explain the situation and see if you could withdraw in the two classes in which you got an F because of health issues.

^^ Agree with all who are saying to appeal to the CC for retroactive withdrawal. You will have an extremely difficult path to medical school with two Fs and two Cs on your transcript.

Also are you allowed to take community college classes after graduating high school? I thought the UA scholarships are only for freshmen? Will they consider you a transfer student?

You seem to be more concerned about joining a sorority than your GPA. What’s the rush? Why not see how your first year at UA goes and then join a sorority next year?

Really, @mommdc? Tell me that pun was intentional! ;))

I am absolutely worried about my gpa, but I am confident I can achieve good grades and rush at the same time. And also, it is not extremely difficult to get into medical school with 2 C’s and 2 F’s seeing as I spoke to an admissions counselor today from a medical school I am planning on applying to and he explained that they look at your overall GPA and grades in classes required for medical school as admission factors and that goes for the majority of medical schools nowadays.

@brooke4998 - it is extremely difficult to get into med school, period. And those C’s and F’s are not going to make it any easier.

Please just explain to us why, oh why, wouldn’t you go back to the community college and file an appeal for retroactive withdrawal from this semester’s classes??? Almost everyone who’s contributed to this thread has encouraged you to do this . . . and we’ve gotten no response at all. Why won’t you do this?

It’s already been done, thanks

What classes did you take at the community college? Did they satisfy high school graduation requirements?

Did you take 4 classes the first semester of senior year as well?

mommdc brought up a good point, are you allowed to take classes after graduating from high school or before starting UA or does it not matter if a scholarship is not involved? (I don’t expect the OP to know…just wondered if anyone else did.)

<<<<
Just to clear some things up, I am planning on rushing this fall and I know there is a GPA requirement. Will they be looking at my high school GPA or my overall UA gpa? I know my high school gpa is a 3.1 now which I believe is right above the minimum requirement to rush.
<<<<

from Greek Life: All submitted academic information in Innova will be verified against official transcripts on file with The University of Alabama and academic information will be updated to match University records

So, this CC transcript will destroy your GPA. You need to get a medical withdrawal

[QUOTE=""]
. Also, I am planning on applying to med school or nursing school, will these F's affect my chances of getting in even though they're general education classes and none of them are apart of my major? I am very confident better grades are to come these next semesters.

[/QUOTE]

I don’t know about nursing school at Bama and whether those grades will factor in. I’m guessing they will and that would be a huge problem.

As for med school… At MD schools, all grades are considered, even if not in major or prereqs. Your only recourse is to take full loads each semester to reduce the impact of those grades. You’d probably have to apply AFTER graduation to get the full 8 semesters of top grades to help dilute the impact of those lousy grades.

But…as someone mentioned, bring medical documentation to the CC and see if they can give you a medical withdrawal or whatever they call it. THAT would be BEST.

Contact Scholarships, but Bama usually doesn’t care if students take classes over the summer between graduation and starting at Bama. But, email and get an answer in WRITING and save that email.

scholarships@ua.edu

<<<
And also, it is not extremely difficult to get into medical school with 2 C’s and 2 F’s seeing as I spoke to an admissions counselor today from a medical school I am planning on applying to and he explained that they look at your overall GPA and grades in classes required for medical school as admission factors and that goes for the majority of medical schools nowadays.

[QUOTE=""]

[/QUOTE]

which med school did you speak to? I think you either misheard or the person didn’t communicate well.

Your cum GPA and your BCPM GPA are what is looked at. If your GPAs are not high enough, your app will not even make it thru the first down-selection (which is electronic) and human eyes will never see your app.

I am very familiar with the med school app process. It’s something that I’ve been studying deeply for the past 10 years. I have a child in med school as well…at UAB Med. I have also been advising/helping premeds and their parents for the past 5-7 years.

All hope for you is not lost, though. You could, if necessary, apply to DO schools which not only allow grade replacement, but are more lenient with GPAs and MCAT scores.

if you’re determined to go to a MD school, then you have to dilute the impact of those grades if you can’t get the CC to do a medical withdrawal. That means…take as many classes that you can between now and college graduation to bump your GPA…if you can, take BCPM classes since those are two-fers. This may include taking summer classes as well. You will not likely be able to apply between junior and senior years. That is fine…you’ll do a gap year.

The blessing is that IF you can get your GPA up to 3.6+, THEN med schools will be more lenient in regards to those CC grades BECAUSE med schools are lenient when there has been a lot of TIME between bad grades and good grades. However, your app will never see HUMAN eyes if your GPA doesn’t meet the thresholds to get thru the first electronic filters.

Med schools receive thousands and thousands of apps, and they do not have time/man-power to read thru each app…so they rely on electronic systems to filter out apps that don’t make the cut. They individualize the thresholds by gender and race, so that a URM’s app will go thru with (say) a 3.5 GPA and 507 MCAT, but an Asian male student’s app might not. Then once the an app makes it thru that first line filter, then human eyes are looking at the apps. (exception: when a student does a post-bacc at a school that has an agreement with a med school, then that app may get hand-pulled so that it doesn’t gets filtered out.)

Either way, you need to become a more serious student. Your high school GPA suggests that you may not have what it takes to get thru the premed prereqs. I’m not trying to be mean, this is just the way it can be. If you don’t have a strong math and science foundation from high school, then everything will be 3 times harder for you. My son went to a private high school; one that was very strong in all subjects. He graduated with a 4.6 GPA. He got 5’s on all his APs (except AP English Comp, which was a quick self-study…he didn’t take the actual class…he got a 4). I’m just telling you this to give you an idea of the type of student that can make it thru and not get weeded out.

However, rarely there are students who “blossom” in college and make it thru. Maybe you’ll be one of those. :slight_smile:

Again, go to the CC with medical documentation in hand, and speak to the “higher ups” there…not just the folks at the front desks. You would probably need the dean of students (or similar) to advocate for you and perhaps sign off on the medical withdrawal. Get a parent involved as well, particularly one with good negotiating skills.

<<<
It’s already been done, thanks
<<<<

@brooke4998 What exactly has “already been done”? Please tell us what you’ve done because often the “right people” were not approached.

I don’t think this student had stats for a scholarship, so no need to be concerned about taking any summer classes.

@brooke4998, if you’re an out-of-state student, I hope you’re also considering costs. It’s close to $40,000 year to attend Bama for an OOS student. Even in state isn’t cheap at $24,000 a year. (Unless you were eligible for one of the big merit awards.)

@brooke4998 You said this recently (like Jan or Feb): I have a 3.2/3.3 GPA, 23 ACT

But back in October, you said you have this:
1340 m + Cr
640 +700

If you have a 1340 M+CR SAT, which is equivalent to an ACT 30, then WHY would you more recently say that you have an ACT 23, which is far below?

I did not make this thread to talk about the cost of tuition, scholarships and my ACT scores, I made this thread to ask a question that has already been answered. The community college does not do retroactive withdrawals and after having both of my parents speak to them the only answer we got is that we gave them proof of getting sick before the withdrawal deadline therefore it’s my fault I didn’t withdrawal in time and they can do nothing. I talked to the head of admissions at University of Maryland Medical School and I’m quite sure he knows what he’s talking about and my cousin recently graduated from that school as well. I am confident I will have the gpa to get into medical school and I have an EXTREMELY high background in science and math. Thank you all for your concern.