Miscellaneous Life Ramblings

<p>Since we were on campus for a few hours at a college process session on pick up day, I got to see a bunch of students.</p>

<p>The following “look” was definitely in evidence among the SAS male students:</p>

<p>Down or synthetic down vest
Shirt of choice
Shorts
Flip flops</p>

<hr>

<p>I know I should know better than this, but the parent in me thinks “If it’s cold enough to wear a down vest/coat/pullover…isn’t it too cold for flip flops?”</p>

<p>SevenDad, my 18-year-old wears shorts and flip-flops during the winter in Maine. Now he’s in Florida in a gap year program. In photos posted on Facebook, he’s the only one wearing a long-sleeved jacket! I don’t get it.</p>

<p>SevenDad: that made me smile. We tap many, many trees on our farm during sugaring season… and I’ve learned to use maple syrup in recipes for just about everything! But the ice cream is the best. :)</p>

<p>cameo- I read cameokid’s post on another thread and she sounds like such a wonderful young lady. She needs her own account!! :slight_smile: Hope you two have a great break together.</p>

<p>Oh, and maple syrup poured over snow is a Photofamily fave… I love that!!</p>

<p>And as far as the “look” of the season: I have to go with Blazer, shirt/tie, shorts and Timberland boots. Yeah. I don’t get it either.</p>

<p>Thanks PhotoMom! I was reading that thread last night and asked for her thoughts, she said “Can I respond?” so she did… but one more online account is not in the cards for her right now, LOL – I’m thrilled that her school really limits internet access… it can certainly use up a lot of your personal time… as I know all too well! :wink:
We’re having a great break together… Hope you and yours are too… How’s your guest list looking for Thanksgiving?</p>

<p>We have a very large crew coming. Way too many people! I’ll be cooking up a storm, but I also rely on a coordinated effort with many volunteers. I’m hoping everyone sets their egg timers correctly this year! I don’t know how but it always seems to work out-- barely! :slight_smile: Happy Thanksgiving!</p>

<p>@London- Hope you’re having a wonderful break, too. Happy Thanksgiving!! :)</p>

<p>Cheers, everyone!</p>

<p>BTW, I see that someone tried to PM me but my inbox was full. It just cleaned it out if you want to try again.</p>

<p>Thanks, PhotographerMom… You too! So far so good. We are a small group this year… so we plan to eat (no dressing up) and then will have a huge session in front of the TV watching all the series on DVR that we promised we wouldn’t watch til she was home! LOL</p>

<p>Happy Thanksgiving to all on CC!</p>

<p>Just wanted to take the opportunity to amend my BS “fashion” post above and add Pea Coats. I have never seen so many Pea Coats (at both schools) in my life!!</p>

<p>Oh, and my sister found and polished up a pair of Earth Shoes she found in her attic. That’s a fashion comeback I can definitely live without. Even though I’m pretty sure I owned a pair, they’re the most bizarre things I have ever seen.</p>

<p>@PhotographerMom: We have a legendary story in my family about my mother and Earth Shoes…so we’re at some shoe store circa 1975 and we’re trying on those shoes. And my mother (a 1st gen Asian immigrant with a bit of an accent) asks for a “tan pair”. The salesperson comes back with a whole bunch of boxes…had heard “ten pair”.</p>

<p>I love that story, SevenDad :)</p>

<p>The Earth Shoes sparked a conversation ( and a trip down memory lane) about how we used to dress. The young women in my family today look so sophisticated compared to how we looked. Back in my day, our outfits were built around the colors in our argyle high socks- which usually included a lot of layers all worn together in this order: turtleneck, polo (collar turned up, of course- sigh), button down shirt capped off with a Fair Isle sweater. And we had no trouble wearing all these layers when it was 80 degrees outside!! Oh, and the whale, lobster or bandana pants tucked into bean boots. Just lovely… it was an interesting look that’s for sure. I’m certain when the kids unearth the photos after I’m gone they’ll have a good laugh. But for now… they’ll remain hidden :slight_smile: </p>

<p>I was voted “Most Preppy” two years in a row- which is kind of ridiculous when you think about it… So at least I have that?</p>

<p>This was the funniest thread I have ever read on CC</p>

<p>I want to share a quick story about E&R - they lost 2 pair of my sons pants. They have a 3 step barcode checking process and his pants were checked in twice but then disappeared. I called on a Monday (2 weeks after the pants disappeared) - they did some double checking - I called again on Friday, and they sent me a check. Didn’t ask for receipts, took full responsibility. That made me happy. The thought of him doing his own laundry is frightening, and even more so after reading some of these comments! :)</p>

<p>PhotographerMom, ………….and the tortoise shell head band and gold knot earrings. </p>

<p>Not sure what the “earth shoes” are, but we wore kelly green wide whale cords, white lacoste polo with collar turned up under a blue sweater with the circle monogram centered on chest. The shoes of choice for this and similar outfits were blue suede clogs that had a gold ornamental buckle on side. Or Sperrys of course.</p>

<p>To change the topic drastically, I invite you all parents of juniors and below (for seniors, alas, the moment as passed) to join the GMTplus7 Book Club.</p>

<p>GMTplus7 had recommended via PM that I read “The Gatekeepers”, which chronicle the ins and outs and ups and downs of the Wesleyan Admissions Office for the class of 2004. Not a “how to” and a very interesting read that I just finished this AM instead of shoveling the walkway.</p>

<p>While the info is dated (if anything, the volume of applicants is up and the admit rates are down), it’s a good glimpse into how one school tries to build a class while maintaining “stats” (app volume, yield, avg. SAT, etc.)</p>

<p>For me, I saw many parallels among the applicant pool mentioned and the BS app pool that we see every year. Check it out:</p>

<p>[The</a> Gatekeepers: Inside the Admissions Process of a Premier College: Jacques Steinberg: 9780142003084: Amazon.com: Books](<a href=“http://www.amazon.com/The-Gatekeepers-Admissions-Process-Premier/dp/0142003085]The”>http://www.amazon.com/The-Gatekeepers-Admissions-Process-Premier/dp/0142003085)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>puts hands slowly up to ears…</p>

<p>Not to beat the “earth shoe” thing to death, but I saved all summer to buy a pair. I couldn’t wait to go get them. Long story short: they were the singularly most uncomfortable shoes I have ever worn. LOL But I couldn’t admit it because that was all I had talked about for months. And, although I can totally relate to the multi-layered clothing thing, my class (for some odd reason) went down-market. It was a badge of honor to wear topsiders or, preferably, Bean blucher moccasins that you had worn so much that duct tape was necessary to hold them together. Such was the life of a girl’s school attendee in the late 1970’s.</p>

<p>Click, then scroll down:
[Vintage</a> Clothes/ Fashion Ads of the 1970s (Page 22)](<a href=“http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/clothes-ads-1970s/22]Vintage”>http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/clothes-ads-1970s/22)</p>

<p>The “Earth Shoe” was basically a Birkenstock-like creation. Probably has some “heels lower than the toes”/“natural” philosophy behind it. Not very attractive, IMO.</p>

<p>BTW, I preferred Camp Mocs to Bluchers. I do remember one summer “breaking in” a pair, the edge of a few grommets that ran around the foot opening had come up and proceeded to slice the opposite ankle every time my feet crossed…you know, while walking. Beauty knows no pain and all that.</p>