Miscellaneous Life Ramblings

I first heard Prince during my own boarding school days. His death is a double shock as he seemed so fit and youthful.

I was just going to post that @SevenDad. The best.

Prince posters were up all over my bedroom as a teen. I have every word to every song of Purple Rain memorized and many of those songs are on my favorite playlist. DH and I were lucky to have seen him perform on his last tour. He was as amazing as ever, maybe even better than when he was younger.

I think I’m feeling Prince’s death more than that of Bowie’s…probably due to age and musical proclivities. MCA of the Beastie Boys was another that really hit home for me.

We have a few hours in the car today, and I made sure to run up to the attic to get all our Prince CDs (which had been long ago ripped to a music server) for the ride.

I wan’t thinking it affected me too much until I listened to “The Very Best of Prince” this morning. It is hard to believe just how many of those songs bring me back to a very specific place or time. And how many of the lyrics I know by heart. It was a subtle influence to be sure, but definite. I am really enjoying this album and the trip down memory lane.

A search for the post about the boy’s jacket used to stop an overflowing toilet led me to the earlier parts of this thread. AHHHHH…now I know what I’ll be doing to amuse myself tonight…reading this thread from the beginning!

Ok, without revealing too much about my identity - ah heck with it, I’m playing keyboards (E Piano and strings). Here is a link to my old band performing Purple Rain at The Mohegan Sun (CT) (January 2011). We were all Prince fanatics. One night at practice our guitarist reveals that Purple Rain was his favorite song and he knows the lead guitar part - note for note. Really? After listening to him replicate the solo, we learned the song and it became a great set closer. We would exhaust the crowd with dance songs and then give them a reprieve by ending the set or night with this song. RIP Prince - you were one of the greatest.

https://youtu.be/VUsTTwU-IDo

@i70sband You win the cool award! That was great…there have been so many great tributes online recently (yours included).

@carpoolingma This thread is the best one on CC. There are great memories and laughs to be had - read it from the start!

An acquaintance of mine is doing something pretty amazing and inspiring, and writing about it. 30 essays so far, but I’d start at #1 if I was you:

http://www.thedrive.com/travel/3180/lessons-in-adaptation

Another non-sequitur, but are there any Penn 91s among the parents here who are going to reunion in a few weeks?

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/apr/30/cv-of-failures-princeton-professor-publishes-resume-of-his-career-lows

:))
Our kids have a great start at this “CV of failures” with the all the prestigious boarding schools they did not get into and the summer programs and the colleges they will not get into.

Is he self-boasting that his CV of Failures is unrealistically short?

We were talking about Malia Obama’s college choice back on page 93 of this thread. Here’s the answer: https://www.yahoo.com/news/malia-obama-harvard-2017-150909681.html

I knew she wouldn’t go for NYU. I was thinking it would be Columbia.

Can I just give a shout out to BS live streaming? So nice to be able to watch your child on a special day when it isn’t possible to be there and to “invite” grandparents and the like to do the same. (In this case a cum laude induction that would have taken 8 hours of driving to attend for dd’s 2 minute acceptance talk) So glad I didn’t have to suffer the weekly - or monthly- call on the hall phones like my mom did when I was away at school. This is wonderful for international and budget conscious families as well.

@friendlymom And you were also right that the west coast schools (S and UCB) were apparently not her cup of tea. Goes to show “it’s hard to turn down Harvard”

What do you think her hook was?

Underrepresented daughters maybe? :))

@laenen and @panpacific lol!!!