MIT Class of 2027 Official Thread

Looks like great weather for CPW!

Have fun!

DS2022 (MIT 2026) loved meeting like-minded people, eating a bunch of different food (he loved the samosas), getting SWAGs.
I’m sure kids know to wear sneakers/comfortable shoes.
My son stayed at a frat, so he trekked over the bridge often/all over campus to attend different events.

I think MIT Coop (the bookstore/merch) may have a 20% off coupon to get your favorite MIT sweatshirt.

2 Likes

Because they are only trying to fill ~1000 spots. So, odds are neither are getting in.

We’ve had someone from admissions here explaining that even he cannot “chance” an MIT hopeful. No one knows until they are actually in a room together assembling that year’s class.

You said “similar” ECs and essays…but most kids who get in have something unique or at least a unique combination of things to do, including what they do for fun. If they don’t stand out, probably neither are getting in. If they both do, maybe both are.

Their grades/scores just tell us if they cleared the bar for preparedness. After that, other factors come into play.

4 Likes

Anyone heard anything about the waitlist yet?

1 Like

Nothing yet. Earliest is supposed to be mid-May?

1 Like

Can tackling AP Calc BC as a sophomore get me one step closer to MIT, or will it just make me better at calculating the pizza tip?

Knowing calculus is pretty much a given for accepted MIT applicants. If your question is are brownie points awarded for taking it as a freshman or sophomore, then no.

Did anyone in the class of 2027 received information or message from MIT today i.e. 1 May? As far as I know, 1 May further details were meant to be sent by MIT to set up MIT Kerberos account for all students for the class of 2027. Thanks

No news on the waitlist yet, but MIT admissions did send me an email about coding equity. Pretty sure they had to know what they were doing with that one.

This year I’ve heard a lot of people who were admitted at Harvard and MIT chose Harvard, meaning MIT’s yield could end up being lower than usual. Honestly though, my grades are kind of a mess right now (As and Bs and 1 C), so I fully expect to just get rejected.

In case accepted MIT students/parents are still following this thread,
highly recommend your children to take ALL the available ASEs (Advanced Standing Examinations) before Fall semester.

I want to share something that I wish I/son had known regarding ASEs:

• to take as many ASEs before Fall Semester freshman year, because they’d be Pass/NoRecord, especially if they’re not your major.

If you take an ASE before the Spring Semester or future years, the grade you get on the ASE shows up in your transcript. So if you get a C or lower, the ASE grade will be there.

My son (class 2026) could have passed the Chem and Bio and definitely Physic ASE, but since he took those classes during Covid years/may not have covered everything, he was hesitant to take the ASEs.
But when he took the MIT classes for those subjects, they were all reviews (and he was bored).

Point is: take the ASE (even for subjects you didn’t take AP/CLEP) and if you don’t do well, they’re Pass or NoRecord.

NOTEs:
Son is a math major, and he placed out of Calc1, pass the Calc 2 ASE,
so he started in Differential Equations Fall semester.

for Spanish, my son “interviewed” with the Spanish department head and he was placed into Spanish 4,
skipping 1-3.
He got a 5 on AP Spanish in 11th grade.

So you may not need the Spanish/whatever language ASE since you have to meet w/ the Department Head for placement.

2 Likes