Mono

<p>DD took herself to the health center yesterday and got the dreaded diagnosis… Mono. We are 1000 away, I feel so helpless. She’s managing ok, but probably pushing herself more than I would allow if I was there. So many academic, greek, social and football commitments! </p>

<p>Anyone else in this situation?</p>

<p>sounds like she needs to cut back in the greek, social and football categories.</p>

<p>sorry she is sick … that stinks.</p>

<p>So sorry bluehen. How long has she been sick?</p>

<p>So sorry to hear.</p>

<p>What was she told to do about school, etc?</p>

<p>someone elses student on here had mono last year. Maybe they have some tips for you?</p>

<p>Blu hen, so sorry to hear that. I understand how you feel being so far away. From what I’ve heard, there are people who can check on her for you. There is a Dean in charge of things like that. I’m sure someone here will let you know who. I’m willing to guess that she will take it easy on her own when she sees just how exhausted she will get doing so little. She also needs to realize that her spleen is enlarged so physical activity should be done cautiously. So who has she been kissing? ;-)</p>

<p>^ This may be the only time I’m glad my son prefers gaming to girls.</p>

<p>Bluehen, hope she feels better soon.</p>

<p>Bluehen, did the clinic give her good instructions on trying to prevent roommates from getting sick, and how to take care of herself (like the spleen info)?</p>

<p>My son had mono second semester last year. (He was so sick we had to go get him and bring home home for two weeks.)</p>

<p>Here’s what I did:

1. Met with Dr. Lowell Davis, Assistant Dean of Students, and provided him with documentation of our ER visit and the doctor’s excuse for two weeks. He then had someone contact all my son’s professors.
  2. With my son’s permission, I logged on his UA email account and sent an individual email to all his professors…I sent them as if they were from him. Everyone was exceptionally kind and helpful.</p>

<p>Son was told he could have no physical activity…no rowing or cycling…this was the hardest for him. Rest, rest and more rest is the fastest way to recovery. </p>

<p>Also, there is a new delivery service in town…Crimson2go…maybe one of their restaurants would have some chicken soup you could have delivered to your daughter.</p>

<p>Prayers for a speedy recovery!</p>

<p>DD got very little instructions from the health center about preventing the spread of this virus to her friends/roommate. I will talk to her about that. Great point, vlines! She did get instructions on how she should limit activities and play no contact sports. Bad coincidence that I just mailed her cleats and shin guards for IM soccer a few hours before she told me about the mono. None of that now.</p>

<p>I suspect that she was sick before we even left for Bama. She has had very sore throats off and on since August. I took her to the doctor the day before we left for campus and our doctor said her strep test was negative and to see a doctor at school if she didn’t get better…</p>

<p>Those days when I thought she was just moody and tired because of new school stress could have been the mono. It’s all coming together now. Hindsight is 20/20</p>

<p>Thanks Crimson217 for the info. I don’t think she is as bad as your son was. She has been going to class and just skipping the extra curricular activities. I will tell her about the Crimson2go and also make sure she talks with her professors if she is having trouble keeping up.</p>

<p>So sorry to hear she is sick! My D had mono her freshman year (two years ago). She was able to keep up with her schoolwork and classes but just limited everything else for a few weeks. Friends offered to drive her to and from class and bring her meals from the sorority house. Have her email her professors to keep them in the loop so they will know what is going on if she has to miss class. It is hard being far away from them when they are sick. Hang in there! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!</p>

<p>She has probably already exposed anyone that she spends time with on a regular basis, but it does not hurt to be careful just in case. </p>

<p>I am glad that she went to the health center and was diagnosed. Not that it is a fun diagnosis, but at least she knows what is going on, and that she needs to be diligent. </p>

<p>I believe that anemia is prevelant with mono too, so she needs to be really dilligent about eating well. That is a really hard thing for kids her age!</p>

<p>My son had mono last year (his sr year of HS when he was still at home), he was very sick for a little less than a week (maybe 4 or 5 days). His throat was so sore he didn’t want to eat or drink anything at all and didn’t want to do anything but sleep. After those few days when his throat started feeling better and he was able to eat more normally, he started getting his energy back. In less than 2 weeks he was back to himself and his normal activity level, although he wasn’t participating in any contact sports which still would have been discouraged.</p>

<p>He actually got sick just before his winter break, so he struggled through a couple days, then spent the beginning of his break in bed asleep. If there hadn’t been a holiday, he would have probably missed 2 or 3 days of school.</p>

<p>Mono is not airborne, so although highly contagious, the only way it would spread to roommates/classmates is if they shared drinking glasses or utensils that hadn’t been cleaned well. I took care of my son and didn’t get sick and somehow his girlfriend also managed to escape illness. Some cleaning wipes to wipe down all the surfaces and frequent use of hand sanitizer should keep everyone else healthy.</p>

<p>So sorry, Bluehen85! I know it is hard for you to be away from your D. Praying for a speedy recovery and lots of helpful, caring friends and professors for her!</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for your great advice, good wishes and prayers</p>