Moped??

<p>Yea or Nay?</p>

<p>You can have one if you want, lots of people do, but you don’t need one by any means. Most people don’t have them. </p>

<p>There’s decent moped parking though around campus, so that’s nice. Not much in the way of free parking off-campus though as far as I’m aware.</p>

<p>Also if you’re not planning on staying in Madison over the summer I don’t recommend it…you just won’t have very much time to use it with the long winter.</p>

<p>If you get one remember you need to follow car/motorcycle rules. Helmet for safety. Driving speeds- eg don’t go under the speed limit in the left lane on Campus Drive as I once saw. It may not be convenient for going to classes. You can cut through buildings and between them on foot but not with a moped- then you need to go the street way.</p>

<p>In Madison, you are required to have insurance as a moped owner.</p>

<p>I have noticed several buildings on campus that have eliminated moped parking areas, including Chemistry and Grainger.</p>

<p>Took a tour recently and saw the fleets of mopeds around campus. For those new students considering check the link below for campus info and parking locations . . . 71 spots btw. Clearly the advice on wearing a helmet is lost on everyone.</p>

<p><a href=“http://transportation.wisc.edu/files/MopedBrochureMap.pdf[/url]”>http://transportation.wisc.edu/files/MopedBrochureMap.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>With some 40,000 students plus faculty and staff it is no wonder many mopeds were seen. I would wonder how many freshmen living in the dorms have them or need them just to buzz around campus. The hassle factor for going between classes doesn’t seem worth it.</p>

<p>Yeah, if you live in the dorms, it’s kind of a waste. I never see too many mopeds parked outside dorms though, so I don’t think that many freshmen have them.</p>

<p>A decent strategy, though, if you want to live off-campus, is to live somewhere farther away than the expensive edge-of-campus places and to use a moped to get to class - you get a lot more for your money if you’re willing to live several blocks from campus, and sometimes you even get free parking. In winter mopeds aren’t so awesome (most go away when the snow comes) so taking the bus is probably the best option if you want to live farther from campus.</p>

<p>^^saw many mopeds outside Smith and Ogg. The snowless semester may explain that.</p>