Move-In Day for Freshmen in 2018

DS will starting at TAMU (Engineering) in the fall and this will be our first University experience.
Do they have the academic calendar for Fall 2018 yet?
Do all Freshmen move in on the same day? If so, do you guys know what day that will be?
Do parents do anything that day other than help them get moved in? Just trying to plan ahead.

Thanks!

@Sparkmom Congrats on beginning this journey. Welcome to the engineering family. My Aggie is a sophomore engr. If you have not done so, and you are on facebook, join the private group Aggie Moms and Dads of Current Aggie Students or something like that. You will have to answer questions from the admin and it does take a few days. It is only open to parents. Very helpful group and info. Be warned, Posts are for information (get or give) not chat but then feel free to chat in the comments on that post.

The 2018 fall calendar is not out yet. They will have then by May (maybe before) as they give one to each family at NSC. I waited to buy one for fall 2017 and they were sold out! My Aggie forgot to get one for the following fall before coming home in May. Get an extra. I poured over it freshman year and he liked having his own in his dorm.

Freshman are given a day to start moving in. Usually the Saturday/Sunday week before school starts. Then, there are things to do all week before school starts during Howdy Week. As it gets closer, there should be a list online you can google for that lists everything going on that week. It is a crazy day.

You do not have to move in on that day though. My freshman was not able to move in until Tuesday or Wednesday following the first day of move in, and he was fine. He had gone to fish camp and their group leaders are great about doing things with their groups during howdy week and he had some friends there already.

We drove down the day of move in because we are only 3 hours away and then took him to dinner and went home. Yes, I cried. To move out, we came in April, before the finals, and moved out everything he didn’t need for the next two weeks and he drove home after all of his finals. .Now,our first one, we stayed the whole weekend move in and move out. Usually there isn’t anything for parents to do except go eat. The Bush Library is nice if you haven’t seen it. Get your car window decals and T shirts if you didn’t during NSC.

Out on the academic calendar it says first day of classes is 8/27. I backed into that date, so believe move in day will be Sunday 8/19. I called housing and they confirmed that (would be nice to see in writing). If my daughter decides to Rush, I have been told that they have activities that Sunday and you can move in early. Housing confirmed that early move in is a charge of $40.

This is what is available so far:
move in info https://reslife.tamu.edu/movein/
academic calendar https://registrar.tamu.edu/Catalogs,-Policies-Procedures/Academic-Calendar

Yes, sorority recruitment starts on Monday but there is a group meeting on Sunday, normally late afternoon that they attend to explain the procedure. You can request to move in early (on Saturday), that’s what we did. The girls are VERY busy during recruitment week, they normally bus them from the campus to the sorority row area off campus early morning to late night. It is wise to get them settled on Saturday.