Move-In

<p>Any advice or words of wisdom from upper classes for packing/moving in?
What is often brought, but not used?
What do you consider to be essential?
Storage solutions that you liked? Didn't like?
Anything you consider to be important?</p>

<p>Good questions! And do kids actually bring small flat screen TV’s for their dorm rooms? I want to say “no way” but was curious as to what the norm is.</p>

<p>The moving in process at TCU is amazingly smooth! Once you get your room key at check in, you will be directed to drive your car to an unloading area near your dorm. There are lots of TCU student volunteers who will be there to help carry items in. </p>

<p>Once in, the first task if to figure out how you want your furniture placed. The beds can all be lofted so you can put your desk and dresser underneath them. The benefit of this is that it allows for lots of room for a TV and additional seating for friends who visit. At least 50% of the rooms will have TVs. With the door propped open, it makes for a fun gathering to watch some of the kids’ favorite shows. But there are TV lounges where kids gather to watch programs as well.</p>

<p>Storage cubes that can double as seating are always good in a dorm room. Also, don’t forget to buy a clothing bar that you can hang from the existing clothing bar which will allow you to double up on closet space. The Bed, Bath and Beyond near campus is super helpful. We had everything registered for locally and it was all waiting once we arrived in Fort Worth. At that time, you can pick and choose what you want to purchase. There also is a Target, Costco, Container Store and mall near the Bed, Bath and Beyond. </p>

<p>Hope that helps!</p>

<p>My daughter was very glad she bought a fridge cart with 3 sliding baskets underneath. Several people recommended getting one, and I really didn’t see what the big deal was until we got there. If you don’t have something to place the microfridge on, you either have to set it on the floor or place it on the desk or dresser, which are the only flat surfaces available in a lot of rooms. Plus, the baskets underneath came in very handy for storing paper plates, napkins, peanut butter, tea bags, popcorn, etc. She got the Container Store one (ordered locally but picked up in FW, like Rice1961 did), but Sam’s Club now sells one (fewer baskets, cheaper price), as does Pottery Barn (fabric baskets, comparable price). She and her roommate also each bought a set of Container Store shelves, which they used to store their books, binders, printers, CDs & DVDs, etc. They didn’t have a TV, but if they had brought one, it probably would have been placed on the shelves.</p>

<p>If you plan to assemble anything in the room or raise/lower the bed, I suggest bringing a rubber mallet. Makes the job easier and doesn’t mar surfaces the way a hammer can.</p>

<p>Thanks for the great suggestions…we did get the Container Store fridge cart and the desk hutches…they look like great pieces. Planning on bringing a work towel and mallet…thank you! What did your girls do with the window? It already has a mini blind if I remember correctly…isn’t that enough? I’m trying to convince my daughter not to pack/take too many clothes and to do laundry much more often than she does at home…haha!</p>

<p>I think all rooms have the miniblinds. Roommate brought some cute Pottery Barn curtains that were put up with tension rods. They looked great, but didn’t really make the room darker. D’s room in Clark was on the MWF tour last year, so if you took the afternoon tour on those days you may have seen it. If you want, PM me with an email address and I can send you room pics.</p>