Musicians and Parents - Introduce yourself!

<p>Welcome. We are also from Northern California and my son is in the conservatory (as a composer) at Bard and I would be happy to answer any general questions. Your daughter does sound like a perfect fit for a double degree program. But, yes, Bard Conservatory is extremely competitive - particularly as they only accept a few applicants on each instrument each year. However, if accepted, Bard can be very generous with merit aid - up to full tuition.</p>

<p>Have you also looked at Oberlin and Lawrence? They both sound like they would be a good fit for your daughter (although I know nothing about the individual violin studios.)</p>

<p>i am a rising senior and i play violin. I am planning on auditioning at Hartt School of Music, New York University, Western Connecticut State University, Gordon College (MA), Wheaton College (IL) and Northwestern. I have played for nine years, mainly under a Polish instructor (trained in Europe), now under a local teacher who is also conservatory trained. I have played in both my classical orchestra, and school ensemble, for three years. I have covered jazz, pop and folk but focus on classical. I am playing Mozart 3 concerto for my audition, as well as two mvts from Bach Partita no. 2. i am interested in being a music education/performance double major. that is just my background, and i hope that i am not entering this very good conversation too late…</p>

<p>PolishViolin, no, you are not too late! There are plenty of wonderful strings people that can give you advice through this forum. You are just in time (before applications and auditions) to clear up any questions.</p>

<p>Great to be “out” on the forum instead of lurking! Thank you for advice so far. SpiritManager, what does your son think of the location of Bard? D had wanted to be close to a major city to explore opportunities to play. I’ve been reading N8ma’s posts and feel really excited about their philosophy.</p>

<p>@matissemom This is the wrong thread to discuss particular schools so I’ll send you a PM. But the gist is he loves the location - close enough to NYC for influence, connections & special concerts (& many students actually go in for lessons) but far enough away that everyone stays on campus & it feels like a year round music festival.</p>

<p>Mom of musically inclined twins here, a jazz guitarist S and a multi genre bassist D. They are seniors about to start the application process. I have been coming here to CC for a few years now to learn all about the process and have tried to share all that I have learned with the kids. I want to thank everyone for sharing information! It has been so helpful. The application process will be tough, the kids are focused on a very small number of schools each. I can only hope they are well prepared and able to get where they want to go and that the options are something we can pay for!</p>

<p>Starting this fall as a horn performance major at UA, with a possibility of double-majoring in Spanish.</p>

<p>Son looking to transfer to jazz program on tenor sax. What are pros and cons of Manhattan Scool from your perspective?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>stress - keep us posted on how double majoring works out, DS2 is looking that as a possibility for Trombone perf., want to see how feasible the double major is. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>jcolvin99 - more folks will see your question if you start a new thread.</p>

<p>My daughter is going to audition this fall for vocal performance programs. She is a soprano. Does any one know of particular colleges/conservatories that have funds for performance bases scholarships? Thanks so much.</p>

<p>They pretty much all have performance based scholarships. Some less than others and things are VERY competitive for sopranos. Give us some more parameters (location, size, your home state etc) and that will help people make recommendations.</p>

<p>Thanks for your interest! We are in Arizona. If my daughter were to go out of state, she would need a significant scholarship. She is interested in applying to conservatories (Boston, New England, San Francisco). Are there some conservatories that are more generous than others, scholarshipwise?</p>

<p>San Francisco Conservatory is expensive and recently has not been all that generous (at least that was my D’s experience when she applied for grad school—she was offered the maximum, but it just was not enough. Have you looked into ASU? There are some wonderful teachers there. And in state would be a real bargain. [Carole</a> FitzPatrick | Faculty + Staff Directory | ASU Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts](<a href=“http://herbergerinstitute.asu.edu/directory/selectone.php?ID=4829]Carole”>http://herbergerinstitute.asu.edu/directory/selectone.php?ID=4829) – has had some real success with her students.</p>

<p>Thanks for the information, musicamusica! She is definitely going to apply to ASU and to the U of A. It’s great to know that there is at least one professor that is wonderful! Do you know if a student should be able to ask for a particular professor upon acceptance? Thanks again!</p>

<p>I will PM you!</p>

<p>And yes you can. I would suggest a lesson from her before the audition. I think that ASU has rolling admissions…so it might be nice to have an early acceptance.</p>

<p>Hi - I see that you are playing bassoon at Curtis. Can you tell me how you came to choose that program? Are you an undergrad student? My daughter is a junior who plays the bassoon with the Emory Wind Ensemble and the Atlanta Symphony Youth Orchestra. She is looking for a place that she can double major in Spanish, but is really open to just music if the place is right. Can you tell me of strong bassoon programs that you know. Thanks - bassoonmum</p>

<p>bassoonmum,</p>

<p>Welcome to CC. You might stand a better chance of getting one or more answers if you were to send a PM (private message) to the person you are addressing and start a new thread with a descriptive title such as “Looking for a strong bassoon program”. That will catch the eye of the bassoon players and their parents who may not be interested in this particular thread.</p>

<p>To send the PM, go to the link way at the top right of this screen that says Private Messages and click on that. To start a new thread, go to [Music</a> Major - College Confidential](<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/]Music”>Music Major - College Confidential Forums) and click on “New Thread”.</p>

<p>Have son, senior, plays jazz vibes. Looking at jazz studies programs in or near NYC. Now considering New School, NYU, and Manhattan School of Music. He prefers conservatory. Does anyone know a student who has majored in vibes anywhere? Or otherwise have any relevant info? Seems to be very few vibes majors out there.</p>

<p>Vibesparent, I know you specify the NYC area, but Oberlin has a few great vibes players and I hear a great instructor, fyi.</p>