Musicians and Parents - Introduce yourself!

<p>Yes, I know a vibes player who chose Oberlin Conservatory over NYC. And is very happy there.</p>

<p>Thanks for both replies. I know about Oberlin and actually, itā€™s the only place where the vibes program was clear to us. Many jazz programs donā€™t even have vibes majors and those that do seem unclear as to who their teacher would be. But NYC area is priority for him. Having trouble Sorting through the other programs. Do you know any of these players reasons for going w/ Oberlin over NYC? Manhattan School is his 1st choice at moment.</p>

<p>Martha, send me your email via private message ā€¦ I canā€™t seem to respond via college confidential to your question.</p>

<p>I am new here, I have a d who is a junior hoping to be a piano performance major. We are looking at Temple (Boyer), Montclair, Juilliard, Oberlin etc. Everyone says we should pick a school based on the teachers. What does that mean? We have toured Mannes and hope to tour Temple and Montclair this fall. She is considering including a music therapy major as well. Help us get started on what we need to think about. We are in the Pittsburgh area.
thx</p>

<p>Welcome! The advice of choosing a school based on teachers is most relevant for those that will be majoring exclusively in performance. By that, people mean that your childā€™s private piano studio teacher is a very important factor in choosing a school (your child will usually have that teacher for all four years and that teacher will potentially have a bigger impact on your childā€™s development as a performer than any other person or factor). So, when a prospective performance major ā€œtoursā€ schools, they are advised to arrange lessons with possible teachers.</p>

<p>my d is a jr looking to be a piano performance major. What do all of you think of Boyer(Temple) and Cali(montclair). Thinking of trying to set up visits and wanted some feed back.</p>

<p>We are scheduling with temple which teacher should we get the sample lessson with</p>

<p>Hello,
D1 is a junior in HS, very committed to cello (and piano secondarily). She is quite strong academically, so we are struggling btwn liberal arts college w a strong cello teacher vs univ associated with a conservatory for the double degree option. No doubt we could find her a place in SOME conservatory, but could she get into an excellent one? Unsure.
D2 is a freshman in HS, very strong on flute, piano, and voice, and she is also quite strong academically. She loved the one campus we have toured so far (Brown). More about her in a few years, I imagine.</p>

<p>Ok lesson scheduled with Charles Abramovic at Boyer, working on visits with John J Cali school at Montclair. Wondered what your experiences are with what actual jobs are out there for Piano performance majors,thx</p>

<p>Hi! Iā€™m a recently converted (switched a year and a half ago) violist who wants to go into music! I donā€™t have too too much experience but my strengths are my very good intonation. I am practicing a lot and learning very quickly, and I average about 3 hours of practice per day ( I would like to be at 4 by January). Anyways, Iā€™m a senior in High School so auditions are coming up relatively soon. I am looking at: Boston University, Boston Conservatory, NEC, Peabody, Bard, IU, and NYU. Last year, I was second stand in the All-State Orchestra and I am in the Youth Philharmonic Orchestra in the NEC prep division. Does anyone know about the viola competition for music schools? Much appreciation for any knowledge or advice, Iā€™m a little in the dark about everything.</p>

<p>Welcome to the dark side, lovetheviola! My daughter is a violinist-turned-violist in her second year at the Hartt Schoolā€¦if you have any questions, weā€™re happy to help.</p>

<p>lovetheviola, you might benefit from reading the first dozen or so posts at <a href=ā€œhttp://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/258796-so-you-want-music-major-one-familys-experience.html[/url]ā€>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/258796-so-you-want-music-major-one-familys-experience.html&lt;/a&gt; if you have not already seen them.</p>

<p>Be careful to check and see if any of the programs in which you are interested require pre-screening recordings. The deadline for those comes very early in some schools.</p>

<p>Lovetheviola, I like your screen name :wink: </p>

<p>My S was in a similar situation to you, he is currently a third year viola major at Eastman. He played violin for many years, added viola at age 15 and played both until the end of junior year of HS when he made his choice. </p>

<p>Many of the schools on your list overlap with where he looked, BU, NEC, IU, BoCo and Peabody. He auditioned at a few of those. Pretty sure some of your schools now have pre-screening. Eastman has a great program and is a very nurturing community, I would recommend at least taking a look. Hartt also might be a good place to research, not quite at the same level as the other schools on your list but definitely worth a look, also a very supportive atmosphere, and they have an early audition date. </p>

<p>If you have any specific questions about teachers, your audition rep, and some of the specific programs, he has a pretty good feel for the viola community. He is already thinking toward grad school applications in another year. </p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>Iā€™m an undeclared freshman at USU, but I did tons of music in high school. I mostly sing and play the flute.</p>

<p>Hi. As my screen name may suggest, my son is an electric bass player in Ohio, a high school senior currently visiting schools with an eye towards finding the right ones to audition for. Heā€™d like to major in jazz but is also interested in music technology/sound engineering. He has played tuba in HS band for 7 years but doesnā€™t want to pursue it further. Bass is his true love.</p>

<p>Weā€™ve looked at Capital in Columbus (he liked it), are seeing CCM in Cincy this Friday, and will likely visit Paterson in NJ near Thanksgiving. Some Indiana and Michigan state schools have come up in our research but being out of state the tuition is much higherā€¦weā€™ll see. The other schools heā€™s looking at arenā€™t conservatories, theyā€™re liberal arts schools with good music departments (Denison and Baldwin Wallace, for example).</p>

<p>I welcome suggestions if anyone has any. Berklee has pretty much been ruled out for now because of distance and the (lack of) student housing and overall cost. Schools in Florida or CA or even Texas are just too far - we have lots of family in NYC though so those schools are a possibility. The New School, in particular looks interesting.</p>

<p>Heā€™s a great musician and a pretty good student, but not likely to get into Oberlin, academically, and isnā€™t interested in schools that require a classical background.</p>

<p>Financial aid/scholarships will be a critical part of the decision making process.</p>

<p>Iā€™ve already gotten some helpful info here and will continue to lurk until I have something useful to contribute :)</p>

<p>DePauw or Duquesne, maybe.</p>

<p>As a safety, look into College of St Rose in Albany, NY. Good financial aid, scholarships and gorgeous new facilities. They have offered free tuition packages if they want you. Billboard has them on their ā€œSchools that Rockā€ list.</p>

<p>Ohiobassmom I am traveling this path as well with my bass playing daughter who also likes recording arts. She does play classical double bass as well as electric but it is not her main focus. She is not a super academic, music is her strength. </p>

<p>Take a look at University of the Arts in Philadelphia, SUNY Purchase, University of Hartford Hartt school of music. Hartt has a Jazz studies program and a recording arts major with a performance audition requirement.</p>

<p>James Madison in Harrisonburg,VA, VCU in Richmond, VA, Shenandoah in Winchester, VA all have Jazz Studies. JMU has recording arts.</p>

<p>We still have Berklee on our list,times two!D has a twin brother who is a jazz guitarist! We wonā€™t know which school we are able to afford until we get financial aid offers from schools so they are applying to a range of schools based less on cost than potential fit.</p>

<p>What we have learned is that if a school wants you, and everyone needs bass players, you stand a chance of a good package. We have been encouraged to shoot for some of the high dollar programs to see what the kids get.</p>

<p>Best of luck!</p>

<p>SUNY Purchase is acoustic (double bass only) but Todd Coolman is an excellent teacher. Hartt is also a good choice but they do not give financial aid only talent scholarships so their scholarships will depend on the audition pool. Harttā€™s classical studio had 16 basses in it last year and didnā€™t need that a big number of basses. Last year Bass was more competitive than usual and will probably be this year as well due to the bubble of students graduating in 2012 overall. At Ithaca, (Nick Walker-amazing teacher and soloist) they had 36 basses auditioning for 4 spots and we ran into many of them as we traveled the Northeast at different auditions. Sonā€™s studio at Crane (music ed school) has 12 basses and only 2 or 3 are graduating. Baldwin Wallace did say at last yearā€™s audition they donā€™t limit their acceptances to a specific number but will accept all who pass the auditions. So you might want to ask the schools how many spots they will have open for Fall 2012 to gauge your chances.</p>

<p>Hartt gives generous performing arts scholarships (their website says 86% of students receive some amount of these ranging from relatively small to full tuition) and participates in all federal financial aid programs. What they donā€™t do is combine academic merit scholarships through University of Hartford with the Hartt funded scholarships.</p>