My chances at UC

I’m a sophomore in high school currently and I have 2 Cs this year and got straight B’s last semester. This lowered my gpa significantly, from a cumulative gpa of 4.07 weighted to a 3.76 weighted. I got a 3.33 weighted gpa last semester. I took the PSAT and got a 1130 on it. I’m in track&afield, tennis, science Olympiad, MESA, FBLA, and a service club. I’m also a tutor at a local library and in a biomedical research class. I’m doing badly second semester since I think I’ll end up with a C again in trig/precalc. I am taking English honors, chem honors, trig honors, and ap world history currently. So what are my chances in getting accepted into UCI, UC Davis and UC Santa Barbara? I don’t think I can get into any other UCs…

My class rank is 150 out of 612, so roughly top 25% of my class. I joined all my extracurriculars during freshman year except science Olympiad and tutoring. Can I still get accepted to these UCs even though I got C’s ?

what’s your UC GPA? you’re still a sophomore, so you have junior year to bring yourself back up. Make sure you study hard for the SAT or ACT, so it can balance out your GPA should it not increase as high as you want it to be by the end of junior year. It’s honestly too early to tell your chances, considering you haven’t finished junior year yet.

My UC gpa is 3.75 weighted. I appreciate your feedback. :slight_smile:

The 3 schools that you mentioned have virtually the same admissions rate and criteria, even though the data would show that UCSB would be the most difficult to get accepted into, UC Davis would be the easiest, and UCI would be somewhere in the middle, there is no logical scientific way to estimate your chances and all anyone can honestly say is that your odds of getting into one of those 3 schools are “decent” based on the information you have provided.

These are the rates for admitted applicants in 2016

UCB 17.5%
UCLA 18.0%
UCSD 35.9%
UCSB 35.9%
UCI 40.7%
UCD 42.3%
UCSC 58.4%
UCR 66.2%
UCM 73.7%

Please read this though :

The information that the University of California provides with relation to Admitted students is almost always followed by the disclaimer “Please be cautious in drawing conclusions from this information. Use it as a general guide to selectivity and not as a predictor of your chance for admission to [a University of California campus]”

Acceptance rates do not take into account the competitiveness of many of the majors, so as stated above ^^^ these are guidelines.

Remember essays and EC’s are subjective, so dependent upon how they are received by admission officers. To be competitive, you still need to meet the UC GPA and test score thresholds.

Here is the link for UC Davis’s Freshman Profile 2016:

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/campuses/davis/freshman-profile/index.html

For the other UC’s: http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/profiles/

Thank you for your feedbacks and advice, I appreciate it. :slight_smile:

Would it help if I provided any other information? I am an Asian female, planning to major in bio but might apply undeclared. I am the art chair of science Olympiad and applying to CSF. Is there any other information I should include?

No, you don’t need to provide additional information.
**You are a sophomore.**Your grades from 10th and 11th grade are the major criteria that the UC’s use to consider admission.

You are a sophomore. Focus on your grades and SAT scores.
Don’t join a bunch of clubs and make up more activities. It’s not the quantity of activities but the quality and your GPA/test scores from 10TH and 11TH grades that will be considered.