MyBAMA LOWER MARKETING major?

<p>So I just noticed that myBAMA shows ONLY the courses required to satisfy the LOWER DIVISION Business Marketing classes required for that major.</p>

<p>dD’s OTHER major shows ALL the courses required for that degree, as does her minor.</p>

<p>DO you have to be accepted into the Business School UPPER Division BEFORE those classes show up on MyBAMA?</p>

<p>If so, that kinda defeats the purpose of an automated Degree Planner…</p>

<p>Yes. My DD is a marketing major as well, the upper courses don’t show up until you’ve been accepted.</p>

<p>This makes NO SENSE.</p>

<p>Why say “Finish in Four” And not include all the courses required to do so???</p>

<p>The " Progress Bars" certainly imply that the courses shown are all that is required.</p>

<p>DegreeWorks should, at the very LEAST, include a line that has the number of credits required to complete UPPER DIVISION.</p>

<p>I agree with you. My D had that issue when she was in lower division economics. It defeats the purpose of Degree Works, IMO. We used the “What If” and “Look Ahead” features and manually plugged in all the courses she needed. We don’t rely on Degree Works anyway. It’s a great tool, but it has its quirks. We have a spreadsheet developed directly from the catalog requirements that is our double check for Degree Works. Now that D has been admitted to Upper Division, Degree Works is more useful.</p>

<p>YOU SHOULD be able to, at the very least, depend on Degree Works to be a close approximation!!!</p>

<p>Finish in 4 my sweet patoootie.</p>

<p>Well, this doesn’t stop/prevent a student from Finishing in Four. </p>

<p>That said, you have a valid complaint. Who do you contact in regards to fixing Degree Works?</p>

<p>Just checked. There is a DegreeWorks Help screen where a form pops up and you put in your concern.</p>

<p><a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/services/degreeworks/degreeworks-help/[/url]”>http://registrar.ua.edu/services/degreeworks/degreeworks-help/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>The fact that DegreeWorks purports to accommodate multiple Majors and Minors, but fails to include all necessary requirements for one of the majors is a FAIL.</p>

<p>Eighteen more hours to complete a degree is significant. It would have been much more apparent if not for the requirements of the other degree, the Honors College, and the Lower/Upper Divisions of the B School.</p>

<p>I will address the complaint form with DD.</p>

<p>Degree works is just a tool, it isn’t the authority on major requirements. DW is not correct for DD’s major either, as it includes classes required prior to the start up of a new path for Intro engineering courses that aren’t required under the new track.</p>

<p>The curriculum flow chart on the department page of DD’s major has been out of date for some time. That is why I told DD to go talk to her advisor in the department office to get the straight info. The professor for her Intro to Engineering class actually was the one who tracked the current requirements down and shared them with her sections. </p>

<p>Try planning out 4 years when the bar keeps moving!</p>

<p>Well, apparently, I am. Snort.</p>

<p>Degree works is just a tool, it isn’t the authority on major requirements. DW is not correct for DD’s major either, as it includes classes required prior to the start up of a new path for Intro engineering courses that aren’t required under the new track.</p>

<p>This should be addressed.</p>

<p>The undergrad catalog for each class should be reflected within DW. If it’s not, then that needs to be corrected.</p>

<p>The bar should not move. If a student starts in 2013, then that’s the catalog they use regardless of any later changes. This should be reflected in DW. If not, then submit that valid complaint.</p>

<p>^^Perhaps DW is designed to be generic rather than specific. i.e., all requirements for all cohorts populate DW, it is up to you and your advisor to plot your appropriate course. This is what it appears to be for EE anyway, and why I had DD go to advising to come up with a correct 4 year plan. If I were to complain about misinformation on the UA site/DW for EE at least, my list would be as long as my arm!</p>

<p>FWIW, oldest DD is a business major at another U that also does not do direct admits to it’s COB (and uses the same software as UA). Until accepted by the COB, students there are considered gen studies with a pre-major emphasis. They only have pre-req’s - lower division courses - in their version of DW too. Their gen studies advisor helps map out the 2 year plan to make sure all pre-req’s are complete. </p>

<p>DD was assigned a COB advisor once she was accepted. Even though she had made a 4 year plan freshman year based on review of the departmental course flowchart in effect the year she started college, the COB advisor had to help adjust and revise her plan for changes that had been made to degree requirements during her first 3 semesters completed before acceptance to COB - i.e., she was ruled by the course catalog for the year admitted to COB, not for the year she started school.</p>

<p>Maybe that is why DW doesn’t include the upper division business courses for students not yet accepted to COB at UA. And a reason that DW should not be taken as authoritative.</p>