National Hispanic Recognition Program

<p>chalat,
With a 2120 you might be able to reach higher even than UT Austin. Maybe Rice, Wash U of St. Louis? I am not sure how your child’s overall ECs and stuff look but just so you know, 2120 would even give them a shot at say Columbia U in NYC. They have good FA. Anyway, just a thought–UT should not be a problem for them to get into top 8 percent or not IMHO.
Good luck and congrats to you and hismom2 and sanrasscr-okay bed time…good night all…wlm</p>

<p>Finally got my acceptance letter! I’m very excited… I hope it opens up some opportunities for me :)</p>

<p>Just for information…</p>

<p>class of 2014 hispanics who took the sat </p>

<p>85,761 mexican americans
24,365 puerto ricans
112,254 other hispanics</p>

<hr>

<p>222,380 Total</p>

<p>5000 NHRP scholars = 2.25% of the hispanic population</p>

<p>All who receive this honor should be very proud of themselves.</p>

<p>I think the 5000 number includes honorable mention and scholars. Does anybody have a breakdown of scholars vs honorable mention?</p>

<p>tt1, I’ve never seen a breakdown between HM & scholars published.</p>

<p>wlm,
I really enjoy the camaraderie on this forum, it is unlike any I have encountered on the rest of CC. It gives me a good feeling that we’re all working together to share and spread valuable information. I feel that we’re making small but meaningful progress towards opening up the possibility of a college education for any student that is willing to work hard and take on that responsibility.</p>

<p>Thanks for the great help on National Hispanic recognition. We did get our letter this week, and school certificate should come soon. My son still looking at UT Austin, but he is not in the top 8% for auto admit. Good scores 2120 SAT, GPA 3.7, but class rank is low 400 /1060.
He is AP scholar with Honor, over 150 hours of community service, band, track captain,… He has done nicely, but not sure if nice eenough for UT Austin, Computer Science program.</p>

<p>Hi is also looking at Baylor, and Carnegie Mellon, and Georgia Tech.</p>

<p>Any help or advice is always appreciated!</p>

<p>Chalat:</p>

<p>I know I sound like a broken record but you might want to add Ohio State to your son’s list. With his stats and his NHRP he would get a buckeye scholarship for the out of state contribution and then additional scholarship for the NHRP designation. Plus he would probablly be invited to compete for the Morrill Scholarship which could cover the rest. Our son is a freshman and we have been so impressed with the school. They bend over backwards to see that the students achieve success and the Office of Minority Affairs is wonderful. Right now is there time that they are flying kids in for “Scarlett and Great” so if you are interested see if your son can get a free trip to check out the school and their programs. </p>

<p>Carnegie Mellon will be tough with your son’s GPA. I don’t know about the other schools.</p>

<p>Thanks ITSV - Not a broken record at all! Love the great advice and will look at those as well. I agree Carnegie is a hard one too. This has been a challenge, and also a great adventure for our son, and us.</p>

<p>We will keep you posted!</p>

<p>I received my acceptance letter in the mail yesterday :).</p>

<p>I’m very thrilled, as this will strengthen my application immensely. Hopefully it gives me that extra “push” to get into those highly selective schools.</p>

<p>Does Texas fall under the region of south or southwest?</p>

<p>In this thread, post #4, a member reports calling up the CB and finding out that the cutoff for TX this year is 182, so it must be considered Southwest:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/915179-nhrp-state-cutoff-scores-class-2011-a.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/915179-nhrp-state-cutoff-scores-class-2011-a.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>As I mentioned in an earlier post my son received his NHRP letter from the college board. However in the letter it also stated that the school would receive notice of his recognition along with a certificate. My son’s recognition has not been acknowledged by his school nor has he been given any certificate. I’m wondering if anyone out there has received the officicial certificate sent to their school from the college board? And if its another thing I will need to followup on (unfortunately just found out that sons GC of 4 years is out and will not be back by time college apps are due) Since she is the one who writes one of his recommendations, I hope things don’t fall through the cracks.</p>

<p>My son also has not been recognized by his school. Our district issued a press release recognizing merit semi-finalists, merit commended, and national achievement scholars. No mention of national hispanic scholars.</p>

<p>We too have received the letter but not the certificate yet, as I recall, they usually come in Nov, but I could be off there. If he has the letter, there shouldn’t be any problem with his putting the award on college apps, seeking NHRP scholarships, etc.</p>

<p>I received my certificate yesterday from my counselor. I live in WA</p>

<p>received the certificate in MA about 2 weeks ago.</p>

<p>Daughter in CA received official certificate about 1 or 2 weeks ago from school counselor.</p>

<p>My son received his letter about a month ago and the school notified me that he will be presented with his certificate soon…he’s the 1st in our school to receive this honor.</p>

<p>Congrats to newly named NHS! My two children were NHS. My son is a senior at Ohio State, and my daughter is a freshman at Auburn. Both received very generous scholarships. My son has loved every minute at OSU, and my daughter is really enjoying Auburn. I encourage all NHS to take a look at these excellent schools. OSU has a weekend for minority students where they will fly them out. Auburn has Presidential Scholar days (you have to pay your own way, but it’s worth it). They both made my children feel valued and wanted. Let me know if you have any questions about either.</p>

<p>cubanteacher, what is your son’s major at OSU? I have heard so many good things about their honors program – on CC and in conversations with people who have attended.</p>