National Hispanic Recognition Program

<p>Good question, the Regional cutoffs are listed here:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/915179-nhrp-state-cutoff-scores-class-2011-a-2.html?highlight=cutoffs[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/915179-nhrp-state-cutoff-scores-class-2011-a-2.html?highlight=cutoffs&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>But I’m not sure if PR would be considered in the Southern region or separately. I’d advise you call NHRP, they will tell you.</p>

<p>Does anyone know when the class of 2012 cut off scores are released?</p>

<p>If you look at last year’s thread in the post above, the first cutoffs started coming out in about the 3rd week in April.</p>

<p>When do we get this award? I think I got it (I got a 203 and I am from TX), and it would be helpful.</p>

<p>See the OP for NHRPs website which gives the timeline for awards. What they don’t state is that any time now HS GCs will start to be notified by NHRP of students who marked Hispanic on their PSAT and qualify for their Regional cutoff. The GC needs to respond and give the gpa and verification that the student is Hispanic to keep the process moving.</p>

<p>Yes, 203 should qualify anywhere. See the link in post #301 for the Regional cut offs last year, they rarely change by more than a point or two.</p>

<p>All right, thanks.</p>

<p>I received confirmation from CollegeBoard’s NHRP program today that cutoff for California (which I think is also the whole western region) is 185.</p>

<p>^1 point higher than last year for the Western Region. In past years there has also been a SW, but no NW Region.</p>

<p>Entomom, as the mom of a Junior just embarking on this process, can I already thank you for the information you have gathered here? I knew nothing of the NHRP program, or many of these opportunities, until reading your posts over the last few months!</p>

<p>You’re welcome chessymom! Glad CC has been helpful for you, it’s often hard to find reliable information. We have a wonderful group of members on this forum who are willing to share and support each other, I hope you’ll stick around for next year’s cycle.</p>

<p>A word of advice to recipients of NHRP:</p>

<p>Many colleges require that you submit proof of your recognition in order to qualify for the scholarships they offer, and you have to take the initiative if you want them. For example, Auburn offers a fantastic scholarship for NHRP members, but my girlfriend had to actually mail the school a copy of her award letter (which you will receive in the mail this fall) and an attached note saying she qualified for the scholarship before the school gave her anything.</p>

<p>Moral of the story: save the letter they sent you! I threw mine away and had a hard time getting another.</p>

<p>^Thanks for the heads up! I always keep any letters of recognition, grades, etc. for my kids in a file just in case we need them at a later date. As well as NHRP, your HS receives notification of your designation, and they would be a possible source for a copy.</p>

<p>^^^^That’s right. S2 kept insisting that the school would know because the high school would send it. Ha. They did want a copy of the award (which we definitely had and the high school didn’t) and that translated into $5k/year.</p>

<p>My son, a junior, told me he marked his ethnicity as Puerto Rican on the PSAT but I haven’t heard anything from NHRP. Have you all already heard from NHRP? Is it an automatic thing that they would contact a student whose scores are above the cutoff?</p>

<p>We’re in Ca. and my son got a 225 PSAT.</p>

<p>Your son’s school guidance counselor should be notified in the next month, I believe, to confirm his ethnicity and GPA back to NHRP. Official notices don’t come out until the fall. I just emailed personally last week to get the cutoff score for California (185), since I knew my daughter was likely to get the Scholar recognition later this year. So it isn’t official yet, but it should be something we should plan on when considering colleges!</p>

<p>We homeschool so I’m not sure how that works. He got the PSAT sent to our home so I guess I can assume he’ll get notification sent to our home.</p>

<p>BTW, I like your screen name. My son is a competitive chess player. :-)</p>

<p>I’m not sure how homeschooling works, but I’d assume they’d send it to you. There should be some people posting soon that they have been notified by their HS GC about qualifying for NHRP. If you don’t hear anything in May, you can call NHRP directly and explain your situation. They tend to be very good about including kids who got missed for some reason, we’ve had people here who contact NHRP in the fall and still get recognition.</p>

<p>My son got it in the mail today. :-)</p>

<p>Where do you live that your son got it in the mail yesterday? and did he hear from guidance department at school first? Is it the certificate or paperwork to apply? Sorry for all the questions, our daughter is our oldest and we are brand new to all of this. Thanks and congrats to your son!</p>

<p>Hi hope2help,</p>

<p>We are in So. Cal. Since we homeschool under the private school affidavit, I am my son’s guidance counselor so I sign the form. It’s a one page form that the student has to sign and the guidance counselor signs with info regarding gpa and certifying that the student is at least 1/4 Hispanic. You have until June 30th to fax it so I wouldn’t worry if your child’s GC hasn’t gotten it yet.</p>