National Hispanic Recognition Program

<p>Thanks for letting me know, my d’s school is completely unfamiliar with NHRP so I’m worried that the paperwork might go in the round file unnoticed. Best of luck to your son!</p>

<p>Do check with your HS GC as the papers often get sent to the wrong person, get thrown away, etc. If you don’t hear anything by mid-May, have your GC give NHRP a call and they will send the paperwork.</p>

<p>I’m from Puerto Rico, when would I receive this letter if I were a candidate?</p>

<p>Notification goes to your HS GC, letters generally come sometime this month. If you don’t hear anything by the end of May, I’d have your GC call NHRP so that they can get the information in before your school ends for the summer.</p>

<p>If I recall correctly, I got a 199 on my PSAT, which I believe should qualify for where I live. My school has not had a NHS in any recent years, and I asked my guidance counselor about the program, but her knowledge was limited. I presume that at some point she may call me down to inform me?
Will I get something in the mail regarding it?
Thanks!</p>

<p>If you marked Hispanic when you took your PSAT, then your school should receive notification this month and you HS GC will have to verify your ethnicity and give your gpa. At this time GCs usually notify students about the procedure. However, GCs often don’t know what to do or the notification can be sent to the wrong person. </p>

<p>You do not get anything now from NHRP, only your HS is notified. So I suggest you do what I recommended in the previous post if you don’t hear anything.</p>

<p>If you marked Hispanic when you took your PSAT, then your school should receive notification this month and you HS GC will have to verify your ethnicity and give your gpa. At this time GCs usually notify students about the procedure. However, GCs often don’t know what to do or the notification can be sent to the wrong person. </p>

<p>You do not get anything now from NHRP, only your HS is notified. So I suggest you do what I recommended in the previous post if you don’t hear anything.</p>

<p>I guess I was not expecting anything in this regard until the fall. My son marked Hispanic on the PSAT ( he’s 100% Hispanic) , got a 230 on the PSAT. We did get the initial letter from the school from NMS, but no mention of NHR. Just to clarify, should I contact the school now?</p>

<p>^I just took a look at the NHRP website in order to post their timeline. The problem is that their timeline does not include the part that the HS GC plays this spring, they do however mention it in their FAQ section:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Thus far here on CC, only one home schooled student has reported hearing from NHRP this year, so it sounds like notice has not gone out to GCs yet. I would give your school a week or two, if you don’t hear by then, have your HS GC call NHRP.</p>

<p>My guidance counselor is out of the loop what should I do??</p>

<p>Tell your GC you think you qualify for NHRP based on your PSAT score and give them the website so that they can understand how it works. Alert them that notifications should be coming out soon to HS GCs and have them contact you when it comes. At that point they need to confirm your ethnicity and give NHRP your gpa. If they are not notified, have them contact NHRP using the email address or phone number on the website.</p>

<p>Does anyone know the Texas cut off score yet? Or how I can find out it?</p>

<p>The regional cut-offs for last year are linked in post #301 of this thread. For this year, you will have to call NHRP and see if they have them yet.</p>

<p>We had better luck emailing than calling, which resulted in a seemingly endless loop of transfers. Email is <a href="mailto:nhrp@collegeboard.org">nhrp@collegeboard.org</a>.</p>

<p>I’m happy to say that apparently the paperwork arrived to DD’s school from NHRP. They called her down to the GC’s office today. I’m not exactly sure what happens next? but at least it’s a step in the right direction. Good luck to all hoping for NHR.</p>

<p>Well I was called in to my GC office today to verify that I am hispanic and that my gpa is a 3.0 or higher (which it is). Does that mean I have made it? Just in case anyone wants to know, I live in Texas and I got a 186 on my PSAT.</p>

<p>My S’s wonderful GC called me at home to tell me that he is one of two eligible for NHRP at his school. She cautioned me repeatedly that he cannot list it on his resume until the official notification arrives in, probably, September.</p>

<p>Congratulations to everyone glad to hear so many have qualified!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>If they contacted your GC, your PSAT score must qualify; a gpa of 3.0-3.49 qualifies for Honorable Mention, you need a 3.5 for Scholar designation.</p>

<p>DS got his letter today also. We live in Texas and he got a 213 on his PSAT.</p>

<p>So if I was asked to sign the forms, I am hispanic, and my gpa is over a 3.5, am I guaranteed to get it?</p>

<p>I’m just worried that my counselor will somehow record my gpa wrong or something.</p>

<p>If I do not get a letter in Sept. Can I contact NHRP about it and get it fixed?</p>