National Hispanic Recognition Program

@DominicBayer‌ Yes, you can be both. NHRP and NMS are run by different organizations. My son is a both a Merit Scholar and NHRP as well. Good luck!

I think if you have a decent GPA and a recommendation from your GC (or maybe they just have to cerfify that you are hispanic which they do by asking the parent) then you are in. Don’t worry too much.

@goingoing. Thanks for the reply, this really is helpful. Congratulations on your son’s great accomplishment.

A GPA of 3.5 is required to become an NHRP Scholar. Anyone know what a 91 GPA is on NHRP’s 4.0 scale? My school only does weighted 100 point scale.

Obviously, I want the school to submit a weighted GPA.

I identify as hispanic because I was born and spent almost my entire life in Spain (which apparently counts as hispanic)… my parents aren’t hispanic though, they moved to Spain long before I was born - they’re middle eastern. So, basically, both my parents and I are, legally, Spanish, but my parents weren’t born Spanish, they just lived there and got their citizenship. I know it’s confusing, but does anyone know if I would qualify??

The “span” in Hispanic is derived from “Spain”. I would imagine if you were born in Spain, that should count as Hispanic!

sragg98, what does the website for NHRP say?

I believe that the definition of Hispanic for this purpose is your ethnic heritage. Can you trace your roots to Latin America, Spain, etc? No, you can trace your roots to the Middle East. The NHRP is not intended for you, nor is it intended for my kids, who under your definition would be Hispanic. In fact they are not.

Actually, since the poster was born in Spain, I believe that the poster might meet the qualification.

The best way to know 100%, would be to call. 1-507-931-0624.

Here’s what the College Board website says:

“NHRP’s Definition of Hispanic/Latino
To qualify for this program, students must be at least one-quarter Hispanic/Latino. Hispanic/Latino is an ethnic category, not a racial category; students may be of any race. For purposes of the NHRP, students must be from a family whose ancestors came from at least one of these countries: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Spain, Uruguay, or Venezuela.”

@saragg98’s ancestors came from the Middle East.

If it were any other way, then a Caucasian kid born and raised in Nigeria could qualify for the National Achievement Program. Don’t think it works that way.

Thanks for the replies! I know my ancestors aren’t Spanish, even though I am, so I understand why I wouldn’t qualify. Still, I’ll ask my guidance counselor and/or call NHRP to see what they say

Good plan, @saragg98. You mention that your parents are citizens of Spain. We’re assuming you are a US citizen (or otherwise meet the requirements in that regard).

@barfly The National Achievement Scholar recognition is made by a totally different entity than the Hispanic Recognition Program, so the parameters are not necessarily comparable although we may like them to be. Also, the NAS program specifically refers to Black Americans comprising the pool of eligible candidates (thus disqualifying a Caucasian child born and raised in Nigeria). The official eligibility form for NHRP says that one is originally from OR descended from inhabitants from…and then the countries are listed. OP seems to meet both requirements. While the (OP) student probably is proficient in Arabic, if the parents spoke it at home, the likelihood of Spanish being a predominant language in the student’s life is quite high if the student was raised in Spain for a great part of his or her upbringing. The NHRP targets a Spanish speaking group – where the language versus race of origin is the dominant determinant. It will be interesting to hear what the College Board tells @saragg98.

I have a question. Does receiving the letter informing you of qualifying for the program mean you are automatically guaranteed to receive the award as long as you apply?

I think if you have the required GPA and fill out all the forms you need to, then pretty much yes

Ok thanks!