NC State Engineering College admissions chances [NC resident,3.75 GPA]

Demographics

• US domestic (US citizen or permanent resident) or international student - US citizen
  • State/Location of residency: (state is important if you apply to any state universities) - Charlotte, NC
  • Type of high school (current college for transfers): Competitive high school in CMS, dual enrolling at community college
  • Gender/Race/Ethnicity (optional): Indian
  • Other special factors (first generation to college, legacy, athlete, etc.):
    Intended Major(s)

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores - all stats are what they will be during time of applying

• Unweighted HS GPA: 3.75
  • Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): 4.44
  • College GPA (for transfers): dont know
  • Class Rank: close to top 10%, or just outside, lke 12 or 13%, worst case scenerio top 15%
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 1460-1500 range assume

Coursework
(AP/IB/Dual Enrollment classes, AP/IB scores for high school; also include level of math and foreign language reached and any unusual academic electives; for transfers, describe your college courses and preparation for your intended major(s)) - 10 APs from school, including Calc AB/BC, Micro and macro, lang, lit, etc… Reached french 3, Dual enrolling at communinty college with credits like American history, Statistics, Astronmy, and classes i am taking senior year Calc 3, Human geo, and maybe one or two more.

Awards - Star or Life Scout rank, FBLA states placement 3 years in a row,

Extracurriculars
(Include leadership, summer activities, competitions, volunteering, and work experience)

• BSA (Boy scouts) - been instructor and Patrol leader
  • Aviation club president (been officer this year)
    -Hopefully will get FBLA club president (at school) (was officer this year)
    -Elementary school science Olympiad volunteering/coaching - 20+ hours, coach/mentor science Olympiad kids and prepare them for competition
    -MYEP CATS Human resources paid internship over summer
  • Many dual enrollment classes
    -School frisbee team
    -Basketball as hobby but nothing organized expect rec league
  • CAD and revit certified
    -Deca just a member

Essays/LORs/Other - One LOR from a teacher and one from Scout master
(Optionally, guess how strong these are and include any other relevant information or circumstances.) Essays will be relatively strong since I will start over the summer and have many people review them.

Cost Constraints / Budget - no general constraints
(High school students: please get a budget from your parents and use the Net Price Calculators on the web sites of colleges of interest.)

Schools
(List of colleges by your initial chance estimate; designate if applying ED/EA/RD; if a scholarship is necessary for affordability, indicate that you are aiming for a scholarship and use the scholarship chance to estimate it into the appropriate group below)

• Safety (certain admission and affordability) - UNCC safety
  • Likely (would be possible, but very unlikely or surprising, for it not to admit or be affordable)
  • Match
  • Reach
    Chance me for NC state engineering school with these stats, thanks!

with related class word to engineering - Honors physics, PLTW IED, PLTW civil engineering and architecture, planning to do Mechanical engineering specifically.

I’ll say high match to low reach - ie guy def need a safety. Your test is good. Your gpa and rank may be a bit light.

I know many say the hs matters you go to and I can’t evaluate that.

UNCC is a fine safety if you would be ok attending.

If not there are several OOS flagships that would love to have you and throw money your way.

Good luck.

https://www.engr.ncsu.edu/admissions/freshman-admissions/

Its a competitive high school in CMS, AKHS

I would suggest you get the second LOR from an academic teacher in the STEM field.

1 Like

@tsbna44 the student assumes he will get this score. It sounds like he hasn’t received this result yet.

To the OP…let us know what your SAT score is…when you actually receive it.

1 Like

my first LOR will be from either a Math teacher or from a Drafting/ Civil engineering teacher.

I would suggest that you have TWO teachers who have had you in class as your LOR. Check the colleges, but many clearly state this is what they want. Scout Master is not an academic teacher. If the college allows a third reference…I would use that.

@Mwfan1921 your thoughts about the LOR?

Nc state doesn’t require any and 2 is their max, which is why I thought having one from an outside source would be unique and give a better perspective of myself even outside of school.

But even with that aside what would your opinion be on my chances currently for NCSU engineering.

Also is it bad to have a rec from a freshmen year teacher if you believe they could write the best stuff bout you?

Since they don’t require them, it’s open and it’s highly doubtful they will make an impact.

The more recent the better though because they can best speak to you today.

Thanks for the help, but with that aside what are my chances based on these stats. My school data has shown that almost everybody with my stats gets in but it doesn’t specify if it is the Engineering college or regular admission.

Your desired engineering is civil, electrical, mechanical, or systems?

I answered. I think it’s gonna be a bit tough but nowhere near impossible.

Your gpa is below engineering and they state most are top 10%.

This is why you have a safety - and you do.

The question isn’t NC State but based on it’s not a lock, would you be happy at UNCC or should you find an alternative safety ?

1 Like

I think it’s nice to have more than one sure thing for acceptance that you like and is affordable…because it’s nice to have a choice…if those are your acceptances.

1 Like

Your HS is very competitive with many high stat students. You look competitive at first glance, but if your HS uses Naviance, check the scattergrams to see how students from Class of 2023 with similar stats to yours, fared with NC State.

As others have said, with engineering particularly, give yourself enough safety/match/target options.

1 Like

Just checked in the history of my school people with a 1400+ and 4.4+ only 3 people have gotten rejected/wait listed based on the data.

Thanks, but will the gpa being slightly taxing severely impact my chances? Can a higher SAT (around 1460) and better ecs which i have can make up for it?

Again and you yourself just said 3 people at your #s got rejected.

Is that 100% of engineers? 50%? The fact that it’s any is what matters.

Bottom line is you NEED a safety. You know who can truly chance you ? NC State. No one else can. Will you be happy at UNCC ? If not, add other OOS flagships. Some will be dirt cheap.

No, ECs don’t make up for the cite attributes.

I know you don’t like the answer but you asked the question.

There’s certainly a decent chance it happens but if I was betting, I’d put money on no. And you’ve yet to secure the test score you are using.