Need help figuring out the best way to get into nursing

<p>Hi all - I'm a 31 year old who is interested in going back to school to become a nurse. This would represent a major career change for me, but it's something I've been wanting to do for a long time. The problem is that it's very difficult to find good information on learning which programs are most appropriate for me, so I'm hoping that maybe you folks might have some insight on how to get me from here to there.</p>

<p>I'm currently gainfully employed in a low-level tech field, I'm 31 (as I mentioned), and I'm male. I have a bachelor's degree and a master's degree, neither in the sciences and I didn't take more than the basics quite a while ago, so I need to cover my prereqs or find a program that integrates the prereqs. I live in Texas but am more than willing to pack up and move elsewhere to go to a program - I intend on doing this full-time once I'm in. I don't want to take unnecessary classes or pay more money than I have to. The goal is ultimately to become an RN but I'd be okay with a fast-moving LVN program that puts me in a position to move up shortly thereafter. </p>

<p>Any help for an increasingly old foggy like me? Thanks everybody!</p>

<p>Start out investigating in-state public programs. Make a chart with all of their prerequisites, admission requirements and costs (including all fees). Talk to an admissions counselor at your top couple choices, to find out alternatives and the difficulty of admission. You may be able to complete the prereqs at a local community college or another affordable public college. Some courses work well as online courses (such as some social studies courses). </p>

<p>If there are not sufficient opportunities among in-state publics, then I’d look at opportunities in other states and private colleges. However, most private colleges offer most of their aid to incoming freshman. Most public universities offer little aid to out of state students.</p>