Need Help With College Choice

<p>I have my choice narrowed down to two schools: Case Western and University of Scranton. There are certain things I like and dislike about each school. I could see myself going to Scranton more than Case, but I know Case has the better Nursing program. I have been vacillating between the two for weeks now. Basically my heart says Scranton but my mind says Case. I really need help because I have to decide in a few days. Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks</p>

<p>go with your mind, Case is significantly better for Nursing then Scranton…</p>

<p>If it’s a tiebreaker, go for the more affordable choice. Then see how you feel about it and if your gut is saying “no”, reconsider…</p>

<p>CW is ranked #15 in grad RN programs and Scranton #193 in grad RN programs. I looked at CW stats and is definitley much higher ranked nursing program and you will have that on your resume for life. While I am partial to U of S in general, from an analytical point of view, CW would be the better choice. What is you draw for Scranton… The answer may be a deal maker or breaker…</p>

<p>In no particular order, I’d say consider </p>

<ol>
<li> cost (I generally use the price of a car as a tiebreaker, since car loan payments are typically affordable), </li>
<li> location (where you will be doing your clinicals and internships may be your first opportunities for jobs), </li>
<li> number of clinical experiences (actually doing nursing work will help you be a better nurse), </li>
<li> facilities and nursing professors (Smaller classes and the latest sims are good. Is the library conveniently located and well-stocked? Can you get coffee in the library LOL?)</li>
<li> Distance from home (This could be important if you might get homesick. You could also be incurring travel costs, and will have to figure out how to get home for long holiday weekends like Easter or Thanksgiving.)</li>
<li> program (Do the classes look both interesting and do-able? If you have trouble with chemistry, for example, is a required chemistry class in a semester that you have a lot of other tough classes? Do you get enough or too many electives? Do you know if nursing students take courses on a curve or not? Pass rates on licensing exam?)</li>
<li> other students (Did you get to talk to existing students? Do they recommend their program? Ask them the best and worst things about their schools. Are they happy?)</li>
<li> lifestyle (Do you like the location of the school? Does it have activities for students? Stores? Pizza and Chinese takeout? Sports events? A mall? Whatever you think is important.)</li>
<li> Grad School (If you’re planning graduate school, which school will help you get there? Getting great grades at School A can offset poor grades at School B. However, if School B has a grad school preference or guarantee and you planned on going to grad school right after college, this can be offset).</li>
</ol>

<p>I intentionally put these in an odd number of bullets. If you analyze each school and determine a winner in each category, you will see a pattern. One school will win. You can then evaluate the factors that made it the winner. Some people might say “Program” should be the only thing that matters. IMO, though, each of these criteria are important.</p>

<p>I do not consider the US News rankings of grad students to be decisive. Their grad school rankings are weighted on things like research that do not guarantee good undergrad experiences, and a ranking definitely doesn’t determine “fit” for any particular student.</p>

<p>My D considered a number of nursing programs last year. The nursing program at Scranton is a very good program. I am not sure the graduate nursing rankings mean anything when you are looking at undergraduate programs. The undergraduate reputation for the nursing program at Scranton is excellent.</p>

<p>There are 3 hospitals within walking distance from campus. D is only a freshman and has taken nursing classes and volunteered at one of the hospitals. The program is fairly small. The professors are interested in the students, and clinical rotations start sophomore year. Acceptance in to graduate programs is also excellent.</p>

<p>She is home for Easter vacation. She mentioned that 100% of the nursing students who graduated last year found jobs very quickly. The pass rate for the NCLEX is very high. She has friends at some “higher ranked” schools, and seems to have a curriculum that meets or exceeds many of those nursing programs. She is a lot happier at Scranton than some of her friends at other schools too.</p>

<p>I would say if your heart says Scranton, …go for it…;)</p>

<p>My D just told us that it is the best decision she made. We never would have guessed that a year ago when she was trying to decide.</p>

<p>Neonzeus, that was really good advice! I think it should be stickied somewhere for all nursing students to use in their decision making.</p>

<p>My own 2 cents is that I feel as a student, given the choice, go for the program that works in the most progressive hospitals. You will have exposure to innovative treatments that take years to filter down to the smaller places.</p>