Need to learn about the graduate Business School

<p>Hi, y’all. I have a question totally unrelated to the apparent prank threats that have shaken the campus last night and today. (Should I be panicking about these, BTW??? I assume the UAPD is telling us the truth when it says that the threats were fabricated by pranksters via social media??)</p>

<p>Anyway…here’s my question. My son, a senior, is trying to figure out what to do after graduation. He’s a double major in History and Classics. When he entered UA, he figured he’d be going to law school, but he’s not really interested in that any more. Up until recently, he was thinking about getting his MA in History at UA, then going overseas with the Peace Corps, then coming back and trying to get a job with the State Department. (I know…convoluted.) </p>

<p>But now one of his advisers is encouraging him to attend the Business School (Manderson, I believe?). This prof claims the Business School loves history majors, presumably because history nerds have research skills. :wink: My son is psyched about this, which surprises me, but I’m fine with it! In fact, I used to tell him that he should seriously consider a career in market research, because (a) he has always loved demographics and stuff like that; (b) market research is a hot field right now; (c) from what I’ve seen at my own workplace, market researchers have a lot of autonomy; they basically get left alone to do what they do best; they aren’t micromanaged to death; and this is a Good Thing! So, if DS wants to go to B Shool and perhaps consider a market research career, or something similar, well, more power to him! (Of course, he never paid any attention to <em>me</em> when I suggested this career path, but now that his prof has suggested it, he’s all ears, LOL!)</p>

<p>So, OK, then, what’s my question? Very simple. What’s the reputation of Manderson, the UA Graduate Business School? DS would kind of like to stay in Tuscaloosa next year and room with one of his friends. Plus, he is now technically an Alabama resident, so he could get in-state tuition. But it will still be a steep investment for him, and he will probably have to take out loans (which he has not had to do up till now). So, he and I would like to know beforehand if an MBA from Manderson could actually help him get an OK job. I confess that I know nothing about Manderson, as DS has not been thinking along these lines until now.</p>

<p>BTW–he’s been invited to apply via streamlined admission (no LSAT) to the Law School. I do think he should do this, too, because why not? What could it hurt? If they admit him, he could always decline. He has a 3.95 GPA, so apparently he could qualify. Anyway…</p>

<p>Sorry for long-winded question. We parents of non-STEM majors have our own special set of concerns, I guess!</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!!</p>

<p>:adyDianeski</p>

<p>P.S. Cross-posted at Facebook and got some great answers, but…the more the merrier!</p>

<p>He should apply to the law school since he doesn’t have to take the LSAT.</p>

<p>Well, it sounds like you’ve learned that market researchers are in demand and seem to have great jobs, so doesn’t sound like there is a lot to fear.</p>

<p>BTW…just so others can learn, how did he get residency?</p>

<p>Getting an MBA would take more than a year. A specialty master’s degree could be done in a year if he has already satisfied the prerequisites.</p>

<p>Many people caution those who wish to work in industry from getting an MBA before having 3-5 years of work experience. MBA programs have a very significant networking component and it’s a good idea to have some full time work experience when talking with recruiters and classmates.
.<br>
He may be able to get a scholarship or fellowship from Manderson since he has already done very well at UA and some professors are asking him to consider getting a graduate business degree from UA. </p>

<p>Has your son gone over to Bidgood Hall and talked with the Manderson staff members? He could sit in on some classes and talk with the professors and current students to see if it’s a good decision for him to make.</p>

<p>Tuition and for the 2-year MBA program are currently running around $13,500 per year for in-state students.</p>

<p>OP, when reading you post I had the same question as mom2 - how did he get residency as a student?</p>

<p>You may encourage your son to take a year or two and spend that time in the work force. I say that because it may increase his chances to earn additional scholarship money. One of my son’s friends wants to pursue an MBA at an Ivy League school. His interviewer was very nice, and explained that he could be in line for big money if he works a few years. That’s exactly what he is doing – and his job takes him to Europe every few months.</p>

<p>As for being an Alabama resident, did your son register his car there? Pay taxes there? Those are the types of things that secure residency.</p>