New Admissions System Starting Now?

<p>Greetings.</p>

<p>While I was hanging around here, I've been hearing that a new admissions system for picking undergraduates is going to be used this year (specifically for the Engineering Department). Does anyone have any idea on what this means? Does this mean that the old 'rolling admission' system is going to be totally replaced?</p>

<p>Howdy theconcernedone!</p>

<p>What I’ve heard is that rolling admissions will continue until engineering hits a certain percentage of the acceptances they plan to make. After that point, any applications up until the December 1 priority deadline will be considered in a holistic review. Engineering plans to admit 10-15% from this holistic review. In order to be eligible for the holistic review, applicants would have to have both first and second choice majors in the college of engineering.</p>

<p>This is the detail I’ve heard secondhand. I would encourage you to contact Admissions and/or the college of engineering to confirm.</p>

<p>Best,</p>

<p>Jon Kotinek
Associate Director
Honors and Undergraduate Research</p>

<p>So, it is rolling until the number hits a certain point. And after that, it is holistic review.
Thank you for the information!</p>

<p>Does anybody know that point???</p>

<p>Sounds like it’s rolling until it hits 85%-90% full, and then the rest go on holistic review. Don’t remember how many engineering students were auto and academic admit last year. Those stats are sort of out there - but you have to do a little wading and deciphering, and I don’t have the energy right now.</p>

<p>I would guess that if you put engineering as your first and second option, wound up in holistic review for engineering, and didn’t make it, you’d be in general education?</p>

<p>Wait - is it possible you could make it into TAMU’s holistic review, but not engineering’s?</p>

<p>Confusing. When someone knows, can they post?</p>

<p>This is very concerning. I put engineering as my first choice major but did not put an engineering major as second choice. Will I not be considered in the holistic review simply because of my second choice? How can I change it now as I already submitted in applytexas?</p>

<p>It is not difficult to change your major once you receive a UIN and set up your Applicant Information System (AIS) page. There will be a link on the page that you can click and change both first and second choice majors if you want to. There may be limit on the number of times you can change it, but you can change your second choice major to one of the engineering colleges there.</p>

<p>Thanks Giveandtake. Very helpful. Will check it out once the UIN is received. If this process is indeed how they plan to handle the admits, I think they are going to cause a bit of trouble. They should explain this in the application.</p>

<p>Just spoke with an Engineering Dept. front office and was told that for fall 2014 incoming engineering freshman they will not be assigned “petro” or “mech,” etc., but will all come in as general engineering. That’s what the deans have told them so far. The depts are still not too clear, however, on how they will later (prior to or upon completion of CBK courses) have the students pick or apply for their respective disciplines (perhaps by GPA?). #guineapigs?!</p>

<p>So applied in August and am looking to get into engineering but am just outside of academic admit. ACT 29 (34 Math), Top 25% with 4.0 unweighted and 10 AP classes. Does the new process mean that I am in the later holistic review competing for last 10-15% of spots or will they let review admits in during the Oct/Nov period? In other words, when should I hear?</p>

<p>^ I would like to know this as well.</p>

<p>Does anyone have info on what GPA will be needed in CBKs to get into the specific engineering majors at the end of freshman year under the new system? </p>

<p>It would be pretty harsh to get in with a merit scholarship, then not get into the major you want that far in. You can transfer to another school, but can’t transfer scholarships. :-{</p>

<p>I don’t think they are letting more people into engineering than under the old system. The idea appears to be to not let people into specific engineering majors until they have completed a couple of semesters and hopefully have a better idea of what they want to maor in. Hopefully, this will reduce the number of students changing majors. All of this said, I don’t anticipate a significant change in required cbk gpa.</p>

<p>This is my take based upon a parents briefing I attended with the corps last week.</p>