New York Special Reception

I have just found out that the New York Special Reception (recruitment event) is being held on November 5th Thursday, at 6-9pm at the Garden City Hotel in Garden City, Long Island, New York,

This has always been a very well attended event with student/parent speakers and a keynote address by a prominent staff member.

There has always been valet parking available in the past, excellent finger food and refreshments and a free t-shirt for the prospective student. Normally the student pre-registers but I do not see that form available this year, This may be due to the fact that the recruiter is on maternity leave. However, walk-ins have always been accommodated. Stop at the university representative’s desk to get an ID badge printed when you arrive.

If you have any questions, there are usually plenty of staff and UA parents available, just look for their name tags.

Unfortunately, the CT reception was already held, at a much earlier date than usual, or I would have posted that information as well.

@texasmomalso was wondering about this date, so thanks for posting. hopefully she/he will see this here.

Thank you both. @aeromom & @robotbldmom. I have forwarded the New York info to my cousin. Roll Tide!

@TexasMomalso Certainly glad to help, I hope she can attend with her student.

Bumping this as a reminder.

Again, just a reminder.

Reminder: The reception is This Thursday.
F o r m o r e i n f o r m a t i o n , c a l l ( 2 0 5 ) 3 4 8 - 2 9 1 4 .

How did it go, NY?!
Who were the speakers and what was the presentation about? Any thoughts you have to update are helpful to others.

@aeromom The NY Reception was quite successful with about 300 attendees (prospective students and Parents) by my count. The student speaker was a young female junior who hailed from Pennsylvania and spoke about her Bama experiences from her personal perspective. A dad of two students was the parent speaker and he gave a nice speech touching on his students’ and his family’s experience with selecting UA. In addition, we were quite thrilled to see that Dean Karr was once again the keynote speaker. He is a pleasure to listen to, and always revs up the audience with his enthusiastic style. He is one of my favorite speakers next to Chancellor Witt.

The venue is a plush hotel on the North Shore of Long Island and as always, the food was plentiful and delicious. They have a full (non-alcoholic) beverage area and standing buffets of finger food (cheese, fruit, breads, etc.) along with a dessert bar. They even had cookies with the Alabama “A”, which was a nice touch. There was plenty of wait staff serving various foods such as pizza, sliders, crab cakes and other tidbits. Valet parking is also included at the event for free.

As usual, there were plenty of brochures and university materials available to take home and the students received free t-shirts at the end of the program.

Coming to this reception early is a good idea, because though the event started officially at seven, many attendees who arrived early, were able to mingle with the UA staff and ask questions prior to the presentation. That’s always a great idea, in my opinion.There were plenty of staff members from recruiting and admissions to answer questions, and also parents of current and alumni students in the audience available to answer questions as well.The crowd was very attentive, and many students that I met, were already highly interested in UA. I also met several students who had either committed to UA, or were extremely close to committing. The audience seemed to be a fair mix of seniors and juniors but I did met some sophomore students as well, probably siblings.

My husband and I fielded many questions about both travel time and distance, as it related to both driving and air transportation.There were also many questions about housing and deadlines that I was able to help with.

Our regular recruiter was on maternity leave but the staff from UA’s recruiting and admissions departments, who were there to replace her, could not have been more terrific. I would like to extend a special thank-you to Adrianne Dias, who was exemplary in her job as Regional Recruiter, and did an outstanding job of representing The University of Alabama that evening.

If I can answer any additional questions about the reception or any concerns, please feel free to post or PM me.

Sorry I had to miss it this year…

The Chicago area reception is tonight - on the FB parents page it says President Bell is coming. Hope they have a good crowd at the Westin in Lombard.

@Chardo It was another great event but we certainly missed you. :slight_smile: