Newbie Question re: Housing Deposit

<p>Lovemykids2 I am with you…my stomach was doing flip flops when I clicked on the pay housing deposit now button! How did my baby get so old? Especially since I have not aged at all! :wink: </p>

<p>Process was easy as can be. Now to wait for the roommate finder to be put online.</p>

<p>94Atlanta…</p>

<p>No ethical problem…just getting a place in line. Bama knows that some that deposit now might go elsewhere in the end.</p>

<p>Bama probably has a model that they use which tells them the % that deposit who actually enroll for planning purposes.</p>

<p>this isn’t like the ivies, etc, where it is unethical to double-deposit. It’s not a problem at all at Bama with rolling admissions.</p>

<p>Buzymom, you made me laugh because I always tell my kids that they’re getting older and I’m just getting better! :)</p>

<p>I was searching for a baby picture of my son a few weeks ago for his yearbook and he was looking at all of the pictures of me and my husband when we were in our late 20s early 30s and he couldn’t stop shaking his head. He actually said that we look better now than we did then because we had “the weirdest hair styles and clothes.” It really was quite funny!</p>

<p>There is a frost warning for the Chicago area today, Alabama is looking better and better to my son this morning.</p>

<p>Thanks for the clarification that this isn’t getting into the murky waters of a double-deposit. We’ll get it done this weekend.</p>

<p>The question of whether to pay the enrollment deposit and thus be allowed to pay the housing deposit at Alabama can be tricky for students who have applied to other schools via the Common App. One of the agreements you sign for the Common App is as follows:</p>

<p>I affirm that I will send an enrollment deposit (or equivalent) to only one institution; sending multiple deposits (or equivalent) may result in the withdrawal of my
admission offers from all institutions. [Note: students may send an enrollment deposit (or equivalent) to a second institution where they have been admitted from
the waitlist, provided that they inform the first institution that they will no longer be enrolling.]</p>

<p>This is why many schools that require an early housing deposit (for instance the University of Texas) do not require acceptance of admission and payment of an admission deposit. In this area by requiring students to pay an enrollment deposit to get in line for housing, Alabama seems to be treading fairly close to the line on the NACAC’s Statement of Principles of Good Practice, which require that schools “to ensure that financial aid and scholarship and housing options are not used to manipulate commitment prior to May 1.” </p>

<p>Because my D applied to other schools via the Common App, we ended up waiting to pay the enrollment and housing deposit until she was sure she would attend Alabama. We did look into whether she could pay a housing deposit only (which would have been consistent with her obligations under the Common App) but learned that Alabama would not accept a housing deposit without payment of an enrollment deposit – so we waited --and yes this did affect her housing priority – but there was still plenty of availability in the Honors Dorms when her selection date arrived.</p>

<p>I can understand the Common App having such a req’t for those depositing to member institutions, but I think it’s odd to have some blanket policy covering schools that aren’t a part of the CA. For one thing, how would the CA people ever know? Bama doesn’t share such info with them.</p>

<p>I wonder if the agreement is really just covering those CA members.</p>

<p>I just completed the housing deposit for my son. He is still trying to get his honors essay just right, so has not put in the honors application yet. So the housing ap. says the he is not in an honors college, and it is a pre-filled section. Will thic change automatically once he completes the honors college app? Or will we need to contact housing and make sure that they change it manually?</p>