NMF Scholarship: Study Abroad stipend - can it be used during school year?

I see that part of the scholarship includes a $2000 summer study abroad stipend. If the student instead chooses to study overseas during the school year can that stipend be applied or must it be used during the summer only?

@mom2collegekids do you know?

THANKS!

My ds has this scholarship. The website says for summer research or study abroad. I think the summer part is referring to the research component as research during the school year should not incur an additional expense if done on campus. But a student could do research in the summer at another university. As far as study abroad, the student can use their tuition scholarship to cover expenses if they go during a regular semester. So if OOS that would be about $14,000 or a bit more for the semester (plus their stipend money). I suppose they could use the $2000 as well, but they could also apply that to a May-mester trip. I hope this makes sense.

Thankyou @BlessedMom3. May-mester trip? I don’t know anything about that. I guess where they just go abroad for a month? Interesting. But if we’re gonna fork out the travel funds, would rather do a semester or at least summer. Plus I think just a month isn’t a whole lot different than just a long trip. Yes, I realized they could use their tuition scholarship to cover tuition overseas. But I was thinking about things like room/board or even travel. So if he didn’t go during the summer is it use it or lose it, or can he apply it during the year. I guess I can call them and find out. Thanks!

That “May Mester” is actually a very good deal. My DS is NMF and used his study abroad scholarship then…got an A+ in the class and got three credits for it…a great GPA booster if needed.