NMF scholarship

Right. It’s for ACT 32 or SAT equivalent only.

LucieTheLakie - thanks for the feedback, makes sense.

mom2collegekids - thanks also, and I am sorry I don’t know what that student got on their SAT. I coached a number of high academic kids through high school, and we had many kids who got 34-36 ACT’s, all near 4.0 GPA. some are going to Stanford, Duke, Princeton, Vandy, and top Public schools like IU, UA, Purdue, etc… and we did not have a single NMF student. I have always been curious on this topic, and the UA NMF scholarship enhancement prompted me to ask.

I am super happy for anyone who is NMF, and is able to take advantage of this awesome and enhanced opportunity from UA!!! Congrats.

I think a lot of students don’t pay much attention to the PSAT because they see that the NM scholarships are “only” $2000, which certainly won’t go far nowadays. They don’t prep for it or eat breakfast or take it seriously at all.

Our high school administers the test at 7:30 AM. Good grief.

I try to educate people about the many college-based opportunities open to NMFs, including guaranteed full scholarships and full rides. (Unfortunately my own NMF kid was not interested in any of those schools, preferring the tiny LACs.)

Ok, well then he/she may have done quite well on the exam. Many students have very different scores when they take the ACT/SAT. The student had to have taken the SAT otherwise he/she never would have been named a NMF.

UA just notified us that they have increased the NMF package to include four years of on-campus housing. This increases their offer to $194,100! Roll Tide!

I think the NMF package is an awesome deal & UA is a great school with many opportunities and a great lifestyle for students-when we toured her junior year we were very impressed! My D missed the cut off for NMF but is a top student at her highly selective independent school, scored a 33 (superscored 34) on ACT & was awarded the Presidential at UA. She was a semi-finalist for the University Fellows Program at UA (felt good about her in person interviews, etc.) but ultimately did not make final 30 cut–if she would have been chosen for the program she would have committed to UA immediately and would have never toured 2 other potential OOS schools. That being said, for the “average” good student (I do not see her as average, but what parent does, right?), the Presidential is a very nice award but with the $25000 per year scholarship & tuition is $280000 + and going up each year she felt the COA (room & board, books, etc)is too much and will probably choose a full tuition or full ride at another school (she is a National Hispanic Recipient) as she is wanting to follow a pre-med track. For a NMF with perks galore UA rocks! We will always look fondly of UA and will Roll Tide all day long!

Yes, it’s the prestige. It’s still a big deal for schools to be able to say they have NMFs and NMSs enrolled. You might be surprised at the doors that NM can open for an otherwise “ordinary” candidate.

This has been noted on other CC threads but I think the Bama increase in NMF funding is in direct response to the Florida Benacquisto full ride NMF scholarship to UF, FSU, etc…For my S18 FSU applicant, he has tuition, room, board, fees, books and estimated transportation costs paid at FSU. Plus he has summer abroad funds of $12,000 from a competitive scholarship application and a small $500 per yr music school scholarship, all stacked on top. We checked Bama out initially and he liked it, but we already were applying to a number of schools that at the time had similar or better scholarships. He definitely would have looked harder at UA with the new scholarship improvements.

Yeah, my son is Commended in PA with a good SAT score. His PSAT/SAT would have qualified him for NMF in several other states. I told him we should have moved to WV for the final 2 years of school. We could get there in about 40 minutes.

@vistajay The UCF NMF package is the full cost of attendance ($144,000) this included travel and personal expenses!

What are UA’s renewal requirements?

For example, it seems the new Benacquisto will be just like it was for in-state:

-10 semesters or completion of Bachelors, whichever comes first
-3.0 cumulative GPA by each spring
-12 credits each fall and spring
-No deferred enrollment in Fall or Spring, or starting college later than Fall 2018 for current HS seniors
-One F, W(ithdrawal), or NC (No credit) will revoke the scholarship completely (Dropping before add/drop deadline is ok)
-If state of FL repeals law, UCF will return to its former scholarship program.

I couldn’t find the exact renewal for UA’s NMF, so I’d be very interested to hear as I have yet to make a decision this April.

Here is our Bama NMF deal - automatic Honors College enrollment, priority registration, 10 semesters of full tuition, 8 semesters of on-campus honors housing (suite style), $3500 NMF annual stipend, $2000 foreign study and research stipend, $2000 technology and book stipend. Total value is $197,100 and is renewable with a 3.0 GPA and full time enrollment.

What an awesome scholarship for NMFs!

Do you only get the Housing allowance in the 2nd-4th years if you live on campus?

@BooBooBear Yes

@GaelRacer is your DS going to Bama? Sounds like an excellent choice, esp with OU pulling back funds. I went to Houston with a NM full ride and then to Columbia MBA. Save money in undergrad and spend it in grad school. UA (and Baylor if full ride) look like the best deals. Bama really prides itself on NMFs.

@tristatecoog Yes, we are dropping our DS off in Tuscaloosa this weekend. He earned $1.7 million in merit aid and took the five year deal at UA. He really liked OU and its NMF program but they have made big cuts to their scholarship package.

Congrats @GaelRacer

@GaelRacer Is the NMF deal the same for everyone or is there differences that have to be negotiated? Is the 3.0 to keep the scholarship standard?

@LOUKYDAD Did your kid go to KY under Patterson scholarship? I found out about it too late but sounded interesting.